Advice on importing household goods

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi, just wondered if anybody has had any experience of importing their household/personal effects from outside the EU?

We've just been informed that, because our NIE numbers were issued in 2006 (prior to us completing on our purchase) and as we have paid our local IBI tax for our apartment in Spain, we may be classed as resident and that we may have to pay import duty on our household goods we are shipping from Dubai (which are going into storage for about ten months).

I have explained that we are registered as non-resident (the bank file the forms each year), we have resident visas in the UAE (which we can show we have had for years) and that all our household goods are well over a year old.  I don't know what else to tell them!  Even if I get a certificate from the British Embassy here in the UAE, they say that as we have paid the IBI tax, we may be classed as resident and they will charge import duty on our goods!!

Any advice????

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 3:32 AM by josskees Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi.

Not a real answer for you, but we as well like to know more about this subject. We will be moving from New Zealand to Spain, but we have the option to do this via Holland. Being Dutch nationals we might be able to avoid to be taxed on our household goods and than we just move our stuff overland to Spain. Let me know if you have any more info on this... Cheers from a very warm Napier, New Zealand...

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 3:32 AM by josskees Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi.

Not a real answer for you, but we as well like to know more about this subject. We will be moving from New Zealand to Spain, but we have the option to do this via Holland. Being Dutch nationals we might be able to avoid to be taxed on our household goods and than we just move our stuff overland to Spain. Let me know if you have any more info on this... Cheers from a very warm Napier, New Zealand...

This message was last edited by josskees on 07/11/2009.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2009 8:08 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

As it happens, I don't think we were advised very well!  In the event, we had no problems whatsoever.  So long as you have  a letter from your consultate that you have been resident outside Spain for over over a year (or possibly six months?), have NIE numbers and are registered on the padron (the person in whose name the shipment is - this was a definite requirement from the shipping company), and have a full inventory of the goods (they just used the packing inventory) there should be no problem.  You have to sign a couple of forms for the authorities confirming that you the goods are more than six months old and that you will not sell them before a certain time, etc.

I must say, Crown Relocations dealt with the whole process, from Dubai to delivery in Estepona, including Customs clearance, etc., and everything went smoothly.  I only showed up at the storage facility when the container arrived from Algeciras. 

Didn't have to pay one euro at this end and just had to oversee the offloading into the storage premises!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

torresatalit tv info? - 6 posts
landline - 5 posts
Weather Alicante beginning of October? - 4 posts
Probably stupid question bout Ryan air and departing different airports - 12 posts
Ryanair returning to Valencia - 1 posts
minimum wage - 2 posts
second hand private sale what to do ???????? - 2 posts
Above ground pool........ - 1 posts
Pocket dragon collectors??????? - 5 posts
Great Healthcare in Almeria - 2 posts
Channel 5 changes... - 0 posts
Hertz Car Hire - 1 posts
Consequence of lack of business Insurance - 2 posts
Long term rental - 0 posts
Buying Currency for US holiday - 3 posts
Bahia de Casares - 2 posts
Communal pool - 11 posts
Items for sale due to move to UK - 14 posts
Opening a bank account - 8 posts
Marbella uk key management services. - 0 posts
Pay as you go Broadband - 39 posts
Multi lingual forum - 11 posts
New property management service we hold the key - 0 posts
Rental with a view to purchase - 0 posts
Registering with Health Authority - Form E106 - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x