spains appeal gone

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2009 4:41 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Goodstich,

Small world,i was born in the Barratts in Northampton,what village, i worked for Taylors and then Bairstowe eves (or Bas***d Thieves) as they are known, in Bridge street Northampton......

I am really inquisitive now...large village....ummmm....come on put me out of my misery....

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 5:00 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

I tend to agree with Georgia with regards to PC and H&S, but what bugs me is the fact that the EU tend to make the rules and it is only the UK that implements them. For example in my business I sell to customers a product  in 25kg tubs, 40kg tubs and 80kg tubs, the H&S have now banned us selling the 40kg (someone may hurt their back lifting them!, but the 80's are OK because they think nobody will try to lift them!!) but our supplier is still manufacturing for the rest of Europe who are still able to sell them. This is just one example of many. Jobs for the boys!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 5:25 PM by SGF1 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

they do say you dont appreciate  what you've got until its gone and I think perhaps this is what happens with some brits who move to spain.  It donst matter how often you come, but 2 weeks holiday is not the same as living in a country. lets face it, when your on holiday, you have money  in your pocket as you want to enjoy yourself, but 9 times out of 10, you have a job to go back to with a steady income.  Once you retire, your income drops by about 2/3rds and you have to readjust.   Moving to foreign clims, you have to weigh up how your pension will last with the changes in currency rates, you also have to want to integrate

Some people will have their view of spain coloured by difficulties they encounter with builders etc, but donst that happen to the spanish as well.  A clash is going on between the old spanish ways (i.e Franco's time) and the younger people who have seen what they can aim for and who are no longer content with working the land or pig farming. 

Of course Spain has its problems, especially in its "illegal" legal system, but as some one who worked in the police for nearly 17 years, ive seen enough of the britisgh legal system to know that its far from perfect.  Socal workers protecting chld molesters, murderers sueing the prison service because their beds are to hard or there's starch in their prison issue shirts.  as to having places to go, how many of you could actually afford a night out in Uk, not much change from £60.00  just going to the pub

Yes Spain is going through massive changes, yes the law is an ass, yes depending where you live, theres not always the facilties you might have in Uk, but I dont want  to go back to 3 to 4 hours on the M25, fortnightly bin collections, rising fuel bills (yet more gas and electricity charges on the way)  drunks vomiting on the streets and the british law seemingly there to protect the offender  not the victim 

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 5:47 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

"Of course Spain has its problems, especially in its "illegal" legal system, but as some one who worked in the police for nearly 17 years, ive seen enough of the britisgh legal system to know that its far from perfect.  Socal workers protecting chld molesters, murderers sueing the prison service because their beds are to hard or there's starch in their prison issue shirts.  as to having places to go, how many of you could actually afford a night out in Uk, not much change from £60.00  just going to the pub

Yes Spain is going through massive changes, yes the law is an ass, yes depending where you live, theres not always the facilties you might have in Uk, but I dont want  to go back to 3 to 4 hours on the M25, fortnightly bin collections, rising fuel bills (yet more gas and electricity charges on the way)  drunks vomiting on the streets and the british law seemingly there to protect the offender  not the victim "

But according to Goodstich this only happens in the "rough and overcrowded areas" obviously you live in a different UK.

I am still interested to know which village Mr Goodstich lives in, it can't be just outside Northampton as a bike ride into town would unveil most of the unsavoury going on that people have mentioned,it's my hometown and beleive me you have to be a brave man to go into the town in Midday let alone Midnight!!!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 6:09 PM by Chimps Star rating. 117 posts Send private message

I am of the opinion that Spains appeal from the Brits has been badly damaged

From what I am seeing is that as Spain appear to be putting prices up the cafes and bars to try to be profitable on the downturn in trade. That combined with the exchange rate really is making it a no go area.

Really feel that it will be a long time if ever that Spain will appeal to the Brits.I am talking about coastline Spain Costa Del Sol etc.

Have property there but with the costs of getting over there,expensive I have rented it out.Its going to be for the long haul as far as investment is concerned

Hear the Germans are starting to put the toe in the water and with the expansion of Malaga Airport it may bring a whole new client base.

Not been down to the Manilva area for a while so thought I would give it a shot after reading so much negative news

Have to say I was rather impressed. Yes its come to a standstill. Thanks heavens for that before it became the next overbuilt monster > A few beers on the beach at Manilva went down a treat .At least it wasnt the 8 Euros + for a large beer and a whiskey prices around Mijas.Benamadana etc   This is at least 25% more over a reletive short period.

I think I am right in saying that Spain do not tax on beer etc as they do in the U.K so how can prices be more expensive than here.

I feel that many from the U.K that went to Spain  (ie the ones that didnt go to Turkey) wont be going back next year from the many I have spoken to

Supermarkets doing well.People eating from there if its not an all inclusive deal.

Expensive.Much media from T.V .Newpapers. Forums  in the U.K about corruption ,its lost its appeal alright. Lovely country but fear that the Spanish bury your head in the sand attitude unless changed will mean tough times ahead.

Its going to take much more than the promise of sunshine for the Brits in the years ahead as other countries develop and offer more for a lot less. They seem to want the business unlike some of the Spanish that have the attitude that the expect it.

Well thats as far as the Brit are concerned however its a big world.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 6:34 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

georgia

that really does confirm you live in cuckoo land!!.   I have a business in the town beside a very large park and cycle in and out every day, with no problems. I wouldn't walk through the parks on my own at night, and of course the town is like any other of its size for its various problems. I go in to town at night now and again, never been beaten up yet!  What on earth happened to you?  If you lived in one of the rougher parts of town or town center then i'm sure you would have seen town 'life' , and at night in particular I agree it's a bit wild,  but that's as any town. As you know there are lovely villages around the town where life is pretty good. 

I'd rather keep where I live to myself, as you don't know what nutters might be reading the forum, but it takes approx 45 mins to cycle.

fortnightly bin collections.......wow, how awful, (I don't think) and no I would not go near the M25 unless I had to, no vommiting anywhere near where I live, and as for laws, well not even worth going there having experienced Spanish law first hand. As for rising fuel bills, well yes, but prices are rising faster in Spain for many items.

If it makes you feel better to imagine life is so bad here that's your choice, but it's not fact, and I live and work here so can confirm that from first hand experience.  If it was that bad, I would have moved house and business long ago.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FS - SOLAR HEATING panel - Vacuum tube type brand new. - 1 posts
Aircraft fleet average age. - 10 posts
Mark Wilman and Nick Hodgert - Villapac - 6 posts
Easyjet Sale up to 25% off offers ends 8th Sept 2009 - 9 posts
Nearest Tax Office for Modelo 030 and 210 - 0 posts
"Tarjeta de Residencia" Question for Maria de Castro - 12 posts
Questions about working in Gibraltar and living in Spain - 0 posts
Gobal Property Solutions - 4 posts
Rueda de Camino de Castilla - 0 posts
villas - 0 posts
Bikini Bash 2009..... - 2 posts
Children in the front seat? - 4 posts
Easyjet pulling out of Luton - 3 posts
Parking in La Linea - 2 posts
Not moving to spain, moving back from costa blanca need a man with a van or part load to move a mirror and table please - 2 posts
Outstanding Utility Bills on our Apartment - 4 posts
Estate Agency Fees - 2 posts
Legal age for entry to nightclubs in Spain and Mallorca - 1 posts
Help on renting - 4 posts
Catastral Value - 6 posts
cam bank - 1 posts
rental problem - 2 posts
Banks HAVE to change conditions - 0 posts
Car Wanted, Cash Waiting! - 0 posts
Mortgage bureau - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x