Silly old fools

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

"Let's order all our logs in one go," said Joe. "It'll be cheaper and we won't have to think about firewood again for ages."

So we did. Stupidly.

The truck came, and the logs were tipped into the street.  It took us 9 back-breaking hours to clear the street and stack the logs and I have aches in places I didn't even know I possessed. The log shed is full though, hurrah, and we won't need any more for at least a year.

Victoria :)

Chicken wrangler and NYT bestselling author of 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' and the Old Fools series. 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 6:26 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Wow, Victoria. I love this photo! I assume this is the street next to your house?  I'm also guessing any passing traffic was held up until you got the road cleared? Is your house the place on the left of the photo?  It looks like a 'real' Spanish house...just the sort of place we know and love. Bliss....

Any more photos of your place and the surrounding area would be gratefully viewed.

This message was last edited by meggie on 12/11/2011.

Mag

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 7:16 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Hello Meggie,

Our house is very quirky (typical old Spanish house) and that is our garage door, but the window you see belongs to our next door neighbours. We have three entrances to our house, all on different streets - work that out! Luckily, the logs arrived on Wednesday, and as there are only about 8 residents, we didn't annoy anyone too much. If the logs had arrived at the weekend, it would have been a very different story because the village would have been busy. Whew!

This is our village - thank you for asking.

Victoria 

Chicken wrangler and NYT bestselling author of 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' and the Old Fools series. 

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 8:14 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Thank you, Victoria...

I'm sending you my email address as I'd like to recieve your free village updates...

Meggie

Mag

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 8:52 PM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

Awww made me chuckle

Like 0      
13 Nov 2011 11:23 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We ordered a ton and a half of wood this year and I thought that was a lot.

How much wood did you order?  Looks about 5 tons to me!  It will certainly keep you nice and toasty for a few months

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Nov 2011 12:52 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Meggie - Done, should be in your inbox now - sorry for delay and thanks for asking. 

Justin - I'm not sure what the weight was, we just (foolishly) ordered a lorry-load. Joe reckons it was about 5 tons? It cost 1100 euros *grimaces* and the wood is encima, which I think is Spanish oak? Burns beautifully, anyway.

Victoria 

Like 0      
15 Nov 2011 1:56 PM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Sorry to tell you this but we arent having winter this year

Like 0      
15 Nov 2011 4:06 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

How, Johnnie?

Are you just going to pass 'winter' (without collecting your 200 euros) and go straight to 'Spring' or have you bribed Weather to leave you out this year as the rest of us are sitting in front of our fires/radiators freezing? Or is it mind over matter? Do tell.....

BTW, I've just noticed your blog address.  I will have a jolly good read...

Mag

Like 0      
15 Nov 2011 5:07 PM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Its Mind over matter, so far its working, the sun is still shining, and the sky is blue......enjoy the blog ;-)

Like 0      
16 Nov 2011 12:34 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Johnnie - You are right, it hasn't got very cold yet and we've not burned many logs so far. But - I still remember vividly the winter of 2004 when we were snowed in and our village was cut off for 4 days, with no electricity and no water, so at least we're prepared, just in case... Enjoyed browsing through your blog, btw.

Victoria  

Like 0      
16 Nov 2011 1:30 PM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Its best to be prepared. what is the name of your village or is it a well kept secret?

Like 0      
16 Nov 2011 2:00 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

I've just returned from our holiday home in Spain at 28 degrees to reality in Scotland at 4 degrees.  If anyone knows how to bypass winter please let me know.  I have a couple of years before I can head south more permanently.  Victoria, yours  looks like the house we wanted to buy but ended up buying a new build.  I don't know quite how that happened but if there was a time machine I would be on it.  How do I get village updates, btw?  Love the picture of the logs!

Salud

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
16 Nov 2011 2:45 PM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Johnnie - So sorry, yes, I keep the village's name quiet to protect both the innocent and guilty.

Mojito - Glad you like the log pic, it still makes me shudder to look at it. As for new build v old house, I can recall plenty of times when we asked ourselves what on earth we were doing, and wouldn't a new build in a resort have been better... Still, we made the decision and the house is just about finished, and we're very happy where we are.

Message me your email address and I'll add you to my Village Updates newsletter list.

Victoria  :)

Like 0      
16 Nov 2011 10:49 PM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

That 1100 euros worries me a bit. we pay 9 cents a kilo here in Blanca. that would equate to around 12 tons!

Like 0      
17 Nov 2011 8:49 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

& me ! We pay 520 for 8,1 tonnes of olive .

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2011 9:16 AM by johnnie1uk Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

It must be a supply and demand thing in Andalucia.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2011 11:37 AM by Victoria Twead Star rating in Andalucia. 89 posts Send private message

Victoria Twead´s avatar

Looks like we might have paid too much, (silly old fools) but I don't know exactly what weight was delivered - it was just a complete lorry load. Maybe it makes a difference depending on what type of wood it is? It's very heavy, dense wood - if we light the woodburner at 4.00 o'clock, we use only 5 - 6 logs and the woodburner is still hot when we get up in the morning. Also, we use the woodburner in winter for cooking on so we save on electricity and gas, I suppose.

Victoria

Like 0      
17 Nov 2011 1:10 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It sounds like it might be to do with the type of wood.  If I put the fire on at 4pm I will probably end throwing at least 10 logs on the fire by the time I go to bed and it's freezing cold in the morning again!

Susan thinks I've got some sort of medical condition because I can't just sit there watching the fire.  I have to poke it, move it all around, add more logs, poke it some more, say sweet things to it, singe fingers, add more logs...you get the picture

And we pay €100 per ton down here, but there is a lot of competition and so prices have remained quite static over the years.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Nov 2011 4:01 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 744 posts Send private message

Mines delivered from Andalucia ! Quesada , Jaen province. Takes him 3 hrs to get here. everyone around here & Puerto lumbreras uses him. Mine lasts me 2 years near enough.

If he's any where near to you his name is 'Lolo'   . Leñas El Lolo .636 286 290

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Oil-fired community boilers - 1 posts
Wanted reliable, conscientious, friendly cleaner and key holder for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura. - 0 posts
Modelo 210 help please - rental income and nuda propriedad - 4 posts
Any air travel sleuths here? - 5 posts
Flights - Riga to Malaga ? - 4 posts
Elec Meter/Iberdrola/Need Reconnected! - La Manga - 4 posts
Unable to reply on a thread - 4 posts
We will Remember them - 0 posts
Not all bad news but there again it is Spain - 5 posts
Old Spanish 3-pin socket - 4 posts
COMMUNITY OF OWNERS LAW IN SPAIN - 6 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Storage - 2 posts
Any good tips for getting property back to UK from El Raso, Guardamar? - 4 posts
looking for a bar/resteraunt with food to hire for an awards night in benidorm - 0 posts
Scraping English car in Alicante - 7 posts
tenants rights re bank repossession - 4 posts
This will warm the cockles of your heart - yum! - 13 posts
--CAR WANTED-- - 0 posts
Jet 2 - 3 posts
AutoCaravans - 5 posts
Wanted reliable cleaner and key holder needed for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura - 5 posts
TechnoApe - 10 posts
Taking the builder to court. - 4 posts
English speaking dentists Malaga or Granada area. - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 38

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x