Public transport to airports

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Information on public transport to airports is not always easy to find, either on the net or locally. However, in many cases the service is actually better than often assumed. To help people who travel by public transport find their way, I am starting this new thread to share knowledge and provide a source for future reference. Alicante ------- Alicante airport is served by bus route C6 into central Alicante. This runs approx every 40 minutes and the fare is 1 Euro. Buses are not always punctual. Travellers wishing to continue their journey by rail towards Murcia alight at San Gabriel Estacion and catch the Cercanias train. Timetables can be downloaded from the renfe website. The service is regular and mostly punctual. For other rail services, alight at Luceros from where it is a short walk to the central station. The C6 bus continues along the Rambla and serves Pontiguet beach and the foot of the old town. I understand there are plans to extend the Alicante tram to the airport by 2011. Can anybody confirm this? I am also told by railway staff that it is possible to walk from Torrellano rail station to the airport and that this is actually faster than catching the bus via San Gabriel. However, I never tried this and never managed to find a map showing any footpaths. Can anybody confirm? There are also a sporadic coach services from Alicante airport to Murcia via the motorway (no intermediate stops served). However, I have until now been unable to source any timetables. There is also a coach to Benidorm and a bus to Elx. Again, I have no timetable information but both appear to be fairly regular.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2007 9:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

amogles excellent idea of yours. I will post the website for the trains. http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html

Like 0      
23 Nov 2007 11:58 PM by lyndy Star rating in Barnsley,South Yorks.... 125 posts Send private message

lyndy´s avatar

Hi,

Has anybody got any info as to whether there are any buses that go from Alicante airport down to Los Alcazares (San Javier) or cartagena,in the Month of january,

Any info grateful

Cheers

Lynda

Like 0      
26 Nov 2007 9:50 AM by PVP Star rating in birmingham. 44 posts Send private message

Any information on buses and trains to Murcia from Alicante is good and can be tucked away until needed keep it coming, Paul

Like 0      
26 Nov 2007 11:15 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
For all airport related stuff check out my friend's site:

www.spanish-airport-guide.com

It's got (probably) everything you need to know about getting to and from airports.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Nov 2007 11:30 AM by Stephen2006 Star rating in Glasgow/ Torre Guil . 78 posts Send private message

Stephen2006´s avatar

Also try the aena website www.aena.es After selecting language, select airport then practical information, then mode of transport.

For example for Alicante Airport the following info is available for buses -

Alicante-Airport Line (C6).

Itinerary:
Plaza del Mar-Rambla Portal de Elche-Rambla Provincial Treasury-C/Alfonso X El Sabio-Plaza de los Luceros-Paseo del Soto-Bus Station-Avenida Catedrático Soler (Police Station)-Avenida Catedrático Soler (Blue Division)-Babel Polytechnic-Park-San Gabriel-Inespal-Patents Office-Agua amarga-Slaughterhouse-FORD-Danone-Bascula-Scrapyard-Aitana School-IFA-Airport (opposite arrivals and departures).
Timetable:
6:30 to 23:10
every 40 minutes.
Price:
€1

Benidorm-Airport Line

Itinerary:
Avenida de Europa-Avenida Rey Jaime I-Airport (opposite arrivals and departures).
Timetable:
The timetables are available on the Alsa web page.
Price:
€7.
General information and bookings telephone number:
902 422 242

Murcia-Airport Line.

Itinerary:
San Andrés Bus Station (C/Los Bolos s/n)-Airport (opposite arrivals and departures).
Timetable:

The timetables are available on the Alsa web page.

Price:
€4.09 (single); €7.36 (return).
General information and bookings telephone number:
902 422 242

This info is available for all AENA operated airports.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2007 1:27 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Finding timetables for the Alicante to Murcia services using the RENFE website is not immediately obvious as the page you come to at first only list long-distance trains, a small number of which do connect Alicante and Murcia, but in fact there is more to it than that.

You have to select Cercanias at the top right hand corner of the page and then Murcia/alicante.

This display trains that the previous page didn't display. The service is a bit more than hourly. The Murcia to Lorca service is also more or less hourly on weekdays and a bit less at weekends. Aguilas is served by three trains a day (from Murcia via Lorca) with one or two extra trains at the height of the summer.

The train fare is absolutely unbeatable: 5.30 Euros will take you all the way from Aguilas to Alicante.

Personally I am a fan of the Aguilas train as the descent at Jaravia provides some spectacular views of Aguilas, the coast and the sea. Seeing it is well patronised I'm surprised RENFE doesn't run it more often.

The connection to the airport C6 bus at Alicante is easier than it looks. The trick is that this bus runs in a loop, ie Alicante - San Gabriel - Torellano - Airport - San Gabriel - Alicante. This means getting from the airport to Torrellano is more straightforward that getting back. The easiest place to change is at San Gabriel as the bus stop here is directly adjoining the railway station and the connection works well in both directions.

The signposting at San Gabriel is not totally self-explanatory, but if you bear in mind that the platform on the beach-side is for Murcia and the platform on the land side is for Alicante, you can't go wrong.

If you want to change from train to bus at Torrellano, this is slightly more tricky but also doable. The bus does not serve the station directly, but is within easy walkable distance and is fairly self-explanatory.

I've never actually done any of the other airports by public transport so can't say how well they work.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Money Back - 1 posts
snagging list not required before purchase??? - 3 posts
Manzanares golf course - 1 posts
Upset at Manilva Beach - 4 posts
currencey exchange - 20 posts
Police Denuncia Form pdf file. (Translated into English too.) - 2 posts
Guide to Duquesa - 10 posts
Hyundai accent, 1.3, - 0 posts
the new cheese shop in san miguel - 7 posts
FOOTIE AVATARS - 4 posts
Recommended agents -thinking of selling in Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
Euromarina Properties - 3 posts
The cheese board in san miguel? - 2 posts
Agua Mediterraneo 9 - Torrevieja- Anybody know it??? - 1 posts
Rental in Costa Calida short or long term - 2 posts
Got our money back!!! - 10 posts
Buying on Entre Naranjos - 13 posts
Las Kalendas,Fortuna - 8 posts
Keen anglers - 0 posts
I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas - 10 posts
moving to spain in 2008 - 1 posts
christmas dinner - 2 posts
Shortish Term Rental in Spain - 0 posts
Land Registry Fees - 1 posts
Adding images to a signature - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x