earthquake

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi

Did anyone feel an earthquake, I am in Formentera del Segura, near Rojales.  A bit scary, any one else feel it and where can I find out some news.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 12:34 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Twinmummy     SCARY STUFF After shocks as well, four at last count.   
No wonder you felt it in Formentera, epicentre wasn't far from you, around 2km !!

Magnitude 4.2
http://www.emsc-csem.org/index.php?page ... &id=101491

Summary:
Magnitude ML 4.2
Region SPAIN

Date time 2008-08-05 at 22:41:20.4 UTC
Location 38.08 N ; 0.75 W
Depth 10 km
Distances 22 km S Elx (pop 212,373 ; local time 00:41 2008-08-06)
3 km W Rojales (pop 12,755 ; local time 00:41 2008-08-06)
2 km W Benijófar (pop 3,467 ; local time 00:41 2008-08-06)
More seismicity information (Moment tensors, phases pickings, etc.)

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/6/2008.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 8:16 AM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar
Hi

Yes we felt the quake here in Hurchillo near Orihuela. I happened to go to the bathroom at 12.40am, on my way back my legs were shaking! We have a glass unit in the lounge which shaked and the sound of the shuddering from the glass on top of the unit was loud!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 8:29 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi,
My other half heard it about 1-45am, he said
the floor shook and the wardrobes were
moving. I slept through it all.He said that it was very 
frightening.

GYPSY

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 9:04 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Wow sounds very scary.   Gypsy you are as bad as me I would probably have slept through it.   Pat

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:07 AM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Hi,
I had just fell asleep when we got woken up by the earthquake it was really bad, scary stuff, I felt the one we had a cpl of months ago but this one felt alot worse, looked out of our window and the pool over the road was like a bowl of soup, splashing around. People on my parent sroad thought someone had driven a car into their house and ppl were in the street. Are we in a know earthquake zone here?

Hopefully no more to come

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:28 AM by Ricman Star rating in Hellin, Castilla La .... 104 posts Send private message

Hi, yes we are on a fault line and do get regular tremor's, normally they go by unnoticed, sometimes they feel like an underground train passing by !!  Last nights one/four even woke me up so it must have been a bit stronger than normal, still dont worry too much about it most modern properties are now constructed to withstand earth quakes/tremor's these days, just a bit scarey the first time you experience one.

Ricman

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:34 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Glad to see Gypsy slept through it all.  That'll be because she wore herself out mentally asking me about copy/paste.

Roberto said he has trouble too so I wonder if it's the system you're using. He was talking about the Firefox he's using won't let him do certain things. Hope he posts about it again but I have his email address  so I could give him more details that way.  

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:51 AM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

Wow, sitting here in the Uk, I'm a bit concerned about my apartment in Daya Nueva...has anyone seen any evidence of damge to buildings etc? Or am I over-reacting ?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 11:03 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I hope our house is ok there, I often think the boiler seems perilously sited on the utility wall about the washing machine & heard in another forum "im in montebello (algorfa) and my next door neighbours have had the boiler shook off the wall at quake number 3 water was gushing from the pipes, the boiler landed on top of the washer and has ripped tiles off the wall and smashed the floor tiles. omg what a mess"   

>>>>>>>>>  CHECK OUT

We experienced a quake whilst in Icmeler near Marmaris in Turkey on our silver wedding anniversary holiday, 12 years ago. We were in a 5* hotel sited on the beach. It was 3am & it woke me up but I had to wake my OH up. It was megga scary & I scare easily anyway. Our beds were moving apart. I was lying flat feeling very dizzy, holding onto each side of the mattress, with my husband muttering "you're having another bad dream !" Next day people were asking "did the earth move for you last night" with smirks on their faces.

We were here in the UK September/October 2003 & had booked a fortnight in Marmaris. It was around 5pm I remember & we were all packed up & thinking we really should try to get a few hours sleep as the taxi was coming  around 3am. The phone rang & it was our travel agent saying it was a curteousy call to say that the earthquake in Marmaris had not caused our holiday to be cancelled, all was ok & going ahead.  She said one of their staff in Marmaris had rung & all was fine. We hadn't heard about it so put Sky News on & it was 5. something, rather more than a slight tremor (phrase she'd used !) & people there were saying how scared they were & companies were saying they'd fly people home so we rang Bakers Dolphin, the travel agent, saying we wanted to cancel. She said we'd lose all our money then. We said it was irresponsible to take clients to that area when Sky was saying they were flying people back. She said she'd need to speak with Thomson holidays. Around 6.30pm (we really thought they'd all gone home leaving us to decide what to do) we learnt we could cancel & get a full refund including the insurance we'd also taken out.  A few weeks later we went to Zante for a week & just before Christmas we went to Malta for a week.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/6/2008.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 12:24 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Report from the Diario Informacion: 

Residents of Algorfa spent the night in the street after an earthquake which had 6 aftershocks.

