Summer Car Hire Rates

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by slacey99 Star rating in Dorset and Duquesa w.... 276 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
slacey99´s avatar

I'm just trying to book a car for August and can't believe the prices.  They all seem to want £280 or more a week for even the smallest 2 door car they have available without all the extra insurance and fuel they sell you on top of that.  I know this has been mentioned before but this is ridiculous and the car is going to cost me more than the flights for a family of three.   I also rent my apartment out and I’m really concerned about what this is going to do to my bookings.  It can only have a very negative impact when people see the total price of their stay if it has to include a car.

Someone somewhere is seriously taking the p*ss.

All suggestions on cheap car hire would be gratefully received.  I tried holiday autos through netflights for a trip I’m taking in March and what a nightmare that was.  The prices and cars they quoted were suddenly not available to be booked when I got to the payment confirmation screen and you are told to ring customer services.  3 hrs later I finally get to speak to someone at so much a minute only to be told they can’t help and to ring another reservations number that puts you on hold for another short period of your life.  I gave up in the end, I lost faith in their ability to present me with a car when I arrived even if I did ever manage to make a booking.

Steve

This message was last edited by slacey99 on 08/01/2010.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2010 4:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Try hirecarsinspain, have always been good for me. Plus you don't pay until arrival which means if you book now and check a week before departure, if the price has gone down you benefit . If the price goes up, keep your original booking. Win/ win as far as i'm concerned.

Mark

Like 0      
08 Jan 2010 5:37 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

Try holiday autos directly ......... I had no problem and have a car for £140 for 13 days at Easter............. I did book with my am ex card which covers me for all the extras and cancellations etc.......... not sure I would use Holiday autos with out Am ex assurances.

I too am concerned on how car rental prices will affect any rentals that I may get......... if I do get any......... i am hoping for people to book nearer the time but then car hire gets even more expensive..........

Like 0      
08 Jan 2010 5:55 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

We also have booked a few times with hirecarsinspain and they've always been excellent.  Very helpful and reliable.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2010 6:32 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

For the first time ever I found the car cheaper with Easyjet, using EUROPCAR. I don't know what they are like though as I have never used them before. Word of warning though; seeing this link made me go back to review my booking. Realised that there was no car hire booking ref. It has taken me around 2 painful hours to sort it out with Easyjet Customer Services. Absolute nightmare. I booked this a few weeks ago and they asked me to cancel, claim refund and re-book. Undoubtedly thye flight and/or car hire would have gone up. I refused and asked them to rectify their own problems. It turned out in the end (after I actually called EUROPCAR) that the booking was made, and I got a booking reference. If it hadn't have been OK I don't know what the outcome would have been, but I think I would have been unhappy!

Like 0      
08 Jan 2010 10:39 PM by LadyV Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

If flying into Malaga airport, take a look at RENT-A-CAR 3000 - personal meet and greet service at the airport (no queues in the dungeon below, or waiting for buses!) and no full tank fuel charge. Treated like a person not like a sheep.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2010 6:01 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

Someone suggested booking direct through Hertz - I did this and for 15 days in August it was just under £300.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2010 9:32 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

I am afraid it is not good news once again for tourists coming over to Spain to hire cars.  There have been four big car hire companies here on the Costa Del Sol that have gone into administration, and obviously all of their cars are standing still until administration finalised, which has mean't  a big shortgage of cars here on the coast, and unfortunately that means people get greedy as they know there is a shortgage here and charge what they want.  Once one company charges a certain price, they all seem to follow like sheep!  Another true but sad story about "take it or leave it Spain"

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 11:05 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Are they any of the well known companies that any of us may have bookings with? Could you give their names so that anyone thaat has booked can do something about it and any comparison sites still giving them out can be avoided?

Thanks

Mark 

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 11:40 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

We use Bruno's Car hire in Duquesa, you have no waiting around in a que at the airport you just go straight to the car park and they are waiting with the key for you and you don't pay until you get to the port, no hidden extras and they come with quarter full of petrol and you return it the same way.  We now use a code they give us and get it cheaper again and get upgraded when they can.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 12:30 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

I too like Mark would be inertested in the car companies that have gone bust. I am sure if it was a big one like Hertz we would see something in the financial press. I am taking a prudent approach however and where I have paid in advance for car hire, I am insured for cancellation of any nature........ 

