Spanish Mortgage Shortfall - Chasing Debt In UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jun 2014 12:35 PM by gonehome Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

HI There, am new to this and would really appreciate some help.

I lived in Spain for 11 years, in 2006, we bought a big house with a big mortgage, times were good, had earned good money from my previous property and was earning a good income.  We purchased a house for 750k, and took a mortgage of 400k, so put down 350k deposit. Times changed, things wet very wrong, very quickly, income stopped pretty much overnight and could not find work to support my family or pay the rent.  In 2010 we took the decision to rent the house out and move back to the UK.  We rented the house out, although the rent couldnt cover the mortgage, I supplemented for a bit but couldnt cope.  I spoke to the bank who were not prepared to do anything.  It all got too much and I stopped paying the mortgage, the tennants then moved out.  All communication with the bank broke down and the have last year repossessed the property.  I have resigned myself to the fact I have lost the 350K euro deposit we put down, but now understand that I can be persued for any shortfall created in the repossession due to high costs,penial interest rates and banks taking what they can for the property and then chase the debtor for the rest.

At present I have no cash or assets in the UK, however, this will change at some point due to inheritance and the fact I now have a decent job.

Really, I need people view on this situation, if anyone has had a similar situation and how they have dealt with it.

I have come to terms with the fact I have lost my home and the 350k we invested into it, what I now need to do is safe guard my families future so we have no more misery from this situation.

All help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Jun 2014 3:42 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Sounds very sad and you seem to have lost a lot which is such shame.

When the bank sell your house and if there is any oustanding debt then you will still be liable to pay that debt and the banks have the right to pursue you for whatever you owe them.

I do not think they can prusue your children as debts die with you etc maybe you should ensure any inheritance is paid direct to your children

Like 0      
07 Jun 2014 3:50 PM by gonehome Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks, do you know if the property has already been repossessed, would that create the shortfall, or is that esthablished once they sell on?

Like 0      
07 Jun 2014 4:17 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

gonehome

Thanks, do you know if the property has already been repossessed,

I am confused!!

I would not know if the property has been reposessesd or not - maybe this is a typo!

Anyway when a bank repossesses a property it is with the intention of recovering any outstanding loan they made to the buyer.

They cannot make a profit.

So if the property had a mortgage of say 400K€ and they sold it for 450K€ then you would receive the 50K€ balance less any reasonble expenses incurred by the bank (sales tax, solicitors fees, admin fees, interest , estate agent fees etc.)

However if they sell the house for 350K€ then you would still owe the bank 50K€ plus reasonable expenses incurred by the bank and they can pursue you for that outstanding debt

Like 0      
07 Jun 2014 4:30 PM by gonehome Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

HI, It has been repossessed, and there will be a massive shortfall the property prices in the area have dropped massivly, currently circ 300K, they would take it @ 60% of auctionable value, so I will be liable for a huge amount of money which I have no procpect of paying.  I am contimplating bankruptcy here in UK to deal with the shortfall.

Has anyone else had experience of this.

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Jun 2014 5:32 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. DON'T go bankrupt in the UK unless you really have to as I don't think that it will solve the situation in Spain. Get some legal advice. It will cost but may well be worth it.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful but others might. Good luck.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2014 9:36 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

As you have returned to the UK  suggest you visit your local CItizans Advice Bureau for FREE advice . They will tell you all the legal options available to you.

Like 0      
08 Jun 2014 1:40 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Gonehome: Where did you get the auction value from?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Jun 2014 3:34 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I am not getting this or the maths

House price 750K deposit 350K mortgage of 400K and assume you have been paying mortgage for 11 years the balance must be lower than 400K loan - on average I would guess using a 4% interest rate would leave approx 250K (many online mortgae calculators to use e.g. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-rate-calculator#result)

Price dropped to circa 350K and yes they may take 60% which is circa 210K so

A circa 40K shortfall plus expenses incurred

Have you got an outstanding balance on the mortgage?

Don't think going bankrupt in Uk would help

Like 0      
10 Jun 2014 3:45 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

mortgage could have been interest only Tadd ...... if it was only interest charges being serviced the debt would not have reduced - further if there have been short or missed payments the mortgage deed allows for pretty swingeing penalty interest rates to be added and capitalised into the loan and these are ongoing monthly and compounding ...... debt can run up very quickly

as everyone is suggesting you need to take expert legal advice and establish the specifics with the bank - it's within your legal rights

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cleaner Required Near Campoamore - 0 posts
Lost UK TV channels - 5 posts
Driving back to UK with a dog - 5 posts
Residual S1 form changes from 1st of July - 0 posts
New UK-Spain double taxation agreement - 13 posts
New Software for Mag 250 box ?? - 3 posts
A Good Reliable & Trustworthy Cleaner with References Required! - 0 posts
Healthcare Contributions For The Disabled - 11 posts
russians in spain - 4 posts
Best app to mobile calls - 4 posts
Thinking of buying a property in Spain? - Avoiding the pitfalls - 9 posts
Need your help and advice - 17 posts
Spanish Will - 36 posts
Double oven cookers Orihuela Costa - 1 posts
Does Spain need a Royal Family? - 16 posts
Things to check when completing on a purchase. - 19 posts
Renewing Spanish driving licence - 2 posts
Toll road cost from Caen - Murcia - 8 posts
Booking rail trips in Spain. - 13 posts
Cruise Ship Vacancies - 0 posts
speeding fine in spain - 2 posts
Airport etc near MURCIA. - 2 posts
Is this electricity charge reasonable? - 9 posts
New Spain Traffic Law 2014 - 0 posts
Pensioners Tax Threshold - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x