Steps to get your children into State Schools in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Hi All

Me Again...quick question...spoke to a school today in Jalon...(reg Alicante - CB) who said, yes delighted for you to visit (State Spanish School) but we cannot register you unless you are on the the Padron.

Now....

1. I wont arrive until next June so cannot be on the Padron until the day I arrive.

2. I will have my NIE sorted out (applying when I visit in October)

Questions :

A : If you live in an area, are the schools (state) obliged to take you if they are in the catchment area (as per the UK?)

B: Can I get registered on the Padron earlier than the day I arrive

C: Is the medical for our children required from a spanish doctor? and What is the cost ?

I sent the above to someone personally on EOS, but I think they maybe a little busy....and I'm very impatient...:-)

TAAAA LOOADS

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 2:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi pknott ....................  ONE question  

Just looked at our Padron (signed on ours last summer) & it has both our passport numbers on ( we are joint owners of one property) & also our Spanish address. My OH just said that, as far as he recalls, we only had to take our passports & Copia Simple. That was, however, to Guardamar town hall so maybe you should go to your own town hall asap & try to sign on the padron without NIEs. (Seeing as you won't have them !) Good luck.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 4:53 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hola - the state schools HAVE to take your child/children, hownever they can refuse if they have no space (you go onto a list) or you dont have the correct documentation

You can register earlier on the padron if you go with your passport/nie and proof of where you live to the local town hall. They should give you a form of receipt on the day with the official one to follow.

The medical is by local spanish doctor is a small fee but you need to be registered there as well.

Good luck.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 5:11 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
So...can the situation arise where you cannot get your children into school at all? In that event...what would happen

Like 0      
05 Oct 2007 5:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Does it depend on each town hall as to what they accept to get you onto the Padron, I wonder. (Or maybe if it's near election time ? ) I know we got on easily but I also heard on another forum that someone over Torrevieja area, only around 5 miles from us, wasn't allowed to sign on the Padron at Orihuela town hall as she was still on builders water, hence no habitation licence. We were not in possession of our habitation licence when we went on the Padron & were on builders water at the time although had mains electric. All sounds very hit 'n miss. Suggest you just go ask at yours.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 1:45 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

They are certainly clamping down and if the school is oversubscribed then the secretary will do what she can to avoid taking a child on!

All you can do is get over and push hard. There will be a space somewhere but possibly not of the school of choice

If you are renting then it may be better to find which has a space first then renting near there - a rented place should be fully legal and with the rental agreement you should get the padron.

If they dont get into any school then I think they would fall between everything ie the truancy offices in the Uk ssume child has gone into foreign school, and here they would just request you turn up with the correct documents!

In theory you could get prosecuted for not letting child into education but then again you could argue that if school wont let them in

I wouldnt worry about it - you will get a place and it is eu law all children have to be educated. And the books are now free (I a;ways had to buy them) and dentist free under 12years old as well!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 3:28 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Hi rixxy

With the Dental care....I assume you have to have your NIE..on Padron..etc to get into one locally...but assume that all care up-to 12 is free...what happens after that...costs etc?

yours

Paul

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 3:31 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Yes, from memory I think a check up and clean/polish is about 30 euros, check/x-ray/filling around 70-80 euros

No idea if thats good or not but although now its free it wasnt when I first came here so always paid.

School books for state schools are also free now - again Ive always paid - and now both kids are in private still paying!

They really are rather expensive luxuries arent they!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 3:37 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Sound about the same price we are paying in Ireland already...so no drama...thanks

Like 0      
11 Oct 2007 3:41 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

heyre pretty good and very up to date with technology. The guys I use are norwegian so language covered - the orthodontist is spanish and an absolute whizz. Sons teeth straightened in just over a year which cost 60 euros per month each month

Also you get your choice of dentist as well

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ICE-RINKS - 2 posts
The rental business in Spain needs to be regulated - 9 posts
Private Messages problem - 2 posts
Importing car from outside Europe - 5 posts
hello im new to this forum - 0 posts
Debonair Air Conditioning - 3 posts
Caleta Paraiso - 3 posts
Maintenance service - San Cayetano - 1 posts
The RAIN in Spain.......................... - 40 posts
halloween/guy fawkes - 0 posts
Ryannair Summer flights 2008 - 1 posts
Llanera in trouble - 1 posts
help - 2 posts
20,001 Members - 7 posts
Money transfers to spain - 8 posts
eirlys floyd - 1 posts
spanish wills. - 17 posts
Community Is The Key To Success! - 0 posts
Last Chance Of Bargain Luxury Apartment With A difference! - 0 posts
Your Choice Of Area Very Important! - 0 posts
www.sirragolfservices.com - 3 posts
For Morerosado. - 10 posts
Cash deposit(s) at Halifax Espana branches - 1 posts
Banking Administrator – Gibraltar - 1 posts
Justice in Spain? - 21 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x