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 2:02 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Dear Mark and Nicolaraho,

I should have said "independant" car hire companies, I do apologise,  I never use the "Big" firms such as Avis, Hertz, Easyjet etc as always found their service poor and prices high.  One of the companies currently in administration is Auriga Cars, although it seems here in Spain if you are in administration you can still trade until the 11th hour!  My advice would be make sure you are covered by your credit card when making any booking with Independant Hire Car Companies.

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 2:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Is that Auriga (as in the small closed branch in Mojacar) or Auriga Crown?  I have read stories of the latter being in administration but nothing confirmed, although they are stil taking bookings and renting out cars.

Mark

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 10/01/2010.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2010 7:37 PM by llamacalmer Star rating in Surrey & La Torre. 318 posts Send private message

llamacalmer´s avatar

I've just booked 2 weeks in August through travelsupermarket.com and with Hertz  it's around £300.

R
osemary

Owner of  8 stray Spanish mutts

Like 0      
11 Jan 2010 7:28 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Has anyone tried these they seem to be quite cheap and promise all new cars inclusive price no extras

http://www.economycarhire.com/

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2010 9:31 PM by SSH 1 Star rating in La Isla & Birmingha.... 51 posts Send private message

SSH 1´s avatar

Hi

I've just returned from a weekend in Spain and can confirm that Auriga Crown are still trading. 

I have used Record Rent A Car a few times and they have been great.  The cars have always been clean, modern & in excellent condition with staff who are extremely helpful.  You can register as a member and build up points which can be used to reduce the price of your future rentals.

Regards

SAN

Like 0      
11 Jan 2010 10:54 PM by share Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

We have also booked through Hertz for 3 weeks in July - £388.  It does say approximately on the booking documentation so hopefully this does not mean that there will be a big change in the actual price.  Has anyone used Hertz in the past?

Like 0      
12 Jan 2010 9:07 AM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

I have used them before but not in spain............. always read the terms and conditions carefully and check what you need to pay for any excess......... alternatively if you book through Am ex you are normally covered and don't need to any to the car hire company.......

I had no problems last time I booked but it seems with all these car hire companies you can be lucky or unlucky........ sorry for stating the obvious

Like 0      
12 Jan 2010 1:31 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Auriga Crown are still trading. Returned car to them yesterday at Murcia Airport.

Hertz: You need to make sure you read the small print and find out how much fully comprehensive cover with no excess is going to cost! I believe it can be over £15 per day!

Does anyone know a company that offers a good rate for 4 days, full/full on fuel from Alicante for April (Not Easter). It all seems very expensive to me at the moment. Econorent seemed expensive to me at 116 Euros. I was hoping for around 60 Euros or am I living in a past age! lol! The car hire for 4 days could cost more than the flights. Thanks

Kevin

Like 0      
12 Jan 2010 1:46 PM by raileng Star rating. 70 posts Send private message

I picked up a car in Granada Airport and dropped off at Malaga Airport in December. I had the car for 4 days and the hire company was Auriga Crown. I was expecting to have to take the car back empty as my use was over the 3 day limit for return full and was surprised when I was told I could take the car back full. I questioned this and was told Auriga Crown have changed their rules on fuel requirement for return cars after many complaints. You may wish to check this before booking?

Trevor

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Trying to sell my home in London! Help! - 5 posts
Good News Property on the up! - 34 posts
Holiday autos car hire.. worth a look - 0 posts
Thanks! - 2 posts
Working the summer..NIE ???? - 2 posts
Legal tip 209. A tip if you are still interested on buying in Spain - 1 posts
Due to move back to UK.....Items for sale - 0 posts
for sale - 0 posts
Legal tip 208. Official credit Institute and Banks supporting companies in 2010 - 0 posts
Potential electrical / teaching work in Spain - 5 posts
Cajasur - account charges for dormant account - 2 posts
Andalusian Cinemas - films in English - 11 posts
Spanish car on sale in Cambridge - 0 posts
Cheap gym membership in Spain - 0 posts
Flights out of the UK (Bristol actually) to Murcia tomorrow... re the snow - 17 posts
Payment of Ryan Air flights with Prepaid Mastercard - 12 posts
covers for mattresses - 3 posts
Re-registering English Car in Spain - 6 posts
Nead a cleaner? - 0 posts
Reyes Fuengirola - 2 posts
Free 6 Week Self-Defence Course - 0 posts
Bits of paper required to obtain Padron ? - 3 posts
Spanish Tax - 8 posts
work - 5 posts
IVA to go up to 18% - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x