Spanish Will

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jun 2014 5:56 PM by elraso Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Can anyone clarify the situation regarding  Spanish Wills.   Both me and my wife made a Spanish Will in 2006. We have now been told that we need to make new Spanish Wills by August2015. We asked as there is only one line extra on each will if was possible to do this by inserting  a codicil on each will, we were told that this was not possible and new wills would have to be made .175 Euros each, which seems  alot for one extra line on each original will,the Question i ask is, Has anyone just had the change to the original by Codicil or do you have to have new wills made.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2014 8:46 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

I asked the same thing and was told it could be done. Cost about € 30 to be notorised.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 2:13 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I have not heard this before. We have also done this a few years ago. But would not be able to change this

now as my husband is in the Priory hospital with Alzheimers so what happens now?

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 8:01 AM by elraso Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

The reason for new wills having to be made by 2015 August ,is there is achange in the law,in that you have to follow if Resident the Spanish way ,in that what you leave is divided between your close family ,despite your instructions to leave to whoever you name,that is the reason for the new wills and the extra wording to state that you want it to follow the principles of UK  wills,i have no legal knowledge and this is how a legal person explained it to us, If anyone can confirm that this is the reason or have been told one ,i would appreciate their comments

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 8:21 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Eiriso, that is correct. 

Unlike Spanish law Brits can leave their money to whoever they want. So the words "subject to British Law" or words to that effect , have to be included in our wills.

i asked , and was told it could be added, as in a codicil,  but this is Spain and who knows what the notary will permit when I actually go to do it.

Pat perhaps getting POW for your husband will solve this problem.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 8:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Elraso,

A Spanish citizen is obliged to leave his/her assets as prescribed by Spanish law, However, unless it has changed and I do not believe it has (I am sure someone will post if I am wrong) a non-Spaniard resident or otherwise,  can leave their assets in any way they wish.  I understand though that a Will can be contested, and in such a case it might be that Spanish law would then be applied.

The Will should state in it that it relates to your assets in Spain only.  It can cover all assets but a separate one for each country can make thing easier.

As for the cost.    Be aware that all Wills (and other legal paperwork) must ne notarised by a Notary.  (There are provisions for a holographic Will but I would not advise that in Spain).  Even if you employ a solicitor you still must go before a notary, so unless you need complicated advice, what’s the point?   For myself and family we have always gone straight to the notary who has drawn up the Will, amended by us where necessary,  as part of the service.

That said,  I am biased, as I have never employed a solicitor in Spain for anything.  As a group have little confidence in lawyers

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/06/2014.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 8:48 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Apparently the law is changing John.

From July 2015 unless the words I previously mentioned, or similar, are included in our wills ,Brits legally resident in Spain , will be deemed to accept Spanish Inheritance Law.

Something for you to check out today.......

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 9:19 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks Floella,  I do seem to remember that from the first Will I made in Spain in 1983, it did say that it applied only to assets in Spain. So maybe most do not need to worry.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 9:43 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

According to Spanish law, as told to me, a surviving partner is only permitted half of the half share. Rest to be distributed to family.   Actually think similar to English law but rarely contested unless survivor is not the birth parent.

Most people I know have bequeathed their whole half share to partner upon whose demise family are then mentioned. 

So think iwills may need amending.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 11:06 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 841. European inheritances 
18 October 2012 @ 14:22 

Here a great link with answers and questions on European Inheritance:

http://www.notaries-of-europe.eu/files/press-releases/Successions-Q&A-07-06-12-en.pdf

1. Will the new Community rules facilitate pan-European inheritance? What are the most important 
innovations? 

The new rules introduce a number of changes which represent some significant steps forward as far as European 
citizens’ rights are concerned:

- Harmonisation of the rules governing conflicting laws which define the law applicable to inheritance at European 
level. Henceforth it will be principally the law governing the final residence of the deceased which will be applicable. 
This harmonisation will facilitate the planning of inheritance for EU citizens or for those from third countries.

