Healthcare Contributions For The Disabled

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jun 2014 12:55 AM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Hi...Can any Spain Wise EOS members answer this question regarding taxes for the disabled please.

Regarding the "new" disabled person tax rate set at E60 per month...If someone arrived in Spain but did not want to transfer their UK disability benefit with them (I don't want to be traced by anyone...but not because I've done anything wrong) and had only just arrived, how would they qualify for the tax rate set for the disabled?  

I will not be working in proper employment (due to health) but may be able to take up the offer of a live in position with a small wage that is available. Thus needing to pay the E60 per month...which I believe would then give me access to state healthcare, as I do not qualify for private health insurance. Is this correct?

I could not afford to pay the usual E250, it would be impossible...but don't see how I would qualify or claim for the E60 payment, without transferring my disability claim.

Any answers?

Thanks in advance.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 2:40 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

• When you say you don't want to be traced by anyone, I assume you have informed the DWP of  your move, or intended move to  Spain? If anyone tried to trace you through them, DWP would not give details out.
  • Is all your disability benefit exportable to Spain? Things are changing in regard to this.
  • you do not give details of your age, which will make a difference.
  • hope  someone will be able to answer your query .I did not even know there was a disabled person tax- are you referring to the the monthly healthcare contributions?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 5:04 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Hi Camposol

Sorry for confusing you, using the word TAX my mistake. Yes I meant healthcare contributions. I couldn't find the healthcare contributions thread, so mistakenly I have placed it in taxes.

I'm 44, so under pension age...and cannot get private insurance due to terminal illness...hence needing to pay into the system, via the set rate disability healthcare contribution for healthcare, while I'm in Spain (9months to a year).

Yes, my disability benefit is exportable (lifetime award due to permanent disabilities and terminal illness) but I do not wish to export it and want to end my claim completely prior to moving. I want no ties to my home country whatsover, so don't need to inform DWP of my move (just end my claim) and they will have no reason to contact me in the future for anything. I have had no healthcare in the UK for years, so do not need to inform them of my move either.

I do not own any property in the UK or anywhere else...so just need to "dropkick" the keys back to my rented housing association property when I walk out the door and don't need to inform them of my move either (I'm exempt from the usual one months notice, due to the grounds I'm leaving on). I just have to end my housing benefit claim. I will just be leaving a caravan in UK storage as a base...should I ever need to return.

So it really is a nice, simple move as long as I can arrange to pay what I owe to the Spanish Healthcare System.

Thanks for any advice...it is much appreciated.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 5:23 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Not sure about the disabled bit but the Valencia Region has a scheme which charges €60 a month to get access to the Spanish NHS.

This is for those who are resident in Spain but not covered by means of the S1 (which those over pensionable age or registered disabled use) or as a beneficiary under it or does not have health insurance (this can be refused for pre-existing conditions).

However, you have to prove you have been a resident in Spain for a period of not less than one year. 

The full system is explained here. If you use Google it will translate it for you.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 5:39 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

How will you cope health wise if you have to be resident for a year, before you make contributions, bearing in mind you can't get private health cover?

Also Spain is a lonely place if you or a partner is seriously ill; I speak from experience.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 7:01 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Thanks guys.

Will give that link a look Bobaol. That is my problem I think. Legally I am entitled to use the S1 route which would cover my first year (and would be what I would be using if I transferred my DLA) but DON'T WANT TO. As that is then what links me back to the UK...who I want to cut all ties with.

If I have to be resident and contributing for just one year before healthcare can be accessed Camposol...I will consider that a blessing. I have had ZERO healthcare in the UK for 6 yrs (NHS hospitals) and 4yrs (NHS doctors). I am not your usual kettle of fish/arrival...I'm a UK abused whistleblower blocked from anything other than the basic benefits to survive...including vital life sustaining medication and pain relief. IE No healthcare. No legal access. No reporting crimes against me. ETC.

Thanks for your responses both...they have helped me see what I really need to ask. Not very good at this am I!

