Bying scooter and taking test

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Has anyone bought a Spanish scooter/motor bike and is riding it legally?

I have a UK driving licence for a car and motor bike and want to buy a scooter/motorbike here in Spain. I don't really want to give up my UK licence by transferring it to a Spanish licence but I may have too, then it needs to be renewed every few years therafter. I am thinking of just taking the Spanish motorcycle test itself. I know it is in two parts and the theory in Spanish but is anyone riding a Spanish scooter/motorbike legally over here with a UK licence or has done the Spanish test?

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:12 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi Londoneye,

I will double check for you but, my other half enquired about the same thing and was told that there is no theory test in Spain and if you have a full car license then the bike test is very simple and can be taken locally. I will try and find out more info and let you know.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 10:02 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Surely if you have a UK motorbike licence then this covers you for a Spanish scooter too?

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:28 AM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Yes the UK licence does cover you but for how long? There is a lot of different interpretations to the rules/laws on driving with a UK licence especially when you are driving a Spanish reg. vehicle and you don't want to land up in the clincker for getting it wrong even if you are right!!

If you are a Spanish resident which you automatically are when you have been in Spain for more than so many days whether you are registered or not. You need to exchange or get your UK licence stamped or something like that. I have done some research on the ineternet but would love to here from someone who has bought a scooter/motorbike and also holds a valid/lawful licence to ride it that isacceptable to every Spanish police officer!

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:47 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Londoneye,

You don´t need a Spanish licence to drive in Spain, whether resident or not.  You can use your UK licence as long as it is the newer EU style card licence.  There´s no need to get it stamped or changed to a Spanish one.

Myra, from the Costa Advice Bureau confirmed this in the following thread:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-6420p1onddk-.htm

David

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:01 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi All,

Well just established if you have full UK car license you are eligable to ride upto 650cc om that licence in Spain. if you want to have a higher CC then you have to take a bike test which dooes not include  theory.

This is what we were told from a reliable source!!

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:28 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks for that. I can see how even the simplest request for info. can get confusing. That's all I want is to be a law abiding Spanish citizen. Is that too much to ask!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Van from London to Almeria City area? - 5 posts
Siesta Show feedback please - 0 posts
Wanted property for a month - 2 posts
reduced yet again - 5 posts
roundabouts in Spain - 43 posts
Wanted - Villa for long term rent - 1 posts
Hello finally finished! - 1 posts
Reliable lawyer needed Costa Blanca North - 0 posts
Inspection flights for under £30! - 10 posts
Crime in Zeniamar - 1 posts
Looking for self drive van hire - 0 posts
Tres Molinos, Murcia - 3 posts
Tres Molinos, Murcia - 18 posts
Alterations to properties - 1 posts
Building alterations. - 6 posts
Further confirmation that deadline for modelo 210 non resident form is December - 7 posts
A VERY SAD LOSS - LEN BUCKNALL DUQUESA - 0 posts
Angel de Miraflores HELP - 2 posts
Todays paper - 2 posts
Anybody flying to Malaga in the next few days (preferably from Birmingham) - 4 posts
Does this affect anyone? - 2 posts
hi from newbie - 0 posts
home stuff - 13 posts
Mortgage Rates with Cajasol Bank Spain - 1 posts
Non-resident tax return for 2008 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x