- Possibility for the deceased to choose a legal system other than that of his/her habitual residence to settle his/her 
legacy. While still living, he/she may choose the law of his/her nationality via the will, or, if appropriate, via a 
succession agreement.

- The single nature of the law applicable to the inheritance. The applicable legal system will govern the entirety of the 
inheritance. Thus no distinction will be made between real estate and movable goods, as used to be the case in 
certain States such as France.

- Creation of a European Succession Certificate which will streamline the settlement of cross-border inheritance, 
particularly on matters of proof effects and legitimisation. For example, it will constitute the proof of the status of heir 
in all Member States.

- In the absence of the requirement of legalisation or a similar requirement, acceptance and  circulation  of 
authenticated deeds within the European Union are facilitated by the rules.

2. As a European citizen resident in an EU country other than that of my nationality, I should like at this 
time to draw up a will and select the law which applies to my legacy. Is this possible? 

The rules will become applicable  in the summer of 2015. However, thanks to the temporary provisions of the rules, 
European citizens will be able to select the legal system applicable to their success as soon as it comes into force 
(summer of 2012).

In order to ensure that their choice is clear, they may, if appropriate, call on the services of a Notary. As a general rule,
the www.successions-europe.eu website provides an overview of the right of inheritance in the Member States in 23 
languages. This is an ideal tool for identifying basics answers to questions before calling in the Notary.

3. May I select the inheritance law of one specific State even if I do not reside there?

Yes, but this choice is exclusively limited by the rules deriving from the laws of the nationality of the deceased.

4. What happens where there are no immediate heirs? Is an international search for heirs undertaken?
The rules propose no solution to the matter of a search for heirs. The law of the court seised continues to govern the 
matter of discovering whether, and where appropriate, in what way the relevant authority should proceed to search for 
heirs.

5. Which laws are applicable outside of Europe?

Outside of Europe, the question of the law applicable to inheritance continues to be settled differently. In some countries 
priority is given to the law of nationality, while in others, to the law of last residence. Others still make a distinction 
between real estate (the law of the location of the real estate) and movable goods (the law of the habitual residence). In 
the absence of legislative authority, European regulations are, of course, in no position to settle these differences in 
other countries.

Within the European Union, however, these new  rules on conflict of laws are universally applicable, including for 
residents of non-EU Member States. Hence the legacy of a Chinese living in Poland will henceforth be governed by 
Polish law, notwithstanding the right of the deceased when living to select Chinese law. It should be noted that Denmark, 
the UK and Ireland have not adopted the rules.

6. On tax questions, do the new rules change anything?

The rules do not apply to fiscal matters and have no effect on death duties to be paid by heirs.

We will be happy to assist you with these matters too! If you want, you can contact us at web@costaluzlawyers.es

Kindest,

María 

Playa de Valdevaqueros, Isla de Tarifa y el Puerto de Tanger al fondo

"Playa de Valdevaqueros, Isla de Tarifa y el Puerto de Tanger al fondo", Tarifa, Cadiz, Southern Spain, by Chodaboy, at flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 12:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Floella  Actually think similar to English law but rarely contested unless survivor is not the birth parent.

Under English law one can do whatever they wish,  all to cat home maybe.  However, as in Spain, the Will can be contested in court (more money for lawyers)

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 1:26 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Over the last few years there has been a lot about this in the press. Basically,from August 15 th,  unless you state which country's law applies to your will, your assets will be disposed of according to your country of residence ie. Spain, which would cause a problem to most ex pats who tend to leave all their assets to their spouse, in a " mirror" will. I was told Spain does not do codecils which means shelling out for a new will which has exactly the same contents, but will need a new clause stating which country's laws will apply to your will.perhaps Maria will comment on ? Codecils.

Britain and Denmark have not yet signed up to this. 

Talking of wills etc, Johnzx, I never received a reply to my email to your gestor, asking for clarification that the resident  spouse of someone resident in Spain must pay  IHT on all worldwide assets of the deceased outside Spain. Your gestor seemed to have a different view to all the other legal bodies. Have you heard any more on this?

