Watch out! New Telefonica or Movistar Scam!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I have started this thread in the General Chit Chat area of the forum as I hope it will get the most exposure.

I live in Spain and today I received a call from someone claiming to be calling from Telefonica/Movistar, saying they could help me with my bills.

He also kept trying to get me to say yes to changing something, but I couldn't quite understand what exactly, as my Spanish isn't quite good enough to fully understand everything that is being said, so I just kept saying that I didn't understand and in the end said goodbye, at which point I hung up the call.

I then checked the number and it was: 0054 351 413 2600

The country code of 0054 is Argentina.

I called Telefonica on 1004 and spoke in English to a representative, who said I had done the right thing as they know I speak English and will always speak to me in English, and will have my details on screen, so will not ask me for any password or personal details.

So... Beware of anyone calling saying that they are from Telefonica/Movistar. If you think the call is not legitimate, ask them to call back later or tomorrow and check with Telefonica/Movistar that they have called you.

And if the call number starts with 0054... then unless you know someone who lives in Argentina... then don't answer!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
20 Oct 2010 7:19 PM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

I didn't know until recently that the call handling for Telefonica/Movistar is in South America, so it could well be Argentina!

Like 0      
21 Oct 2010 8:08 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Interesting.  I know some people have been conned into handing over the credit card details over the phone but this is a new one to me.

I look forward to their call.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

documents of car - 2 posts
Embargo on property - 6 posts
No puedo publicar - 2 posts
electrical goods why so expensive? - 4 posts
Wanted second hand Freezer - 0 posts
Proxy votes at community meetings for absent owners - 9 posts
Please help me to my problem.. - 1 posts
Autonomo - 27 posts
For Sale - FC400 Cross Trainer Exercise Machine - 0 posts
LLoyds Bank Charges - 1 posts
Does anyone know how to stop calls from 912 868 399?? - 3 posts
wanted - shipping container - 3 posts
Moto X Bike - 1 posts
Electricity problems - 7 posts
Topping up mobiles - 8 posts
white goods - 0 posts
Electrical Goods - 0 posts
Sabanillas market - 2 posts
Floor Polishing - 0 posts
WALKING GROUP. FIRST WALK OF THE SEASON - 0 posts
Would you like a house-sitter ? - 2 posts
Hello all - 3 posts
COMPUTER BETTER - 2 posts
Cost of changing Deeds to one name - 0 posts
trees - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x