Any help and advice appreciated to help us move to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2015 4:44 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No, that is for the UK!

No Cgt payable in UK if your main residence etc, etc, ,Different in Spain

Look at Blevins Franks site for example

Maria has just been on the forum replying to another thread- Maria please clarify!

Like 2      
27 Mar 2015 5:22 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

• The property in question was used primarily as your main home and not as a way of securing any profits.
  • This property was your main home for the time you owned it (excluding the past three years).
  • It was used by you and your family and no more than one lodger throughout the period of ownership.
  • The total area of land that comes with the house does not exceed a total of 5,000 square metres (this is about the size of a standard football pitch) and includes the part of land on which the house is actually built.
  • If you are married or in a civil partnership and not separated you are only entitled to have one residence between the two of you.

If you are able to satisfy all of these criteria, you will not be eligible to pay capital gains tax on any property sale. However, you must make sure that you complete the relevant sale within three years of vacating the property. Furthermore, you are not required to prove yourself as a non-resident to qualify for this exemption in liability.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobaol

The bit I blacked out above seems to me to say that if you bought a house in Spain, say this year, and were now a full time resident, and you sold your UK house anytime in the last 3 years you might still come into Spains capital tax bracket because they dont count the last 3 years as your main home.

I have no doubt I am reading  and or understanding this wrong..Am I ? 

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 5:37 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

"If anyone tells you that the 'real Spain' lies as far away from the coast as you can get, you are probably talking to someone with a budget that precludes coastal areas."

I live in La Vera, Extremadura. We only know of a handful of English speakers within 50 km - not necessarily Brits. All of them paid over €300k for their properties, some over a million - and what is interesting is that they haven't dropped much in value over the last 7 years because of a constant supply of buyers from Madrid. I have 3 ha, and cost of road, borehole and electricity connection alone would have paid for a townhouse on the CDS. But it's "the real Spain". I drove around Camposol a year or so ago. It's great that people are happy there but what can I say without giving offence? Not for me, and that goes for all the Costas.

Like 1      
27 Mar 2015 5:38 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Baz - the question is:

If you sell your house in the UK in the same year as when you move to Spain , do you  pay cgt  on it in Spain ? 

From all the info I've seen the answer is yes, because you are regarded as tax resident for the whole year  in Spain

Some quote only if you have spent 183 days plus in Spain, in that year, others say if you intend to live in Spain then you are considered resident from Jan that year.

Spain doesn't exempt main residences from cgt.

You can reinvest all proceeds in another property in Spain, within 2 years,  and avoid Cgt, or some of them and pay cgt on the remainder.

Best thing is to sell your house, receive your pension lump sums, matured savings plans etc in the year before you move to Spain, to avoid any risk.

Like 1      
27 Mar 2015 5:45 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thanks camposol.

Like 1      
27 Mar 2015 5:51 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

GuyT,

Look where I live in the UK, however I don't class it as the 'real UK', ** EDITED ** I'm happy that you're happy with your lot, I just have the need of my 'coastal fix', I then go back to to my lot, it sounds very similar to yours. 

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/27/2015 6:26:00 PM.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 6:24 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

We have deleted irrelevant posts. Please stay on thread and avoid provoking other members. 

Like 3      
27 Mar 2015 6:37 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Hephaestus. I'm not being argumentative, but if the need of a coastal fix is the deal-breaker, some of the most beautiful cities in Europe are on the Galician coast. Vigo (largest fishing port in Europe, 500k population) and A Coruna are staggering. Not far behind are Pontevedra & Ferrol. Then just along are Gijon & Ovieda. From Vigo, you've got Porto just an hour down the road...and Santiago.

It rains more on the north coast but not enough to be a deal-breaker and the summers have been drying for the last 20 years. The climate is similar to Portland, Seattle & Vancouver. I think most Brits steer clear because they won't find any Brit ghettos there. If the cap fits....

Like 1      
27 Mar 2015 7:14 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Many thanks GuyT, I never thought you to be argumentative, we have spent time in Palafrugell and liked it very much. We just want to be as close to the sea as possible, with a long natural beach to take our walks on, we only eat/drink in cafe/bars that are on the beach, or in the ground floor apartment with a garden and 100m2 away sea views. I have health problems that I won't bore anyone with, but my hill climbing days are well and truly over, where anyone wants to live is their business and nothing to do with me or anyone else, they have obviously given it some serious thought before making their decision. 

Like 1      
28 Mar 2015 10:09 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

Hi There, We live in Spain for 5 Months of the Year and in Ireland for 7 Months,we are doing this for 14 Year's, in our opinion that is the best way to do it...... No 1. Buy a key ready property, No 2. Buy a new Car NOT secondhand,  No 3. Join some club otherwise you will be bored after a while. No 4. the cost..... to run our 2 Bed Apartment apartment cost about €1700 a Year there are also hidden taxes that you may not know about, No 5. We miss our family and grand children a lot while we are in Spain, and No. 6  Buy in Torrevieja in the Costa Blanca one of the healtiest place in the world to live with the salt lakes near buy.......hope this helps you decide. We love Spain but also love Home.