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 1:31 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/civil/family-matters/successions/index_en.htm

450 000 cross-border successions occur in the EU every year representing a considerable value, estimated to be worth more than EUR 120 billion.

New EU rules to ease cross-border successions

Successions with cross-border elements are usually characterised by their high complexity. Succession law varies considerably from one EU country to another (find more information on national legislation onwww.successions-europe.eu ). A major step to facilitate cross border successions was the adoption on 4 July 2012 of new European Union rules, which will make it easier for European citizens to handle the legal side of an international will or succession. Following a transition period, most of these new rules are applicable to successions as of 17 August 2015.

The need for legal certainty and easier proceedings

These new uniform rules of Regulation (EU) No 650/2012 on jurisdictionpdf, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and acceptance and enforcement of authentic instruments in matters of succession and on the creation of a European Certificate of Succession) will make sure that:

• a given succession is treated coherently, under a single law and by one single authority;
  • citizens are able to choose whether the law applicable to their succession should be that of their habitual residence or that of their nationality;
  • parallel proceedings and conflicting judicial decisions are avoided;
  • mutual recognition of decisions relating to succession in the EU is ensured.

However, the initiative in no way alters the substantive national rules on successions.

The following issues continue to be governed by national rules:

• who is to inherit or the share of assets going to children or spouses;
  • property law and family law in an EU country;
  • the tax arrangements for assets making up a succession.

The Regulation also creates a European Certificate of Succession to enable a person to prove his or her status and rights as heir or his or her powers as administrator of the estate or executor of the will without further formalities.

This represents a considerable improvement compared to the situation in the past where people sometimes have great difficulty exercising their rights. The results are faster, easier and cheaper procedures.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 1:36 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Camposol:

The " Codicil" legal institution just exist in Catalan Law and not in the way you understand it.

If you want to change your will, you need to make a new testament.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 1:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo  Talking of wills etc, Johnzx,

I have replied in the original thread so as not take this one off at a tangent.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 1:43 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Florals- it appears then that you have to make a new will in order to accommodate this new clause; as they say- nice little earner.

Maria -I do not want to change the content of my will in any way, but it appears I have to make new one, What a pain!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 2:10 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Camposol:

If you need to select the legal system which will apply to your sucession, you do not need to wait till 2015, you can do it now.

Cheers

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 2:19 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Camposol:

You do not need to wait till next year, you can do a new will under these regulations now if you want ;)

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 04/06/2014.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 2:20 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Hopefully I won't have to do it at all if I manage to sell my house before then. I do not want to go to that expense now, then sell, wasting my money.; as I said it's a nice little earner. Perhaps if the will is exactly the same apart from adding that clause, the solicitor might charge less, after all, the rest of the will is just reproduced, a lot less work. . 

Shan 't hold my breath!

Like 0      
04 Jun 2014 2:25 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would not even use a solicitor for that really. Just go to the Notary with the last one and the clause you want him to insert

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Double oven cookers Orihuela Costa - 1 posts
Does Spain need a Royal Family? - 16 posts
Things to check when completing on a purchase. - 19 posts
Renewing Spanish driving licence - 2 posts
Toll road cost from Caen - Murcia - 8 posts
Booking rail trips in Spain. - 13 posts
Cruise Ship Vacancies - 0 posts
speeding fine in spain - 2 posts
Airport etc near MURCIA. - 2 posts
Is this electricity charge reasonable? - 9 posts
New Spain Traffic Law 2014 - 0 posts
Pensioners Tax Threshold - 14 posts
What rights do foreigners have in Spain ? - 1 posts
HOW NOT TO 'AVOID' IHT - 0 posts
Another question - 3 posts
making an urbanization legal - 6 posts
Puppies in Orihuela Costa - 7 posts
Highly recommended areas to live in - 21 posts
Benefits - 7 posts
My experience in Spain in the year 2000 - 1 posts
Double taxation for Gibraltar workers living in Spain? - 0 posts
Can anyone recommend a villa or Cortijo? - 0 posts
Native English teacher required - 0 posts
Residents, Income tax on property in and outside Spain - 26 posts
Urgent Sale 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Pure - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x