Will my UK disability award letters and building society statements showing disability payments from 2006/2014 be enough to prove my disability entitlement on arrival, so I can contribute the monthly fee of E60 instead of the higher rate the non disabled pay?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 7:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As a tax resident from when you arrive (you clearly imply that you will be moving here to make your home here)  thus the 183 day rule / 3 months pernanemtly, etc. do not apply, then I do not see how you will be able to do otherwise than inform the Spanish authorities that you have  an income from UK.  They in turn will need confirmation from UK a bank statement etc. will not be sufficient.  So I think you will be unable to be ‘anonymous’ as you say you want.

But good luck to you

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 9:30 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

In addition to what Johnz says, you are in a chicken and egg situation. To qualify for the ' Convenio especiale' medical scheme, which is what you are talking about, you qualify 12 months after  registering on the 'Registro de Ciudadnos De L'Union'. You can only register if you can demonstrate health cover during that period. As you won't be able to obtain private care, I would say that an S1 form is your only option.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 9:44 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Hi John

"then I do not see how you will be able to do otherwise than inform the Spanish authorities that you have an income from UK"

That is precisely what I won't have. I will have NO income from the UK. I will be cancelling my DLA instead of exporting it to Spain with me, as I am legally entitled to do. My income will be a small one in Spain under the tax threshold...in return for living in and house sitting/pet sitting/doing mail etc.

As a disabled person who would be legally registered in Spain and living under Spanish rules and law with NO connection to the UK and NO income from the UK, I would be legally entitled to pay E60 per month as contributions in Spain, not the usual E250. All legal and above board. Nothing shady about it.

In fact, quite the opposite...I'm giving back money that legally I could bring with me.

I do not want to be "anonymous" in Spain. Not sure where that oddity came from! 

What I need to know is...What do I need to provide the Spanish state on arrival as proof of disability to qualify paying the E60 rate instead of E250 rate?

Thanks for trying to help though.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 9:58 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Thank you Kathyslad...so the S1 route is the only way. Might have to rethink the offer. No point moving if I keep contact with the UK. I wanted to go spanish all the way :)

Much appreciated.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 10:09 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, I've searched around and can find nothing on paying 60 euros if you are disabled. All I can find is that you transfer your disability documents from UK or the country you are coming from. This would be using the old E121 or S1 system as your home country (in this case UK) is responsible for paying the health authorities in Spain.

The only reference to a €60 monthly charge is the one I outlined which is only available once you have been a resident for a year and submitted a tax return (it doesn't matter if this is zero, the initial one must be completed to get you into the system) 

I have been with several people here to get their healthcards and, in each case, they have been asked for the completed S1 forms from UK.

I hope you can find such a system and, if there is one, let us know so we will know if anyone else asks. 

Best of luck.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 05/06/2014.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2014 10:25 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Thanks Bobaol and All...your help was much appreciated.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

russians in spain - 4 posts
Best app to mobile calls - 4 posts
Thinking of buying a property in Spain? - Avoiding the pitfalls - 9 posts
Need your help and advice - 17 posts
Spanish Will - 36 posts
Double oven cookers Orihuela Costa - 1 posts
Does Spain need a Royal Family? - 16 posts
Things to check when completing on a purchase. - 19 posts
Renewing Spanish driving licence - 2 posts
Toll road cost from Caen - Murcia - 8 posts
Booking rail trips in Spain. - 13 posts
Cruise Ship Vacancies - 0 posts
speeding fine in spain - 2 posts
Airport etc near MURCIA. - 2 posts
Is this electricity charge reasonable? - 9 posts
New Spain Traffic Law 2014 - 0 posts
Pensioners Tax Threshold - 14 posts
What rights do foreigners have in Spain ? - 1 posts
HOW NOT TO 'AVOID' IHT - 0 posts
Another question - 3 posts
making an urbanization legal - 6 posts
Puppies in Orihuela Costa - 7 posts
Highly recommended areas to live in - 21 posts
Benefits - 7 posts
My experience in Spain in the year 2000 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x