Relationship split but joint owned property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Aug 2023 11:42 PM by rubio75 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Is there is any way to either take full ownership of my jointly owned property, or sell it without my ex husbands signiture. He was forcably removed due to domestic violence and has been living in the uk now for three years, with his new partner. He does not contribute to taxes or any bills to do with any maintenance. I currently reside in the property. He is not in contact but I know he will not sell this to make my life difficult. 

I understand if i file for divorce then the house will be put on the table so to speak but I am really looking at how I can either own this outright or sell it without any involvement from him, or going through this painfully long drawn out process. Is the property classed as abandoned by him at any point?

Thanks in advance

Like 0      
27 Aug 2023 9:41 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You will need to buy the other owners share of the property from them ..the simple way of doing this is by divorce settlement your appointed lawyer would handle the property transfer into your name it's pointless going on about how your ex partner is not contributing to the upkeep  of the property  the fact is if no young children are involved he doesn't need to contribute and you are living in his half of the property rent free so go and see a good divorce lawyer 😀. 

This message was last edited by windtalker on 8/27/2023.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2023 1:23 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello rubio75

You will probably need a good Spanish lawyer to deal with this, (but that will be expensive). If you cannot reach an agreement for one of you to buy the other out then it will need to go to court for a ‘’Dissolution of joint property ownership in Spain’’. Be aware the court procedure can take many years, 5 years or many more. The court will order that the property be independently valued and placed on the open market for sale. If it is sold you will share the net funds equally. If it is not sold it will be placed in auction. If it is still not sold, you being the property resident will be entitled to about 60% of the court valuation of the property from the joint owner, and the joint owner is only allowed to about 40%. As far as I know, that’s the end of it.

My advice for what it is worth is to let your ex-partner do all the running and pay all the legal and lawyers’ fees. No one can evict you and if it is not resolved you can live in the property until the graveyard.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2023 7:03 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I think you are surely asking for the impossible.  Any court in the civilised world would reject your request as they must always base their judgment on the full facts.

You don't specify your nationalities, but is it not simpler to agree divorce proceedings in England?  Non-contested divorces are a lot simpler and quicker these days in that country, which seems a whole lot better for those who just wish to "move on".

Like 0      
28 Aug 2023 8:14 PM by rubio75 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you all, my apologies we are both British. Some helpful ideas and information. Glad I joined the forum.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2023 8:40 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

My advice was based on the property being in Spain and rubio75 is a Spanish resident living in the property. Is that correct rubio75?

Like 0      
03 Nov 2023 8:32 AM by pogonip Star rating in Kansas city. 1 posts Send private message

I would highly recommend consulting a real estate attorney to fully understand your options and rights in this situation under local laws. There may be ways to expedite the process, especially with the claims of abandonment and domestic violence. Please let me know if you need any other information!

Like 0      
05 Nov 2023 8:30 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

I have gone through this process myself, and it is referred to as a "dissolution of property" My property was in Murcia.  I have attached the solicitors email to me and breakdown of costs that were presented to me for your info.  Obviously as said elsewhere in the replies to you, costs will differ from region to region.  You also need to be aware that if your Ex lives in the UK and has no intention of returning to Spain to complete the process i.e. signing of documentaion, then she will need to appoint a Power of Attoney to act on her behalf.  Hope you find this helpful.  My Ex did not oppose this course of action as she kept the property that was jointly owned in the UK and fortunately the split was amicable unlike yours.  Below is what my solicitor sent to me.

"Unfortunately Stamp Duties has to be paid. They are due on any document to be signed before a Public Notary and to do the dissolution of joint ownership and register it at the Land Registry, it is necessary to sign a Public Title Deed.

I made a mistake because I calculated Stamp Duties at 2% rate when in these cases the rate is 1.5%. I have calculated the Stamp Duties on the declared value of your purchase which was 215.000 Euros, however I have accessed  the website of the Region of Murcia to find out the minimum value to be declared on a property like yours, and I have worked out a value of 88.026,47 Euros. You could declare that value and it would reduce highly the possibilities of being revised the value by Murcia Tax Authorities. However if you do so, you have to take into account that at the time of selling your property, the value of your original 50% would be half of 215.000 Euros which is 107.500 Euros, but the value of the 50% you acquire now would be half of that value 88.026,47 which is 44.013,23 Euros, and therefore, the capital gain tax on you sale will be calculated accordingly"

With those to changes and not charging for searches and change of utilities, the breakdown will be as follows:

DEPOSIT FOR LEGAL EXPENSES

NOTARY FEES (APPROX.)

STAMP DUTIES

LAND REGISTRY FEES (APPROX.)

SOLICITOR FEES

VAT (21 %)

TOTAL DEPOSIT

If you decide to go ahead, we will need to have copy of the sentence of divorce in order not to pay any Plusvalia Tax at the Town Hall.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cooling systems in rental properties - 12 posts
Looking for legitimate holiday rental - 0 posts
Recommendations for car hire at Malaga airport - 3 posts
Taps - 3 posts
De- Banking - 9 posts
Spanish income Tax for a UK 🇬🇧 expats. - 11 posts
excess energy from solar panels - 4 posts
How to find who owns GE Mortgage book now? - 6 posts
Murcia area -20 year rule for legalisation. - 20 posts
Touring caravan - 6 posts
UK to Spain (Madrid) - 1 posts
Calls to UK - 2 posts
Only 1,800 British Citizens have entered Spain on a NLV since its introduction. - 14 posts
Only 1% of new builds being bought by the British - 13 posts
Builder changed quote and over charging. Threatening court if I don’t pay the extra - 3 posts
Scammers on EOS by Private Messages - 2 posts
As a UK guy what is the difference between 'Saldo Actual' and 'Saldo Disponible' for Spanish current accounts (say BBVA for example) - 7 posts
Ayúdame a elegir hosting para mi sitio web - 0 posts
La ley mordaza - 0 posts
Jatar - 0 posts
Duty to repair - 2 posts
Energia XXI no bills since December 2022 - 2 posts
Property - 2 posts
Question on setting up cycling holiday company from the UK - 1 posts
Necessary Repairs - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x