Alicante - a vibrant city on the Mediterranean coast of Spain - is a favourite holiday destination of hundreds thousands of tourist each year. People from all over the world come to Alicante and Costa Blanca to relax, enjoy long sandy beaches and experience a true Spanish flavour and charm.
This summer season 2009 is going to be hot and lively. Alicante is prepared to offer you the best fun and great parties. Let's take a look on the Top 10 things you can do in Alicante this summer to have an unforgettable holiday:
1. Go to the wonderful beaches and get in touch with the Mediterranean. The weather is excellent, the days are sunny and the endless sea compete with the bright blue sky. Alicante invites you to visit some of the best beaches in Spain. Postiguet beach, San Juan beach, Urbanova beach, ... just to name a few.
2. Nightlife in the Old Town. Alicante Old Town - called El Barrio - is the best place for having a good time during hot summer nights. Find your favourite bar, pub or night club! There are a lot of diverse places for parting and meeting with friends. Once the bars are closed (at 4 o'clock in the morning) don't stop - continue parting in discos of La Marina complex.
3. Climb up Alicante castles. Alicante castles are fabulous symbols of its millennium past. Placed on Mount Benacantil (castle of Santa Barbara) and Tossal hill (castle of San Fernando), they offer you breathtaking views over the surrounding countryside. Take your camera with you and make hundreds of great photos!
4. Visit Archaeology Museum of Alicante - MARQ. Discover Alicante archaeological treasures and visit new fascinating exhibitions. This year, from the 2nd of April to the 13th of October 2009, you can enjoy ancient aesthetics and The Beauty of the Body (La Belleza del Cuerpo). This exhibition of masterpieces of Greek art is done in collaboration with the British Museum. The Discobolus of Myron will spend his summer holidays in Alicante.
5. Las Hogueras de San Juan - St John's Bonfires festival. This is one of the best festivals in Spain, declared as of International Tourist Interest. It is organized from 20th to 24th of June as the official festival of Alicante. Numerous colorful figures made of paper and wood are placed all over the city and hundreds of thousands visitors from the whole world gather in Alicante to enjoy this fantastic party. People make never-ending parades and carnivals during days and night. Streets are crowded with music stages, tables and open-air restaurants. The culmination is reached the final night, at midnight, when all the figures are burnt to the ground.
6. Alicante fireworks competition. At the end of St John's Bonfires festival, you can have several unforgettable nights more. Just go to the Postiguet beach at midnight (or a bit earlier to find a place) and watch spectacular firework competition. These are the best fireworks that I have seen in my life. Your imagination will be surprised by a variety of forms and colours.
7. Alicante Jazz Festival. The 12th Alicante International Jazz Festival is organized from the 22nd to 26th of July 2009. There will be concerts of five well-known jazz ensembles: Roy Haynes Trio, The Manhattan Transfer, Al Di Meola World Sinfonia, Carla Bley Big Band and Spyro Gyra.
8. Alicante Film Festival. The 6th International Alicante Film Festival is organized from 1st to 6th of June 2009. The events and movie projections take place in the Alicante Theatre, several Alicante cinemas and in Ciudad de la Luz (the complex of the most modern film studios in Europe).
9. Visit Medieval Market. Related to the Bonfires festival, Alicante Medieval Market is organized during the last week of June in the Old Town. You can travel into the past, listen to old street music, buy traditional products, eat tasty and exotic food or visit gypsy witch with fortune telling cards.
10. La Corrida - bullfighting. During St John's Bonfires, you can also experience something typically Spanish - the bullfighting. La Feria Taurina 2009 is organized from 17th to 28th of June. There are 7 Corridas de Toros and 4 additional fights with novilleros and picadores.
Whichever type of holiday you choose, you can spend it in Alicante. This marvelous city can meet all your needs and wishes.