Touring caravan

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jul 2023 8:53 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

I have Residencia in Spain and would like to buy a small touring (possibly folding) caravan.  Does anyone know the ITV, insurance etc regulations on a caravan?  I was going to bring one from the UK but don't know if I'd have to pay Import tax etc. I read  in an ad that if weight was 750kg then it wouldn't need insurance or ITV.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
03 Jul 2023 9:36 PM by dcp21 Star rating in Mold. 25 posts Send private message

Do a search on Citizens Advice Bureau Spain (Facebook page) for Caravan. I do know there's more to it than we may think especially if it's over 750kg for importing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/171561296334693/search?q=caravan

Like 0      
03 Jul 2023 10:35 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Thank you.  I shall try the CAB.

Jo and Jim

Like 1      
04 Jul 2023 1:46 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

There are two types of classification of caravans, those of more than 750 kg of Maximum Authorized Mass (MMA) and those of less:

Caravans with a MMA of less than 750 kg do not need their own insurance, since they are considered as a complement to the vehicle that tows them, so it is the vehicle's own insurance that covers Civil Liability.

If the caravan exceeds 750 kg of MMA, it does need its own basic insurance to be able to circulate that covers civil liability.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2023 7:40 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Kavanagh,

I imagine you're right re smaller caravans being insured for the third party risks whilst attached to the towing vehicle.  But there may be confusion (particularly in Spain) as to the extent of cover applicable to the caravan at other times - eg damage cover whilst attached or detached from the towing vehicle?  Including the consequences of becoming accidently detached!

I vaguely recall this being an issue with an EOS contributor in the past...

Like 0      
04 Jul 2023 8:28 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Acer

I was referring to the legal requirement. Sorry, I did not state that.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2023 7:08 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Kavanagh - your post was good - mine's just a different perspective.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UK to Spain (Madrid) - 1 posts
Calls to UK - 2 posts
Only 1,800 British Citizens have entered Spain on a NLV since its introduction. - 14 posts
Only 1% of new builds being bought by the British - 13 posts
Builder changed quote and over charging. Threatening court if I don’t pay the extra - 3 posts
Scammers on EOS by Private Messages - 2 posts
As a UK guy what is the difference between 'Saldo Actual' and 'Saldo Disponible' for Spanish current accounts (say BBVA for example) - 7 posts
Ayúdame a elegir hosting para mi sitio web - 0 posts
La ley mordaza - 0 posts
Jatar - 0 posts
Duty to repair - 2 posts
Energia XXI no bills since December 2022 - 2 posts
Property - 2 posts
Question on setting up cycling holiday company from the UK - 1 posts
Necessary Repairs - 1 posts
Sailing to Spain Ferry membership - 0 posts
Check your passport signature!! - 18 posts
Does deed name change need to be made on selling? - 5 posts
AFAs, DAFAs or SAFAs - 1 posts
The Wanderer pauses - 0 posts
Question for Maria. How long can Spanish courts hold claimants monies and what are the rules governing interim interest? - 13 posts
Autonomo and foreign income (from France) - 4 posts
Recommended builders - 0 posts
Hello - 7 posts
Banco de Espana average exchange rates for 2022 - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x