Consider this before buying in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by Magellan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Price pain in Spain drives Spaniards to look for investment property abroad

With property prices now sky high, Spain’s 10-year real estate boom is starting to cool and fears of a downturn are causing even Spanish investors to cash in and move out. Analysts expect Portugal and Germany to benefit from the exodus. More at: http://www.landsnatch.com

Regards,

Magellan

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 4:15 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

This is a copy of part of a Newsletter I received today from Barclays Bank 

Spain economy booming

Latest statistics from the Spanish government show that with economic growth at 3.9% (a six-year high) and a budget surplus, investors in property can foresee a healthy future, with 700,000 new jobs in the country, increased demand for homes and growing property rental opportunities. 1

Spanish government announces property figures

A national average rise in property prices of 9.1% has been reported by the Spanish government. Central and northern Spain did best overall, with Lugo in Galicia top of the table with an 18.5% annual rise. Jaen, Seville and Castellon were also among the best performing provinces. 2

Younger buyers look abroad for first home

Some 40% of younger people would consider an overseas home as a first step on the property ladder, according to insurance company Hiscox. Respondents to their survey cited high UK house prices and a complicated housing market as their main reasons for looking abroad for a first home.

RICS 2006 Overseas Property Report  also had a positive result for Spain

So the opinion seems to be from the stats that Spain is still a good option if you use the right people 

any further info from Brian Rowlands BSc FRICS e-mail rowlandsbb@aol.com 

PS or send a PM!

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 4/18/2007.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 4:27 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Nice to hear that R, we have had enough of the scaremongers passing their unqualified and biased opinions

John

This message was last edited by johnone on 4/18/2007.

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 1:34 AM by Magellan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Are you people really so short-sighted?

Do you think the world revolves around England?

Yes, of course the Spanish property market looks great if you can sit there and rip off more English people. But how long are the "dumb" English going to keep coming? There has to be a limit somewhere. I grew up in Spain, I speak fluent Spanish and English.
 I live  in Portugal - that alone should tell you something!

Regards,
Magellan

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 1:49 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
And I guess that must be why the Dutch, Scandinavians, Russians, French, Americans, Belgians, Croats, Icelanders, Chinese, Indians, Austrians, Germans and just about Uncle Tom Cobbly and All are still buyers in Spain at the right price - dont get me wrong Portugal is great but there are still good deals to be had here if you look around.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 1:57 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

That's a relief, I'm not short sighted or dumb, I'm welsh. Hoorah!!!!

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 2:23 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I hope Magellan bought in Portugal some time ago.  I'm afraid the property market there priced itself out of the reach of ordinary people a long time ago.  Going inland in Portugal or to the deserted coastal area is cheaper, just like Spain, but places like the Algarve are sometimes double those on the Spanish popular areas.  Anyway, I prefer the Med to the Atlantic.  And with a record 380,000 Brits leaving the country each year to (in order of popularity) Australia, Spain and France, the demand should be quite high for some time to come.  The Germans are leaving Spain and other areas in droves because of the 42% tax their government has levied on second homes abroad.  If Gordon the Grabber gets wind of this, it might happen in UK as well but I imagine most people would give up their UK homes first and settle permanently in Spain.  And, anyway, most of these threads of doom and gloom are aimed at those trying to make a fast buck by buying and selling quickly in Spain.  Those of us who want to make a home there (now or in the future) should not be worried about these things.  Just pick the place you want to live in and enjoy it.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 10:41 AM by Magellan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

For anyone with rose-tinted glasses:

Spain hears that popping sound, as real estate bubble bursts - http://www.landsnatch.com

Spain's Property Stocks Drop on Concern Bubble Burst - http://www.bloomberg.com

Spanish property boom ends - FT.com

Regards,

Magellan

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 10:52 AM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Megellen, you are starting to sound like an estate agent in Bulgaria, trying to cause doom and panic in the minds of prospective Spanish property buyers.

These reports are at best over stated and at worst totally inaccurate.

There are big slowdowns in the market here in Spain, but there are hundreds of thousands of Brits every year still coming out here to buy.

A drop in the Spanish market does not deminish British peoples dream of "Living in the sun"

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 11:56 AM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
I'm still coming! sooner the better,

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 11:59 AM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Well said Chelsea - I hope you still feel so adamant after we stuff you tonight

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 12:42 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I think Magellan is on a mission....

Yes, the market is slower than it was and yes there are many horror stories.  When we bought nearly 4 years ago there wasn't really a lot of independent information out there to guide us along.  These days it's very different and people have so much information to hand to make informed decisions.

The fly-by-night investors have moved on but Spain will always remain many people's dream.  There will always be a "healthy" market for second-home buyers and for those wishing to move to Spain permanently.  There are still opportunities for investors too, it's just that they're no so obvious now.

