Moving to spain for 1 year..initially..

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by troviscas Star rating in aberdeen soon to be .... 16 posts Send private message

Hi, every one..

After reading through this forum for more  than 2 months the time has come to post a few questions

I have sold my house... Bought  a flat as a secure bolt hole back home!!  (just in case) 

Picked 4 apartments for potential renting in the manilva area of casta del sol  and will be coming out to view end July.  Plan to be moving end August..Me,my youngest son(17) and my westie dog.

Although I have planned finacially for this, I still want to work.. and I want my son to find work too..

Health care is a bit of a mine field and have enquired about private medical..

What I really want to know and forgive me if I'M a bit green is....

Do I have to give up my uk residency ? bank accounts etc..  

Will this automatically happen after the 183 days out of the uk?

Can anyone tell me what an E106 form is... 

registering in spain... is it best to go through a Gestor...

I probibly have a hundred and one questions  but as soon as I start writing my mind goes blank!!

any other relevent information would be really appreciated..

I have given myself a year , mainly to get over the shock period of moving to a new country and starting a new path.. my son has been studying spanish higher and is really excited.. I have been learning  too... If we don't do this  we may spend the rest of our lives saying what if!!

thanks in advance

susz 

What I really need to know is

I

Like 0      
10 Jun 2008 10:09 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Hi Susz

Do I have to give up my uk residency ? you do if you plan to stay in Spain for more than 183 days. bank accounts etc..  Depends on the bank, some people on forums say they have been able to keep their UK account and even receive their statements and credit cards at their address in Spain.

Will this automatically happen after the 183 days out of the uk? That's a grey area, it should but there are many people living in Spain who don't work and have an address in UK for their mail to go to.  They also rely on Ehic health card for medical treatment.

Can anyone tell me what an E106 form is...It's a form which DWP issue to state that you have contracted out of the UK health system, these are only issued if your NI contributions are upto date for the past 2 years.  This form allows you to have a temporary SIP card for up to 2 years.  It depends on when you apply for the card, if in the middle of the cyurrent year then you will only be covered upto the end and then a full year after that.  Once you apply for this form then you will be giving up your uk residency.

I googled E106 and it gives some more information also it gives contact numbers to ring, others have reported that they are very helpful

registering in spain... is it best to go through a Gestor...  Have no personnel experience hopefully others will.

IIt looks like you're prepared, years ago I emigrated to Australia, I stayed for two years but missed my family so returned.  I don't regret going, it didn't work for me but at least I tried.

You're both learning Spanish and if you do find work then you'll be paying into the Spanish health system, after 15 years you'll be entitled to a Spanish pension at 65.

Don't be afraid of answering questions, that's what's this forum is for.

Good luck

Like 0      
10 Jun 2008 11:32 PM by troviscas Star rating in aberdeen soon to be .... 16 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the info... really helpful.. 

susz

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 10:18 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi Susz - I think the only point of going through a Gestor is to avoid queuing at the Town Hall.  My lawyer wanted over 100 euros to get my Residencia for me and I decided that I would brave the queues (take a good book) and do it myself.  I think Gestors are much cheaper but still don't see the point of paying for something you can do yourself.

All the best

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 9:26 AM by gocat Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Susz,

Fisrtly you're doing the right thing by renting for a year to test the water especially with the current state of the housing and employment market.  Most of your questions have been answered but I'll add a bit that may help.

Do I have to give up my uk residency, bank accounts etc? Will this automatically happen after the 183 days out of the uk?
officially yes, but I'd hold off until you know if the move will be permanent - definately keep your UK bank account. It won't happen automatically as unless you inform the relevant authorities in each country they have no idea where your spending the majority of the time.

registering in spain... is it best to go through a Gestor...
Gestor's are a normal part of life in Spain and are used by foreign and Spanish nationals alike.  If you have the time and patience (and the Spanish) to do things yourself then do, but it can be frustrating and very time consuming.

Good luck,
Greg

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 1:07 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you haven't got one already I'd open up a Nationwide Flex account.

I use one purely for drawing out money when I'm abroad.  Better rate of exchange and no charges.

You can open one on line and it doesn't have to be your main bank account.  You could also open up an e-savings a/c once it's open enabling you to have a source of funds for you to draw on abroad and until it's needed you monies earning you extra interest.

Nationwide is one of the Banks which once open allow you to live abroad, very handy if everything goes to plan.

We also have credit cards with them too and I arranged to pay off the balance each month from my flex account.

As long as you can get internet access once you're in Spain then this could work out for you.  

Once you're settled then you can get credit and debit cards from your bank in Spain

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 5:53 PM by troviscas Star rating in aberdeen soon to be .... 16 posts Send private message

Thank you again to all who have replied... About to log into Nationwide and open an account..

susz

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dishwasher Engineer - 3 posts
Hi new member-Polaris World - 2 posts
revenge.....my stupid girlfriend just........ - 0 posts
revenge.....my stupid girlfriend just........ - 0 posts
Looking for unfurnished Apartment in Sabinillas - 0 posts
Ford dealers near Mojacar/Vera - 4 posts
whats the difference between...................... - 3 posts
whats the difference between...................... - 6 posts
next step from the institute - 5 posts
TAXI FROM FUENGIROLA STATION TO CALAHONDA - 5 posts
villas around pilar de la horadada area - 0 posts
Spanish Truckers going to strike - 16 posts
my stupid boyfriend says...................... - 26 posts
San Jose NO DEEDS - 12 posts
where to buy BBQ gas - 14 posts
Help please in finding Wayne Stoneman - 5 posts
Alicante airport to San Javier - 41 posts
Taking dog to Spain from N>Ireland - 7 posts
I Need A Cleaner Not Key Holder That Cleans! - 9 posts
adapters to fit an imperial pipe to a metric plumbing system - 4 posts
social services - 17 posts
Hello I'm new also - 3 posts
Hi, I am New. Hello everyone - 4 posts
Care & Welfare Guide for the Costa Blanca. Spring 2008 - 0 posts
Spanish spelling of....................... - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x