Ok... I have a list of areas!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hello everyone,

My family and I are in the process of looking for areas to live in when we relocate to Spain...

The areas we have been told to consider are;

Rojales
Daya Nueva
San Fulgencio
Villa Martin
La Marina
San Cayetano in Costa Calida
Los Altos
Daya Vieja

Does anyone live or know of these areas or can they point me to any info about them..

We need an area that is quite well contained as we don't drive (too expensive in UK!); good schools (we would prefer Spanish schools so out daughter can mix, she is still only 9mths old), we would like to live in a fairly well mixed community as well.

I have so many more questions but my mind has turned to mush (the baby is teething and driving us mad haha)

Looking forward to your responses,

Sarah + Family

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sarah & family

First of all how will you support yourselves in Spain ? Who is going to try for work ? What qualifications has that person ? Do you speak any Spanish ? Are you planning to rent or buy ? If you don't drive this must be factored in as well. Have you read any posts on this or other forums about these areas ? Ideally you should go on holiday & look around yourselves as what suits one won't suit others. Most of these places are close to each other on the Costa Blanca. However, without a car you're going to be tied.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:23 PM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

My husband and I are both self employed and have our own businesses; I am a freelance copywriter and my husband is a web designer. Both of our businesses are obviously web based, so we can take our business anywhere (internet connection permitted).

We need to be somewhere that has a bus service or taxi service available and shops etc in walking distance or easy to get to at least...

We are planning on buying not renting.

We don't mind being tied as long as there are some ways of getting around and about without a car...

Sarah

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:39 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hi Sarah and family..............................the bus service here is pretty grim, at least around playa Flamence, Villa Martin and Los Altos!! The problem is really that buses do not run around the urbanisarions so you have a fair way to walk to catch one and their timetable leaves much to be desired mainly because of the vast amounts of traffic on the 332 which is one of the main roads!! They are widening this road but it's gonna take some time to complete.

Personally, I think Both Villa Martin and Los Altos are a bit 'out' of it especially for schools and medical stuff. Rojales is nice, but I don't know about schools there. I am in Playa Flamenca, which has it all, but it's not to everyones taste of course.

It would be a good idea to treat yourselves to a couple of weeks holiday in one of the areas you've mentioned and take a look at the other areas. There are lots of taxi firms and I know of at least two people ( not me!!) who would run you about without bancrupting you!!

Good luck with what you're doing, let us know how you get on.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:41 PM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly

What is Playa Flamenca like for amenities, schools etc?

Sarah

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Rojales could be a good place. It's quite extensive & next to Formentera, where many members have bought too. We have friends living in Benimar on the outskirts of Benijofar & it's easy to walk from Rojales into Benijofar, another lovely Spanish town with much of everything I think you'd need/want as well as Rojales. It's chokka with shops/bars/restaurants & mixture of people.

Here's a map showing Rojales, Benijofar & Formentera. Our property is just above the Salines de la Mata (salt lake).

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/16/2008.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:44 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Sarah, Playa Flamenca has it all, schools, doctors, shops ( lots, Spanish and English ) pubs, clubs, multiculture, markets, beaches, easy access to motorway and surrounding towns..............................you name it ...........we got it!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Playa Flamenca has Karen too, don't forget .  

Sarah, Karen & I met on this forum then met in Spain & have a good friendship.  

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 10:59 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I don't think Sarah can base her life on Playa Flamenca cos I live there More!!!          Although she could......................?? I could always babysit!! and help her with internet access....................NO I don't sell it before anyone jumps in and says I'm advertising!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
16 Feb 2008 11:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Inbetween you being the President's missus, quiz mistress, running the slimming club & calming me down  you've no time for babies, Karen !

I think Sarah, you should go over & rent somewhere for a holiday as it's too important not to get this right. Without good transport links it's not going to be too easy to get around but you could contact "Georgia" (estate agent for RightMove Espana in Guardamar & a great guy who is a friend & posts on EOS regularly) & he would likely show you different areas. He usually advises people to rent first if that's possible so they have lots of time whilst living there in which to look around. He has been in Spain a few years & has a young family so knows about infant schools. His 5 yr old daughter goes to Algorfa local Spanish school.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/16/2008.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 12:42 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

What you advertising Karensun?

If you ain't got it, I can bring it next time I come sweetness  

Big hugs fluffy..........................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 8:10 AM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

lot's to think about there, thankyou for all your answers :D

Although Playa Flamenca is sounding promising with the babysitting and all :P hahaha!!!