After the first shock at 00.41hrs, according to data from the Instituto Geografico Nacional, there were 6 aftershocks, the last of them at 04h00. No damage to persons or property is reported.

The earthquake caused alarm among the residents of this locality of some 5000 people and much of them opted to remain outside overnight according to police
sources. A lot of families took chairs and matresses outside, for fear of a big earthquake. Local Police maintained telephone contact throughout the night with the Inst Geografico Nac. and also patrolled the streets in order to calm the population who had seen lamps,pictures and cupboards shake and objects move. Older residents have said they never remember anything like this happening before. The epicentre of the tremor was situated at 38.05degs North x 0.78degs West among the localities of Algorfa and Los Montesionos.

The t4remor was also felt by the populations of Crevillente, Catral, Benjuzar, Elche, Almoradi, Torrevieja, guardamar, Orihuela, Santa Pola and Alicante according to the IGN.

The Centre for Informacion and Coordination for Emergencies of the Gneralitat Valenciana nor the Provincial Firebrigade Centre were on on alert for this tremor.

In Los Montesinos,with some 4,284 residents, the Policia Local informed Efe that the residents were very nervious and after initially taking to the street, returned to their homes, although they were quite afraid.

The Guardia Civil and the local Councillors of the various localities received numerous calls from residents about what was happening. In elche the Policia had to try and calm a woman who had a bad nervous attack.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 1:17 PM by Chingo Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Dont worry to much this is a regular occurance, according to the Sismos activity records for the Alicante province we have had over 100 recorded shakers already this year !San Miguel had a 3.3 in March, but normally they are between the  1.5. and 2.00 strengh. Its probably because it was during the night that more people felt it, and there are a lot more holiday makers here as well.   Lets put it this way, Its the first time the earths moved for me in a long time  lol.     

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 2:13 PM by strummit Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

HI Hammersfan, we live in Daya Nueva, and although the shocks were enough to get us out of the bar into the street, as far as I can see there is no damage to any buildings in the town...

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 2:31 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Hi More,
I think I slept through it because I had a few too many of these
last night. Apparantly our next door neighbour woke up and her
kitchen was shaking,also a lot of people ran out of their
houses when the first tremor started.I LOVE YOUR WANTED POSTER.

GYPSY

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 2:57 PM by vikki3 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by vikki3 on 8/6/2008.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 3:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Vicki, there's LOADS of info on internet !!

Google for "earthquake costa blanca"

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 7:51 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

I'm hearing that more earthquakes are predicted for next week. Has anyone else heard this? and do we know what is the predicted magnitude?

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 1:50 PM by snow Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

predicting earthqueskes is pretty impossible i  thnk.!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 2:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Certainly predicting  earthqueskes is !

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 2:59 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
we get them all the while.....it just becomes second nature after a while,all houses have had to be anti seismetic construction for some time now so the safest place to be is indoors....
I haven't heard of any damage anywhere so it couldn't have been that bad,i just turned over and went back to sleep,even the dog had a quick look up and ignored it.....
I was abotut 1 mile from the Epicentre....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Delayed Completion - 2 posts
ADVERTS ON EYEONSPAIN - 1 posts
need somewhere to stay?? - 7 posts
advice please? installing sky dishes - 10 posts
Wanted: Air con installer & electrician for quotes (Algorfa/Quesada are) - 6 posts
NIE Spanish consulate London - 0 posts
"The Venue", a great night out (by El Raso urb, along the CV895 from N332 to Quesada, Costa Blanca) - 0 posts
Dedicated to our wonderful Maria de Castro who helps so many realise their dreams. Please convey your thanks here. - 26 posts
EXTRA TAXES TO COMPENSATE THE JUNTA? - 3 posts
Hi from Fuerteventura ! - 0 posts
WANTED : cot and high chair - 4 posts
Duja/Michael Hone - 3 posts
I.B.I. Taxes Estepona - 4 posts
Hi, Just introducing ourselves, Andrew and Denise from Essex. - 1 posts
Best credit cards for overseas use - 1 posts
From The Mail Online - 0 posts
Nationwide account - 1 posts
You could lose your mobile phone number PLEASE READ - 30 posts
Fortuna Golf Gardens, Murcia - 4 posts
Getting a phone lilne - 31 posts
Becky - 2 posts
Celebs........ - 0 posts
One phase completion + the new road - 2 posts
fuel pump - 3 posts
Refunds from Polaris World - 63 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x