Elegance Dona Julia.

Schools and Education in Spain Guide
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2007 5:05 PM by fredandwilma Star rating in devon. 2 posts Send private message

hi we also thinking about moving to the costa blanca area in 18 months time , i know its a long way off but the only thing putting us of is the kids situation with schooling , we have 2 boys 1 will be nearly 11 and the other 1 will be 9 by the time actually do  it  . Can anyone point us in the right direction about schools , we,ve looked at the possibility if international schools but think the cost would be to much , and a bit concerned about the spanish schools , how would the children settle in a language they know litte about ? thanks neil and bobbie  

Like 0      
04 Jul 2007 8:05 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi,
We are inland, Costa Daurada, so North of the costas you are talking about.
We have an 8 year old son we have put into the Spanish school system. He's doing fine, a little slower than we would have liked, but then he's not 'big into school'!
A big problem we have here is that the 1'st language is Catalan, not Spanish.
Although we are not on one of the 'popular' costas, the school is very well able to cope with non Catalan/Spanish speakers. They have been second to none. I can not fault them. It is not their fault that our son is not interested in learning! 
I would recommend that you visit the local school BEFORE you make the move. There WILL be an English speaker there. English is taught in Spain, just as French is taught in England. Any school will have an 'English Teacher'  OK, so sometimes their English isn't very good, but then again neither is mine! The point being that you need to look at the local schools, and talk to them, before you decide what you are going to do.
Wish you well.
Regards Fiona

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 10:44 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Oh blimey..... woke up this morning feel all nervous having doubts about everything. Again as you guys im wondering if this is the right move for the kids. It might be my stinking cold making m,e feel like this but can someone out there with kids at spanish school help me out here. Is Spain a better life for the kids?

We are going soon....... arggghhhh

Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 10:57 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Tina

You have definately done the right thing, I only wish I'd done it years ago while the children were young enough to make the move. Go for it

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 11:05 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Thanks Gina, those butterflies in my stomach wont go away.

I guess its too late to be panicking..............chill out, deep breaths, count to ten (in spanish)!!!!!  x

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 11:13 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Tina, some last minute nerves kicking in there!

We have our kids in a local Spanish school and they are so happy there.  If they weren't I would never send them in and find another school.  My kids are my top priority in life.  We could send them to an international school but personally we would rather they mix with the local kids and pick up Spanish well.

Our kids have a great life here.  Their friends came over yesterday and we played in the pool all day, a party this afternoon, we're going to the Feria tonight.  They love their school, the pool, the beach, the evenings out, etc.

The way I see it is that you only get one chance in life and if you don't try something you will always wonder "what if".  At the end of the day though, Spain is not for everyone.  Holidaying here is one thing but living here and earning a living is a totally different matter.

Make the most of this opportunity, give it everything you've got and enjoy it.

Hay que vivir la vida.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 11:15 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You'll be fine, Tina. Just don't lose contact with us, will you ? You're so lucky have a hubby who speaks fluent Spanish. .

We are all in awe of you for taking the decision to go & live in Spain, especially as your kiddies are so small. What a life you're embarking on. You know hubby & I wish you all the luck in the world.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 11:19 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Gracias Justin, we go fairly soon and the nerves are taking on a little festival of their own.

Your right tho we have to give it everything and i know that if we didnt go i would get depressed always wondering "what if"????? thanks

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 4:47 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Tina,

Youre kids with thank you for the sacrifice you are making now. Mine have been here since they were 5 and 4 and they have never looked back. Daughter nearly 17 now and has a fab life in comparison to when I was her age, out in the fresh air all the time and just enjoying being a teen. Also the job prospects for someone speaking different languages opens up most of the western world to work in.

Son of 15 also having a very full and varied life - whereas in the UK when they were young and in the buggy, I was too frightened to let them more than a few yards from me.

My two visit their family in the uk - they fly on their own and are well equipped to deal with whatever life throws at them

Life has changed, people dont stay in the same place forever and at the same jobs etc, things move and change and your kids will learn to embrace those changes and experience whatever life throws at them

You wont look back and in fact will wonder why you didnt do it earlier.

The best of luck to you and let us all know how things work out!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 5:08 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

thanks Rixxy

i really needed that, ive got ants in my pants, not sure what im doing or where im going tho!!!!

I will definately post and let everyone know how it goes......... will have to find an internet cafe to start with.

I hope i can laugh at this in 3mths and think what was all that worry about!!!

Tinax

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 5:30 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Give it 6 months - the first 2 will see you enjoying the weather and settling in, then you panic about work, then panic about other things and then you wonder why you moved out and THEN you decide brill glad you did it and what was all the fuss about!

Where are you going?

