UK EEC Referendum

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2015 5:43 PM by Nels Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I certainly seem to have created interest in my comments, they were designed to promote a healthy exchange of views.

One point seemed to 'ring out loud and clear' those who seem to wish to deny ex pats the vote in their OWN future,

I thought that the EC (including Britain) was a democracy !  Why then deny votes to those who live within the democracy, and wish to exercise their RIGHTS ?  Surely not deny individuals because they might vote differently to one's own views?

The British Government have reserved the right to tax my civil service pension, despite my registration in Spain for tax, I have no power to change that, surely this means that the UK wants me, and therefore have my best interest at heart, so why not let me vote on my own future?  As long as there is no time limit for tax can be taken, there should be NO time limit imposed against me for voting.

Another observation possibly overlooked, should the vote  for 'coming out' of th EC be successful, what provision has or will be made for the potential TOTAL return of ex pats to the UK, have they considered the effect upon the NHS, the SOCIAL services, Possible benefits payments, and of course housing' Or are we to be denied re entry, despite having a British passport??

This message was last edited by Nels on 29/11/2015.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 5:43 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I wish ppl would stop scaremongering on this site.

"If the referendum goes against us, then several things could happen, 1 Our National Health cover here in Spain is stopped ! 2. Our State pensions would be 'frozen' as in Australia.3. We might be expected to take Spanish Nationality to avoid some problems, thereby some getting problems with inheritance tax."4. We could be asked to pay a 'lump sum' to Spain,in advance to cover our health and social care because the UK at present pays for us, if I believe, we are retired, and over 65. Few could afford that!  Because ALL ex pats will in some way be effected"

Where does this information come from? I'll answer - no-where........Is it the policy of the UK government? NO..

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

Why should the UK be any different? If you want to stay in the EU then stay there. I have a place in Spain and know for a fact that should the UK leave the EU it will make no difference, why you may ask? Because every time I go to my 2nd home I take money there and spend it.

Like 2      
29 Nov 2015 6:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nels:   The British Government have reserved the right to tax my civil service pension, despite my registration in Spain for tax, I have no power to change that, surely this means that the UK wants me,

That is why I pay tax in UK (Crown Pension) but it is because, as I understand, no government will freely pay tax to another government, which would be the case if that pension was taxed in another country. 

That is say paid at 100% in UK and taxed in Spain, instead of taxed in UK and the remainder paid to the former employee. 

However, as from this year (declaration made in June 2016)  Crown Pensions   will be taken into account when we make our Spanish tax return, and whilst it will not, strictly  be taxed in Spain, we will almost certainly  pay possible a lot more tax in Spain, as we will start paying at a higher tax band.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2015 7:46 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I would love to see a united states of Europe with equality for all

Fortunately the majority of Brtis, and indeed Europeans, don't share your view smiley

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 1      
30 Nov 2015 9:09 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Sanchez1

You may well be right and it simply goes to prove that too many people won’t look outside their own front doors with the “I’m all right Jack” attitude.

Yes they may throw a few quid (euros) at charities via tins, children in need etc. but they simply do not see the scale of the problem.

I wonder how many of the EU citizens, who sadly do not have a pot to p**s, in would vote for a EU central NHS style health care, state pension, welfare, education etc.

They change their minds pretty quick when they fall on hard times and look to the state for help and find the support has dwindled if it exists at all

What legacy of care for others are we leaving our children in the way of health, education, housing etc and what if they fall upon bad times.

Surely our FIRST objective must be to make the EU (and beyond) a better, safer place to live for all with 100% equality in basic needs and opportunities, from state to state, town to town, county to county, village to village anything less is simply greed, selfishness and stupidity all rolled into one.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2015 11:50 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Are you advocating communism Tadd? We all know how that turned out.

I would also question a "few quid" for charity. Countries like the UK give tens of millions in aid.

Like 1      
30 Nov 2015 1:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

GB45 not communism just simple equality and common sense without greed and selfishness for all - especially the basics.smiley

As for charity I did not mean UK plc I was referring to individuals

We really should not need charity within the EU we should look after people who need looking after through centrally controlled and funded welfare state

Like 0      
30 Nov 2015 4:25 PM by brittanyman Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

In reply to mariedav,you seem to have totally missed the point,the government of the day,yes the Tories,if Labour was in power and trying the same thing I would be of the same opinion!When you have a party that lies blatantly to obtain votes how can you defend them?I repeat what I said that if the vote is 'out' every ex-pat living in Spain,Portugal,Italy or France,will suffer in some way or another,and I would not dismiss the threat of freezing our State Pensions,now is the time to act,once they have a mandate its far to late!

Like 0      
30 Nov 2015 8:09 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I've just heard that should the UK vote to leave the EU the following will happen.

1. All state pensions for ex pats will be stopped with immediate effect

2. All ex pats will have 7 days to return to UK or face imprisonment as they will be deemed to be illegal immigrants

3. All exports and imports from the UK to the EU will cease within 7 days.

4. Everyone visiting the EU from the UK (even on Holiday) will need a visa.

5. No euros will be allowed to be brought into the UK

Sound believable? No? Neither are the things that the the people who want to stay in the EU are saying. No-one knows what will happen when the people of the UK decide whether to stay or leave the EU....

Like 1      
30 Nov 2015 11:24 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Nor are people being sufficiently educated as to areas which are in need of reform in the EU, so that they can can make a rational judgement of the alternatives to "coming out". When are we all going to be provided with the essential  detail and realities of how this will truly affect each and everyone of us, no matter what their circumstance?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving car in Spain with UK road tax. - 16 posts
Sold our Spanish Holiday Home.. no regrets - 26 posts
Endesa Smartphone App - 0 posts
Lawyers fees for taxes - 3 posts
Autonomo Question - 6 posts
Going up - or Down? - 35 posts
¿ Any Househunters in Murcia w/c 30th November 2015 ? - 0 posts
Case Won - 3 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 5 posts
IBI on static caravans - 5 posts
Back dated refuse collection taxes from La Linea - 2 posts
Moving to Denia - 7 posts
Electricty use - 20 posts
Moving House with a lot of pot plants - 0 posts
Cleaning Contract UK - 1 posts
Fibre Optic Suppliers in Spain - 5 posts
Goose - 4 posts
Looking for a perfect school! - 9 posts
International Black and White Association - 4 posts
Prescriptions posted from overseas or made in Seville - 1 posts
occupation licence - 21 posts
looking for work in the murcia area - 6 posts
Paris - 39 posts
looking to buy exercise equiptment - 0 posts
ELS clients files - how can anyone access their files now the firm has closed?? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x