Outstanding Utility Bills on our Apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by robinsp Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

We purchased our apartment 4 years ago and used a Solicitor in Marbella.  Our deeds state that we purchased with no  outstanding bills on the property.  As this was a fairly new apartment the local taxes had not, at that time been set and no bills had been received.  At the beginning of this year we received our local tax bills and have paid them but as the earlier bills did not apply to us but to the previous owner, we contacted our Solicitor and she advised us not to worry as money had been retained by the previous owners solicitor to pay for these.  It has now been approximatley 8 months and despite chasing our solicitor these bills are still outstanding and we have been told that if they are not paid by the previous owner after 3 years they will become our responsibility.    Our Solicitor appears to be useless and just keeps pointing to the deeds and saying 'no charges on the property' but the Local Tax Office advise us differently - what can we do?

Like 0      
03 Sep 2009 2:51 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Taxes older than 4 years are expired.

Utility bills cannot be charged against you. Just Community of owners´fees.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 03/09/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Sep 2009 2:56 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

The deeds might have the old owners lawyers details if they did not sign the deeds themselves, try contacting them directly.

Joan

Like 0      
14 Sep 2009 2:11 PM by Alto Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I bought my apartment three years ago, the solicitor that was recommended to me was useless, I encountered numerous problems, from him wanting to charge me €30 each for me and my wife to get Bank cards, which are free, to him saying that all the bills were paid i.e. electric etc. My friend had moved in as a long term let and 2 months later the electric was cut off! My bank were brilliant and got it sorted within 3 hours and so that the bills came out direct debit. The final straw was when I received a bill from the Benalmadena council for over €6,000 euros. It was in the name of the previous owner so I contacted them and they said it was nothing to do with them. I got in touch with another solicitor, which are very good and they said that because my old solicitor did not make sure there was any outstanding bills against the property there is nothing I can do even though the bill is in the old owners name.

Since this has happened to me I have found out that several people in the area have had the same problem, the debt goes against the house, my neighbour had the same for around €3,000. I will have to pay mine in the long run.

Like 0      
14 Sep 2009 9:32 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I have heard that if you purchase a 2nd hand car in Spain, debts can come with it too.

Anyone know if this is true?

Thinking of buying a car in Spain and don't want to get caught out!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate Agency Fees - 2 posts
Legal age for entry to nightclubs in Spain and Mallorca - 1 posts
Help on renting - 4 posts
Catastral Value - 6 posts
cam bank - 1 posts
rental problem - 2 posts
Banks HAVE to change conditions - 0 posts
Car Wanted, Cash Waiting! - 0 posts
Mortgage bureau - 0 posts
Costa del sol? - 13 posts
New rules on reclaiming car hire/hotel overcharges from November - 0 posts
Would like advice on buying in Spain please - 20 posts
Do it yourself non residents wealth tax. - 1 posts
looking for villa or townhouse for long term rent - 0 posts
Baby Walker Wanted - 0 posts
sevillana endesa address needed - 3 posts
Taxis and buses - 2 posts
BEWARE OF GOLDCAR - 105 posts
La Tasa Anual Equivalente TAE? - 8 posts
where to buy safety/stairs gates for kids - 2 posts
Google Toolbar Translator - 2 posts
Key holding and cleaning on an ''as and when required'' basis ? - 2 posts
A few items needed! - 0 posts
Old Fool - 51 posts
Guardia Civil - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x