Visitors

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2015 9:11 PM by gnik Star rating in calahonda. 28 posts Send private message

What should be a relaxing retirement and enjoying a relaxing warm summer can often turn into a nightmare due to the amount of visitors we seem to get.

At this time of year I have just started to get the initial inquiries regarding friends and family annual summer holidays. We have tried to limit our visitors to no more than one week max but this is easier said than done.

Most visitors always seem to stay longer than they initially say and the ten days is often eleven or twelve, because they don’t count the day they arrive and leave.

The worst is my brother in law with wife and two kids, he always asks if he can stay a few nights as he will hire a car and tour Andalucía, but after staying a few nights he says he would like to stay on as it’s  too hot to drive around and the kids are enjoying the pool and don’t want to travel. He has pulled this stunt twice before and short of being rude and causing bad feelings, what can be done ?

How do others  manage to get the right balance without starting WW3.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2015 11:19 PM by wencra Star rating in mollina - malaga. 66 posts Send private message

wencra´s avatar

try saying July/August too hot for visitors or you are pre booked or you are away sightseeing/touring

Like 0      
11 Apr 2015 11:47 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Suggest local budget  hotels nearby,  and that you will arrange to meet on some trips and meals out

It is too hot to be waiting on visitors, and arranging activities. 

Then afterwards you are left with cleaning and a mountain of washing

Many people feel they have to agree to non stop visitors because they are "Lucky" enough to live in the sun

Do they invite you to their houses for free holidays?

Dont feel guilty, many wished they had been firm enough to suggest alternative accomodation.

Only my immediate family stay with me in the summer.they help me, and I  dont feel pressured, but two weeks is a long time with people you don't know that well.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2015 2:09 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

gnik,

I presume that you meant your husband's sister, her husband and their two kids, if so that's pretty close family as far as he's concerned. Really you must leave it to him to tell his blood relatives that they are causing a rift between you and him, my wife put up with a lot in respect of my late mother when she was slipping into dementia, she started to think that our home was her home, I finally hacked her back to her own home with us supplying all of her meals and my wife helping with bathing etc, I owe her big style for what she did.

I honestly think that if your extended family and friends were told in in strong terms to stop extracting the urine, that you would find yourself with far less self invited house guests, but I repeat that if it's your husband's sister then it's his job to tell her.

Good luck, were in Calahonda next week, but luckily for you we do have somewhere to stay. wink      

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Do I have to pay the sales commission if I pull out of the sale? - 33 posts
help with moving - 0 posts
Alhambra del mar - 0 posts
Buying an apartment in Rafal, Alicante - 4 posts
MAG250 - 24 posts
Medication - 12 posts
Car hire at Alicante and Murcia - 17 posts
retired scottish couple with dog seek long term rental southern spain - 8 posts
accomadation - 0 posts
I have a question - 1 posts
Where to get tyres for a Ford Transit in Barcelona - 4 posts
Healthcare, How Would They Know? - 11 posts
Relocating to Spain - 18 posts
outside walls - 5 posts
Doors and windows - 4 posts
jobs in alicante area for qualified english native teacher with CELTA qualification - 8 posts
Moving to Spain in October - 2 posts
How long for property purchase to go through - 13 posts
Flights to San Javier - 5 posts
Driving docs - 19 posts
BBC TV Programme 31st March 2015 Shows How Tough Life is for Many Brits in Spain. - 50 posts
Corvera vs San Javier Airports - 2 posts
Mortgage lenders ordered to refund overpaid interest - 7 posts
UK banking - 13 posts
Brit couple found murdered in N.Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x