Most of us should really welcome the "slow down" in the market to ease the crazy buying and selling of the past few years.  I hope it will bring some stability to the market and weed out those who have made the buying experience unpleasant for many.
Just my 2 cents as they say.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 12:46 PM by Voyager Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Spanish property bubble blows up!. Yesterday, real state (up to 60%) and several banks crash. Stock market deeper losses in 20 years.  Is to expected a  long recession period.

Must see: http://www.invertia.com/mercados/default.asp (in Spanish) sponsored by BBVA, one of the biggest spanish bank

or also Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/04/25/afx3649287.html

or Financial Times:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/32cd35d0-f68b-11da-b09f-0000779e2340.html

Is the time to think about another country?   Tthe notice appears in most of US papers, but not UK. I do not advise investment on properties in Spain, but perhaps is the moment to buy thinking on retirement in Spain

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 1:13 PM by gillrd Star rating in Putney. 33 posts Send private message

The banks have not crashed...!! BBVA has gone down 71 cents in the last 2 days from 18.70 euros to 17.99 euros!! Banco Santander is actually up today and has also just announced it is part of a consortium offering to buy ABN Amro.......Real estate stocks have crashed but the banks are just fine.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 1:23 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
gillespie you couldn't stuff a chicken. and I'm still coming!

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 1:56 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Justin,

It´s true the market will benefit from a slowdown.  We need to see UK house prices rise for a few more years to get things near to the old ratio.  At present Spanish property is virtually the same price as UK property like for like.  Back in the boom Spanish property was at least half the price.

We will never see that ratio again, and quite honestly there is no need for Spanish property to be half the value of UK property.  The EU funding and UK investments into Spain has massivly improved the infrastructure, there is far more choice of shopping, flights, entertainment.  Spain is no longer the poor relation to the UK, and in many ways is now superior, especially it´s weather.  Should the next  Spanish property boom happen, I think it will see Spanish property prices higher than the average UK price for the first time.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 2:01 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Chelsea, I´m pleased you are still coming to Spain I hope it is all you plan it to be.

However I´m affraid to say, "tonight is the end of the road for the Blues mate "

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 2:38 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi all,

I really can,t see what all the fuss is about,yes the market is slower and no there are not the massive capital gains to be made ,so what!

If anyone can name one country that is as appealing to Brits as Spain was, is ,and will continue to be then i will eat my hat, and that includes Great Britain.

As i have said before this is the real market and not the get rich quick scheme it once was,there are still genuine investments but you need a little bit of savvy to find them(how it should be)that's where the skill comes in.

When the markets crashed in the UK and the bottom fell out the housing market did everyone wake up and say "right pack your bags kids we are off to bulgaria, we'll make more money there!"

Spain is a great place to live and will continue to attract people regardless of the market's rise and fall because it is a BETTER PLACE TO LIVE!!

My advice is too ignore the man who sits in front of a screen allday watching prices rise and fall giving advice on where to live as he gazes into his crytsal ball and grab some quality of life rather than spending it all worrying about what may happen tommorow.

Right,step down off soapbox and go to beach to calm down for a bit.

Regards

Georgia

I

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 2:57 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
I absolutely agree georgia 100% and more......now ..how much do ya think my house will be worth tomorrow???

Like 0      
25 Apr 2007 3:00 PM by Magellan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Gillespie,

For starters I'm not particularly keen on Bulgaria either - but joking apart I refer to what I said in a previous post.

You say: "A drop in the Spanish market does not deminish British peoples dream of "Living in the sun"

I say: Is Britain the center of the known universe? Did the Brits cause the boom nationwide? Were they the ones buying in Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, San Sebastia, Gijon...etc? The answer is no.

What the Brits do is only a minor part of a much larger equation that is based on some very rickety funamentals.

Regards,
Magellan.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Aifos running out of money - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
Furniture packages: Value for money?? - 28 posts
STILL AWAITING HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
DUMP FOR OFF TOPIC COMMENTS - 16 posts
MORE ARRESTS IN MARBELLA - 5 posts
Atlas international - 21 posts
help!! confused!! - 16 posts
any opinions on Formentera del Segura ? - 94 posts
Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts
When will we have our garage? - 5 posts
Albondon - 7 posts
Albondon - 0 posts
Mosquito Eaters - 20 posts
Lake vinuela - 8 posts
telephone and boardband - 4 posts
Help with route/car - 17 posts
The Smiley & Rixxy (& friends) outlet, go for it .. in here guys. - 54 posts
Tell me the truth. - 5 posts
Urban Leonardo Da Vinci La Zenia Phase 2 - 0 posts
Air Conditioning - 0 posts
Antequera - 1 posts
Nature Caravaca de la Cruz - 0 posts
Mark Bond - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x