Like 2      
28 Mar 2015 3:18 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Hi ob123,

What do you do with the car when you return to the Republic? I ask because a mate used to leave his in an outdoor storage pen close to Alicante airport, it was always covered in baked on sand when he picked it up.  

Like 0      
28 Mar 2015 9:49 PM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

We have an underground garage in the Complex the is always nice and cool and ready for our next visit, just something you might like to know there is a guy we know he has 4 Buses he will pick you up at your home in Spain and take you to Alicante or Murcia Airport for €10.00 per person one way a great service if you want to know his contact e-mail and number I will gladly give it to you, he is an Irish man and his buisness is going great, he covers all Flights,

Like 0      
28 Mar 2015 11:15 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Is it a legal, licensed business?

Like 0      
29 Mar 2015 3:21 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

I would think so ......

Like 0      
29 Mar 2015 2:58 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Best to check.

It is incredibly difficult to gat a licence for a taxi service, and the the costs of this business are very high, especially insurance. Also any one who isn't Spanish has a hard job to get a licence.

If someone uses an illegal business apparently they are as guilty as the business owner, who can be fined and lose his vehicle.

Alicante uses cameras to check  whether the same vehicles are continually using the airport

We defiinitely need a decent legal service to the airports from Camposol, as the journey can cost more than the flight 

Like 0      
29 Mar 2015 3:11 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

If anything not licenced continually turned up at a Spanish airport the CCTV would have them dead to rights, it's bad enough picking up/dropping off family and friends legitimately, but worth the inconvenience if it keeps the cowboys out. Just a thought, a bus would be classed as a taxi service, don't they have to display a current photo licence? 

Like 0      
29 Mar 2015 3:33 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

There are a number of companies that offer yearly parking, unlimited pick ups

Some cover 2 airports and some have a meet and gret servcie and yoru car is rinsed

Prices about 300€ per year

I have a couple of friends in the village who work for 2 different companies - if anyone wants to know the names them PM me

Illegal taxis are too much of a risk but always the individuals choice

Like 0      
30 Mar 2015 8:19 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I don't know about keeping cowboys out of the taxi industry, but surely we should all welcome the rise of UberPop in Europe. Although it has been a difficult process. It has revolutionised getting a cab in London. While the Spanish are typically backward and in thrall to vested interests, sooner ot later the taxi industry will be deregulated, as elsewhere. Then everybody will have the option of cheaper fares.

Like 1      
30 Mar 2015 8:59 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

It's very easy to cut regulated fares by using an unlicensed and not correctly insured vehicle, and not maintaining it correclly or declaring income derived from it. However I'm all for a cheaper alternative, €55.00 for a taxi from Malaga airport to Calahonda is daylight robbery, that's why we hire a car at €65.00 p/w plus fuel used. It costs circa €8.00 for two to take the train to Fuengirola and then the bus to Calahonda, but we have never trusted this method for the return journey.  

Like 0      
30 Mar 2015 2:20 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The Spanish government has been order by the EU to deregulate the Taxi industry to create more competition like every other EU country has done apart from Greas that the Mafi run maybe Spanish Taxis are also run by the Mafi 😈

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

trampolin hills - 1 posts
Voting in Andalucia today - 3 posts
Hi, New Here, Looking to Move to Alicante in 5 weeks - 4 posts
Honest tradesmen in Campello /Alicante area - 0 posts
Documents required by Estate Agents from overseas buyers - 10 posts
MAG254 IPTV box with WiFi - 2 posts
want to buy an apartment in Malaga capital - please advice - 3 posts
Moving to Spain pending the Brexit! - 8 posts
Inspection hamber on bathroom floor - 2 posts
Car regs for Spain - 5 posts
anyone know a free proxy for iplayer itv player that seems safe and OK - 5 posts
is there any "Real Ale" on te costa del sol? - 2 posts
Links - 1 posts
Job wanted_Sales, Administrative Manager or English-Russian interpreter - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees Abuse - 2 posts
Creating "Power of Attorney" in UK that will work in Spain - 2 posts
Documentation translation - 0 posts
public transport combined weekly bus/train ticket - 2 posts
Suggestions for Mortgage company for additional surveys - 1 posts
Modelo 720 illegal - 17 posts
Hi from not so bonny Scotland! - 4 posts
Santa Pola - 3 posts
eye on spain property site - 2 posts
Read this in A newspaper - 2 posts
Transferring a UK car onto Spanish plates - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 51

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x