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 12:18 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Hi Sarah you can also add Almoradi to your list it is a well established spanish town of around 17000 with the shops and schools you need,you do need to come out on a few visits to the area to see wish town you prefer as more says contact georgia he will be a great help with kids at scool in Algorfa, next to Almoradi.these are only 5mins from Formenera and Rojales etc as more said all these towns are close each one with its own merits,so very important to take your time and choose the one that suits you.Good luck,Regards Pat.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 12:27 PM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Thankyou Pat, yes we intend to come and visit a few areas as we realise that the wrong choice could be a costly mistake and the right choice means we will happy and settled for the rest of our lives! :-)

I'm writing down all these areas as you mention them so I can check them out :D

Thanks everyone! This is so greatly appreciated :-)

Sarah + Family

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 12:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Sarah, me again  All I see when you put smiley faces are these & I can't think why.

:D and  :-)

Are you clicking on the smiley face above & adding them or are you typing what I/we see ?

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 1:00 PM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Whoops

I've been shortcutting!! hehe

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 1:18 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I would have thought that Los Altos would have been ok, there are 3 supermarkets in the area. Consum, Todo Todo (think it's called something different now) and Mercadonna.

Pick the right spot and you're near to the bus service which goes into Torrevieja.  From the terminus there you can get buses going in all directions.

Or why not go native and move into the town itself.  Rent/buy a flat and sample all the good things which Spain offers. 

If you don't want to get a car then I would have thought this would be the best option, it has a very good local bus service which is free to those registered on the Padron.

Other than that what about looking for somewhere nearer to the train stations inland, that way you can get about using those excellant services.

Not available nearer to the coast but we live in hope that something will be soon.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2008 5:00 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Hi Sarah

Not driving means that you have to have good public services on your doorstep and it is quite good and cheap in Spain...it wont be all that long before most of the country is covered by their high Speed train and the trip tp Madrid will be circa 2 1/2 hours- It is planned to connect to the French one

You will be able to find a nice mixed community which is not dominated by holiday homes and Spanish Schools are very good

With your daughter being 9 months she will grow up in a children friendly environment and will probably be bi lingual before she starts school so there will be no mixing problems

You will need to know all about the Spanish system and living permanently and working in Spain, Health service etc

Helping with all these matters are part of our professional service which is provided in conjunction with a Spanish firm who are very experienced

Not easy to make a decision via internet as you really have to go to Spain and be shown around and speak to people on the ground about moving to spend your life in Spain....only after you have done this and have full information can you finaly decide

Good planning is essential for a stress free move

I have responded to your PM

Brian        

This message was last edited by rowlandsbb on 2/17/2008.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 9:26 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Foot in mouth here.

I don't like the Orihuela Costa.  I stayed for two weeks in La Florida and one in Villamartin. They just seemed to be a mass of sprawling estates and if you don't drive, you are stuck in them.

My choice from the suggestions would be Rojales or Almoradi.  Almoradi in particular ticks all your boxes as almost everything you could want is there. It has a lovely, Spanish, bustling atmosphere. Many shops and a superb market every week.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 10:30 AM by Sfolly Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Yeah, we like the look of Almoradi from what we have seen so far. We think that it will be close to the top of our list!

Sarah

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dining Room Furniture - 0 posts
Hello everyone - 1 posts
Jarvo - 2 posts
Insurance for a UK registered car being driven in Spain - 0 posts
re sale in los altos - 0 posts
SAY WHAT U C !!................bit of a quiz. - 27 posts
Mundi Abogados Solicitors - 0 posts
site office contact details please urgent - 2 posts
Sol Vivienda - 3 posts
Planning permission - 14 posts
lawyer needed in El Albujon, Murcia - 1 posts
no Bank Guarantee=refund - 26 posts
Architect Wanted - 3 posts
Landlords Rights - 3 posts
Long term rent required-7 months - 1 posts
Happy Valentines!! - 15 posts
TAKING YOUR CAR TO SPAIN - 3 posts
NEXT delivers to Spain for 15€ ! - 13 posts
What happens when it all goes wrong? - 11 posts
Hi I am new in here - 12 posts
RyanAir to close website for 3 days next week - 3 posts
Underground Bins & current bins - 5 posts
House up for sale - now the fun begins! - 28 posts
Is it illegal to sell off plan property with no guarantees? - 6 posts
El Trampolin don't want to pay - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 50

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x