Selling off-plan apartment - no guarantees?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by suziew Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

I have an off-plan apartment bought through Andalucian Dream Homes.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances I have to sell it. I put it on the market with ADH but was told it was unlikely to sell due to the spanish government enforcing the law that any off-plan apartment that is sold on will not have any guarantee for the new purchaser.

Is this true?

Thanks

Suz  

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sounds like they're getting the law confused to me.

Only thing I can think they may be referring to is the authorities clamping down on "flipping" without the original buyer being registered or recorded at all, thereby avoiding any potential CGT liability. As far as I know, new homes should by law have a 10 year guarantee on the structure, which is valid regardless of how many times it changes hands. Anyone know any different?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 7:47 PM by suziew Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply.

The way I understood it the guarantee was something to do with in case the builder went bankrupt before the apartments were finished. ADH told me that if I sold it the buyer would not have this guarentee.

Ever heard of that?

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 8:04 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

In that case they are surely referring to the bank guarantee? Again, I don't see how "selling" the contract on any individual property within the development would affect the bank guarantee that the developer has with their bank for the development as a whole?

Here's a thought - could it be that ADH are not interested in selling your property, because there are still unsold units available in the development, for which they would get more commission from the developer than they would from you for selling yours?

Have you tried offering it to other agents in the area?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 9:05 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

There are no new recent  laws on off plan developments: nothing has recently changed regarding the  bank guarantee and of course, that is a legal obligation of the builder whoever is the  final buyer.

The only new aspect to be considered regarding off plan purchases is a higher fiscal or tax control on the transmission before completion which needs to pay the 7% tax, but that seems to be a different matter.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 11:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I think that's what I was thinking about in my first post - rather than CGT, the 7% transmission tax, that the authorities want to collect on the sale of unfinished properties, just the same as on completed re-sales. In other words, to stop contract flipping without going through the usual process of transferring property from one individual to another. Still, as Maria says, this doesn't seem to be particularly relevant to what you were told by ADH.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

shirley1 - 1 posts
Anyone been to Jerez recently - 0 posts
For everyone... - 1 posts
Urgent protest action required...Monarch Flights, Gatwick-Granada - 10 posts
one bed apartment for holiday/short term lets IN PLAYA FLAMENCA - 1 posts
Diving Schools - 1 posts
where to buy a computer - 18 posts
Help With Polaris World - 5 posts
Newsletter drop down Banner - 1 posts
All i read is moan,moan Has no one brought and is HAPPY - 30 posts
Purchase fees,advice needed. - 1 posts
GP Needed ? any suggestions - 1 posts
bankers draft rip off - 21 posts
just to say hi, - 5 posts
I dont know where to start, help! - 36 posts
12th october - 4 posts
All seems to have gone pear shaped - 179 posts
Driving to almeria - 7 posts
Cortijos de la Bahia, Casares by developer El Arco de Marbella SL - 0 posts
New Member - 1 posts
already posted in the short term one by mistake. rental within 30 mins of airport required - 4 posts
long term rental required within 30 minutes of alicante/murcia airport - 8 posts
Completion 'check list' - 2 posts
Steps to get your children into State Schools in Spain - 9 posts
ICE-RINKS - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x