Taking dog to Spain from N>Ireland

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by far Star rating in Dundrum, Co. Down. 169 posts Send private message

Hello,

Would anyone know the best way to take a dog to spain from N.Ireland, my dog Tara died 3 months ago and i am heartbroken, my husband wont allow me to get another dog, one of the reasons being i fretted so much for Tara whenever we had to go to spain as we left her behind. Now we are hoping to go to spain for long stay over the winter months and if i could find a good option of taking a dog with me i may be able to persuade my husband to let me get one.

FAR

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 2:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Far

There's lots of info on taking a dog to Spain on this board, you just need to spend time searching posts.

Losing a pet is never easy, I know.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/8/2008.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 6:53 PM by far Star rating in Dundrum, Co. Down. 169 posts Send private message

Hello,

Thanks for that, i agree, there is a lot of great information which i have already read. Unfortunately it is from the mainland and not N.Ireland which is why i am appealing for anyone from N.Ireland to let me know the best route they have travelled with their dog!!

FAR

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 7:48 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Are you planning to come over to Spain this winter with your new dog?

If so will you have all the paperwork ready to be able to return.

I would have thought that would be the first priority as it can take sometime to get it all correct.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 9:51 PM by far Star rating in Dundrum, Co. Down. 169 posts Send private message

I dont think the vet would be too happy arranging paperwork for a non existint dog! Yes i know all about the paper work etc etc etc I was a very responsible dog owner before and hope to be again soon. I am fortunate that i can go to spain whenever i like and come back when it suits me but i have not travelled to spain with a pet and just wondered if there were any nice northern irish people out there who have!!

FAR

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 11:37 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'm sure you are a responsible owner but you want to take your pet back and forth from Spain.  Something you will be doing for the first time, get the paperwork  and timing wrong and your pet will have to go into quaranteen. 

If you haven't read it already J&N created a blog of what they had to do to get passports for their two puppies.  Makes interesting reading and might be worthwhile having a look at to see how others managed to do it.

They also go into detail of how their dogs travelled over on a ferry which makes harrowing reading.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2008 12:53 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi Far

I am sorry that you lost your beloved Tara 3 months ago, I know how hard it is to lose a dog and how difficult a decision it is to get another. We now have 2 lovely Cavalier Spaniels who we brought to Spain last month. Although we have no plans to return to Spain, we have got their passports in place as no-one can ever say never. The one thing that I didn't initially realise when I was sorting them out was that once in place, you cannot return to the UK within 6 months of the date the blood test was taken that passed Defra's stringent tests, so although they both have their passports, we are not able to take them back to the UK without quarantining them until mid-November so, you would need to plan that into any new pet you may be considering.

We looked at a number of ways of bringing them to Spain, taking into account that they were so young. Initially we looked at flying them across but I didn't like the idea of them being in such a strange environment. The plus side to flying them is that it's a relatively short flight and therefore the seperation from you is over very quickly. Our next idea was to drive through France and Spain and take the short ferry ride from Dover to Calais, where the pups would be able to stay in their travel crate in the car, unfortunately due to our car being stolen shortly before we travelled that couldn't happen and we ended up taking the longer ferry trip to Santander which got us all here but as the previous poster commented, we all found a harrowing experience for the pups.

What I would say is that once in Spain, we have had no problems travelling with the pups. I found it easy to find pet friendly hotels where they could stay in our room just by googling 'pet friendly hotels spain'. I find in general the Spanish do not come near any unfamiliar dog and have the same types of rules as in the UK as far as clearing up after dogs, taking dogs into bars, restaurants etc. In our hotel, although it was dog friendly, they were not allowed in the bar or restaurant but if we had wanted to eat outside they would have been able to be with us there. As it was they were well settled in the room we left them there.

Whilst I appreciate I haven't travelled from N Ireland maybe the options we considered and the ideas behind them may be useful.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2008 1:46 PM by far Star rating in Dundrum, Co. Down. 169 posts Send private message

Hello J & N,

Thankyou for your comments, i read a while back about your plight and harrowing ordeal for your dogs, sorry to hear about your car, it must have been very stressful!

I am going to get in touch with Pet Air UK, it seems they are managed by vets, only when i am satisfied that a suitable route can be found with minimum distress caused will i be able to choose another dog and then i can hopefully start the ball rolling, i know it will be a long process but one i cannot begin in terms of passport until i  actually have another hairy child!!

I would gladly just stay within the UK but dont think hubby would be best pleased.

FAR

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I Need A Cleaner Not Key Holder That Cleans! - 9 posts
adapters to fit an imperial pipe to a metric plumbing system - 4 posts
social services - 17 posts
Hello I'm new also - 3 posts
Hi, I am New. Hello everyone - 4 posts
Care & Welfare Guide for the Costa Blanca. Spring 2008 - 0 posts
Spanish spelling of....................... - 1 posts
Transport workers strike about fuel costs - 17 posts
Speeding ticket - 12 posts
Looking for long term rental that will accept 2 dogs in Quesada or near by area - 2 posts
Heating - Gas or Electric? - 8 posts
Can you drink the water? - 32 posts
Site Clearence has started - 15 posts
Good agents on the CDS - 1 posts
Wifi - 2 posts
paying the sellers tax on a re-sale purchase - 8 posts
Phoning a Spanish mobile - 12 posts
E.O.S.VIDEO - 9 posts
New rules for empadonamiento, again - 2 posts
Morerosado is leaving - 34 posts
Ryanair to start flying from London Stansted to Madrid - 0 posts
Spanish Airport Guide Newletter - 13 posts
New Airport at Corvera - 1 posts
Agencis Tributaria Renta return - 3 posts
Easyjet discounts: Book by June 10th for June 16th to July 17th flights, all flights ! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x