Cajasur - account charges for dormant account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by ** Account deleted ** Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

In 2002 I opened an account for non-residents with Cajasur. I only needed the account for a year because I was spending a year in Spain teaching English. I never read the account documents (in Spanish) at the time and did not particularly notice that they proposed charging a nominal weekly fee to maintain the account and for each credit / debit transaction.

The majority of the charges were not in fact levied when I was receiving my salary into that account. I closed the account in 2003 by going into the branch but have no paperwork to prove that the account was closed. I have since heard nothing about the account - apart from one or two marketing type letters selling a new credit card etc.

Much to my surprise I received a letter in December 2009 informing me that the account was overdrawn by 98 euros and informing me that I needed to make a transfer into the account to resolve the matter. I contacted the bank manager and explained what had happened.

They have no record of my attempt to close the account and say the charges continued to be levied until about 2007, when they cancelled the card. They say they don't know why I didn't close the account and have to pay this money. I have explained I don't see why I should have to pay this when I had done everything I could to close the account.

I just wondered whether anybody had any experience of anything similar with Cajasur. I need to investigate where I can elevate the complaint to as I don't think the branch manager is going to resolve it.

I am also concerned that this may somehow impact negatively on my credit record in the UK, although realistically I don't think the two systems are linked and it would only be a problem if Cajasur actually bothered to go to court in Spain to get a judgement against me and then tried to enforce it in the UK.

Grateful for any responses.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2010 10:42 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Normally when you close an account you have to sign a paper to that effect and also receive a copy.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2010 7:15 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

guslopez is correct.

If an account is closed it must be officially recorded and signed, with a copy for your records.

That is probably why they are still sending you advertising stuff.

Cannot help with possible non-payment repercussions in UK, I´m afraid.

I would probably bite the bullet and pay if it were me!

pilgrim

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Andalusian Cinemas - films in English - 11 posts
Spanish car on sale in Cambridge - 0 posts
Cheap gym membership in Spain - 0 posts
Flights out of the UK (Bristol actually) to Murcia tomorrow... re the snow - 17 posts
Payment of Ryan Air flights with Prepaid Mastercard - 12 posts
covers for mattresses - 3 posts
Re-registering English Car in Spain - 6 posts
Nead a cleaner? - 0 posts
Reyes Fuengirola - 2 posts
Free 6 Week Self-Defence Course - 0 posts
Bits of paper required to obtain Padron ? - 3 posts
Spanish Tax - 8 posts
work - 5 posts
IVA to go up to 18% - 22 posts
Wrong colour paper NIE number - 17 posts
driving instructor wanted :) - 0 posts
Spanish mortgage offer - valuations? - 4 posts
Is it me? - 3 posts
child tax credit - 3 posts
Moving To Valencia W. My Dog - 4 posts
How can I sell my house od Granada? - 3 posts
Which urbanisations on Orihuela Costa should I avoid? - 1 posts
cases xalo sl - 1 posts
Which urbanisations on Orihuela Costa should I avoid? - 5 posts
AVE High Speed Line - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x