Owners in debt - Can tenants still use community facilities?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by lasiesta Star rating in Costa del Sol. 58 posts Send private message

Hi

I hope someone may be able to clarify something for me. We have tenants in a property who have always paid their rent. However they have now been informed that the owner of their property is in arrears with their community fees. Apparently in this complex there are many owners in debt. The president has told them that  any owners who havent paid their fees will not be allowed to use the complex facilities and that locks will be changed and new keys only issued to those who have paid. Therefore the tenants will not be able to use these facilities. Does anyone know what the legal situation is on this? Can paying tenants be "banned" just because their owners are not up to date? These tenants have lived their for some years now. Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 3:28 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Unfortunately i think this is right.  The tenants have no fault whatsoever but the owner has, i would recomend that the tenants write an official notification to the owner informing them of this and letting them know that they will retain money for the rental until they have sorted the matter or that they will pay for these fees with the rent money until it is covered so that they can use the communal areas. It is the owners obligation to pay for these fees and it should be in the rental contract and therefore would be breached.

Joan

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 4:25 PM by Roo Star rating in Southport/La Canada. 59 posts Send private message

I heard the opposite - that a community cannot  stop those owners who are not up to date with their community fees from using any community facilities - more's the pity... I feel sorry for tenants, but it is galling for those of us who pay on time to know that those that don't bother can still use the pool etc, which they haven't paid for!

Like 0      
21 Oct 2009 8:45 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 181 posts Send private message

Hi,  Owners of homes who have not paid their community fees cannot be prevented from using the facilities, as far as I am aware it is illegal to lock home owners or tenants out of community facilities. In our community we also have home owners who are in debt but we are in the process of taking them to court, and we were informed by the administrator that we cannot prevent these people from using any of the facilities, so I think as tenants you are in the same position as the non paying owner and should be able to use the facilities.  Makes you wonder though, why when you pay your rent your owner cannot pay his community fees.

Kathy

Like 0      
22 Oct 2009 11:37 AM by lasiesta Star rating in Costa del Sol. 58 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the advice. The main problem for the tenants in this case concerns the laundry room. The property is very small and did not come fitted with a washing machine. (non of the properties had them). The complex has an on site laundry room which obviously they use and this is what they are now being told they cannot use. They are not bothered about the pool or gym, just the laundry room. We would really like to know if they do or do not have a right to use it legally. Thanks again

Like 0      
22 Oct 2009 12:45 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It deoends on what it has been agreed by owners in the statutes.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Parking at Malaga airport - 2 posts
Property inland Costa Brava - 0 posts
Cruelty to animals - 25 posts
The Real Spain- a beautiful village in the Las Alpujarras - 1 posts
Grupo Mango to become bankrupt? - 4 posts
Working out Community Fees - 9 posts
Global Car Centre in Cabo Roig? - 0 posts
Car Trailer for sale. - 3 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
No Bank Guarantee? Action against the Bank! - 0 posts
Prices for Inland Andulcia property ! - 5 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID? - 0 posts
Public thank you - 1 posts
If you're affected please write to Graham Norwood - 4 posts
attaching to a charity - 1 posts
Is there any snow yet? - 9 posts
Work For Skilled Professionals In Spain - 1 posts
advice wanted - 2 posts
Seat available for trip to Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Road Works - 10 posts
CIVIL PARTNERSHIPS IN SPAIN - 6 posts
Leather Sofa repair - 7 posts
Utilities & a "new" one - 1 posts
Is EOS a good place for everyone with an interest in Spain ? - 14 posts
Teletec v Europa whos best? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x