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 6:36 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

We are going Murcia about 5mins from San Javier. We fell in love with the area when looking and to top it off my husband is originally spanish from Murcia but left when he was a small boy. He speaks fluent spanish which is a positve start anyway!!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 6:25 PM by bambi_ Star rating in playa golf. 24 posts Send private message

Hiya tina. you are so lucky that you moving out. i have been here in the last couple of years but things didnt work out between me and my husband so i have got no choice but go back to england. i cant afford it in here as a single mum, and i am so worried about my daughter she is only 2 and a half, but so happy and healthy in spain, she is outdoors all day, she can swim perfect already, jumping in and out of the pool, she wont have this happiness in england, so you are very lucky your family will be a lot happier!!!!!
Good luck for you, and dont be scared, you will love it!!!!!
xx

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 12:46 PM by supergirl Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We moved to Torrevieja 5 years ago with our daughters then aged 3 and 7. They both went into Spanish Schooling and are getting on very well. No problems there, my concerns at the moment are for my now 12 year old, basically whats next? When she finally leaves school, what jobs are out there for her? I know children who have left school with a handful of languages and work in a bar? whats the point. Are english children with 4 or so languages under their belt able to get good jobs.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 6:11 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

Stop beating yourself up people!! Of course you wouldn't have made the move if you thought it might be detrimental to your children, you weighed up the pros and cons before leaving and took a balenced and rational decision; nothing has changed!

Kids are dieing on the streets everyday of the week in the UK - if you came back ' for your childrens sake' and something happened how would you feel then? No the first decision you took which was considered and reached over a period of time was the right decision. Stick with it!

Like 0      
13 Jan 2008 5:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

13 Jan 2008 6:21 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
I have thought about this too...but I saw in a paper today that the tourism ind brought something like 26bn to spain last year...this is a huge industry that lots of people can get into

Also there is always a trade or from my perspective the internet is out there to be explored and you can easily setup a business online, just look at all those ebay sellers who have given up their day jobs.

If I moved to the highlands of scotland or the center of wales (I'm from wales originally) I'd be wondering the same thing, but children find their own way. I only have to look at myself and wonder if what I am doing and have done was what my Parents would have liked me to do

Botton line, I think my children will have a whale of a time, and when decision times loom they will probably do what I did...the reverse of what my parents wanted, land on their own two feet with great gusto and make a success of their lives

Like 0      
14 Jan 2008 3:38 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Supergirl - it is natural for all parents to worry about their children and their future. Its never good wherever you are and whatever you have as a mother will always see the pitfalls and try to avoid them or point them out for their young.

Even if your children only have languages, in this changing world where people are constantly moving around, this can only be a huge advantage. My daughter at the age of 13 was earning money translating documents for people and it is something she can always fall back on. Both of mine are fluent and both now looking towards spanish university. Whilst they may always be looked upon as guiris, all their friends are spanish and they both mix in spanish circles. Thier huge advantage is not only speaking spanish, but speaking fluent english - a must in a european future.

I am still very much an immigrant here and know it - all my clients are english speaking and even when I speak spanish, its not the same as a native - and never will be. My culture is english but I dont let it hold me back - luckily I am self employed as I doubt a spanish company would employ me, but then again, the english language I have is very much required so who knows.

Both of mine have had it instilled in them there are no boundaries, they can do anything if they want it enough but at some stage we have to let them go to find their own way in the world.

Its very hard and already I am dreading my daughter going to uni, whilst I am so happy for her, it seems the end of an era for me - my little girl leaving home for good. Not easy to come to terms with but its part of lifes cycle, so dont worry at all about your kids - you will have given them experiences they would not have got back in the UK and it will teach them to stand alone - not a bad thing at all.

Good luck with it

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
05 May 2009 11:48 AM by tony.c Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I feel we've done the right thing, my children are very happy and settled here and the social aspect for them now speaking both Spanish and English and having their groups of friends and feeling part of a "traditional" community is hard to beat.  After living abroad we think it should almost be a requirement for everyone young and old to live in another country/culture for at least a year - it can really change your perspective on the world.   

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

If i get one more bloody phone call !!! grrrr - 6 posts
Help please - 3 posts
San Remo, Almoradi - 12 posts
car insurance - 3 posts
Direct ferries from Britian to Spain - 16 posts
The Bargain Property Experiment - 155 posts
Edwina - 4 posts
Tower cranes - 9 posts
Is this idea realistic? - 3 posts
Bank Guarantee. - 4 posts
Consider this before buying in Spain - 28 posts
Aifos running out of money - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
Furniture packages: Value for money?? - 28 posts
STILL AWAITING HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
DUMP FOR OFF TOPIC COMMENTS - 16 posts
MORE ARRESTS IN MARBELLA - 5 posts
Atlas international - 21 posts
help!! confused!! - 16 posts
any opinions on Formentera del Segura ? - 94 posts
Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts
When will we have our garage? - 5 posts
Albondon - 7 posts
Albondon - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x