Urgent transfers

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2007 12:00 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hi all.

We are having some work done on our house and we need to transfer some money over from the UK as soon as possible.

We have always used Currencies Direct and have found their rates to be good and their service excellent apart from the fact that it  takes over a week for the money to clear from our bank transfer to them and arriving in our Spanish account.

Just rang our own bank......  Nat West and they have an urgent transfer service which puts the money in Spain the next day for a flat rate of £27.00.

Trouble is that their exchange rate is poor.  At this moment it is 1.46 with CD and 1.43 with Nat west.  Bit of a bummer.

Anyone have other suggestions please?

Ta

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
19 May 2007 2:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
We have always used Moneycorp who transfer quickly and give a good rate.  Problem is, you will have to transfer money from Natwest to Moneycorp (and Natwest will charge a transfer fee) then you have to wait for the money to clear.  This will depend on how long before your bank takes to clear the transfer.  Again, they will do it same date but at £27.00.  Then you have to pay Moneycorp the transfer fee to your Spanish bank.  It normally takes me 3 or 4 days to do this.  If you need it really urgent, you may have to bit the bullet and take the bum exchange rate offered by your bank (moneycorp is also 1.46) which will save you the second transfer fee.  Western Union will also transfer money but their charges are extortionate.

Like 0      
19 May 2007 3:16 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Thanks for the reply.

I think you may be right and we may have to either wait or accept the crummy bank rate.

Just thought it was worth a try. It seems that Moneycorp are the same as Currencies Direct. It's the transfer from our account to them that slows it up. Pathetic in this electronic age.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
19 May 2007 3:25 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Laury remember that even though cd may show 1.46 that isn't waht they will give you as a spot rate

I have used 4xcc.com where they give you live dealing rates and these are what you wil get. You do have to register and if everything is okay with the checks you will get a username and password in your email within a day or so.

This then allows you to go to the dealers page and you click submit when you want to trade a ticket is then available for you too print off that has all the details for the transfer( you set up your beneficaiary account the first time you log in) you can then take this to your bank and wire transfer the same day to them(this will cost) they then transfer to your bank in spain the next day IE: Money goes Monday to 4x it wil be in your bank in spain on the Tuesday.

You can look at a demo of the dealer page and use it but of course no deal is actually done.

For comparison CD  were offering 1.4450 4xcc i was able to deal at 1.4550.

www.4xcc.com

Like 0      
19 May 2007 3:34 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Sorry i'm being dense Conrad. Why do I need to take a ticket to a bank?

Laury

Like 0      
19 May 2007 3:48 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hubby has been studying the 4x site and was getting all excited until he found out that dealing was only Monday - Friday... 9-4.

He's gutted.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
19 May 2007 4:36 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Thats the only down side

Like 0      
29 May 2007 6:00 PM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

Have been keeping an eye on the euro last few days, was going to deal on Friday, but decided to wait! big mistake as have to get funds to Spain for Monday, went with Currency Solutions as got the best rate, got 1.46 and considering today is 1.469 market! thought that was good after checking moneycorp.

Like 0      
29 May 2007 6:58 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Folks,  I am afraid it is the luck of the draw depending on the market on the day.   We transferred money last Nov. to complete on our apartment we went with HIFX and got the rate of 1.49.  which was good.   I did shop around but that was the best rate at the time.  But when we went back this year I had a lot to buy tv etc. so we went to Carrefour and I used our Nationwide Flex Card for the purchases and the rate we got was 1.51.   So we was very happy with that. So good luck all with all your purchases and exchange rate.     Regards Pat

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 10:14 PM by amazingwally Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I realise this post may be a little late, but may help others in the future ( or not .... )

Open a few accounts with money exchange companies, Currencies direct, RationelFX, Tor FX etc etc. This doesnt cost a penny but at least you have access straight away.

When you need to transfer money ask for a spot rate from all of them, chose the best one and do the deal there and then with the best one. They will keep the rate for you until you use your internet banking to transfer money or send them a check if its not so urgent.

Quickest I have had money in my Spanish bank account is 2 days amd longest 1 week. Agree the date with them when you do the deal

Like 0      
29 Jun 2007 11:09 PM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

That is exactly what I did, have accounts with 4 of the top ones? but there was an outsider running, as they say?? and I got the best rate from them on spot rates, so you need to keep an eye on the euro and do a deal on the day, especially when it comes close to having to exchange your hard earned cash unless you are a speculator! and can afford to ride the waves?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NIE and Residency - 0 posts
Jumilla - 6 posts
All is Quiet!!! - 2 posts
concerns with our basement. - 1 posts
AIR CONDITIONED GLOVE BOXES - 26 posts
Official Document Needed for application of NIE Number - 23 posts
Electrician in spain - 0 posts
Oh my Goodness! Over 1,000 posts and no applause! - 24 posts
Torreveija area chitty chatty - 25 posts
R & S PROPERTY AND GARDEN DESIGNS - 1 posts
To store or not to store, that is a question! - 7 posts
new member - 2 posts
Live in Spain but where to holiday? - 16 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Facts right or wrong on Escitura? - 14 posts
capital gains tax. - 0 posts
What's happening with JeansSis? - 53 posts
Show house - 29 posts
Find Out the Truth About This Site - 3 posts
fishing alert - 4 posts
Rental required El Rincon - 2 posts
fisherman alert - 2 posts
sneaky needs help??? - 2 posts
apartment wanted - 4 posts
Bichon Frise for sale - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x