Is Cannabis Legal in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2014 1:09 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Can anyone settle this bar-room ‘discussion’?  The issue of Cannabis in Spain was raised and it was claimed by one party that it was legal grow your own plants for home use as it was decriminalized in Spain

The other side doubted if this was the case as it is an illegal drug throughout Europe and recent arrests had been made for possession of the stuff. It was pointed out that there are cannabis co-operatives that openly cultivate and use it – so who is right?

I hasten to add that Woodbug doesn’t smoke and his old Granny certainly wouldn’t even consider introducing a new ingredient into her famous sponge cake mix!

Perhaps JohnX may be able to qualify the position with the help of his colleagues.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 3:05 PM by fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

Legality of cannabis by country

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 3:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I do not know the law,  but I have been personally aware, on a few occasions,  that the police have taken no action against people smoking cannabis in public, but have tried to get each of them to disclose who the suppler was, so they could prosecute that person.

From:-    http://gospain.about.com/od/drugsinspain/f/is_cannabis_legal_in_spain.htm

Current Legal Situation of Cannabis in Spain

The legal situation of cannabis in Spain is a little more complicated than in other countries.

• It is illegal in Spain to traffic cannabis or to smoke it in public places.
  • It is legal in Spain to cultivate or smoke cannabis for your own personal use (as long as it is in the privacy of your own home).

Note that, as anywhere in the world, the interpretation of 'personal use' is open to debate. If a policeman takes a disliking to a group of noisy foreigners, he might use any drugs found on you as an excuse to cause you problems. I would therefore advise against consuming cannabis in Spain.

Having said that, cannabis is often sold openly in the streets, especially in Barcelona and Granada. I have also seen people smoking cannabis outside bars without anyone raising an eyebrow.

Note that Spain's cannabis laws are more relaxed than those of Portugal, France and Gibraltar, so do not try to carry the drug across the border.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/02/2014.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 4:51 PM by GnG Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I do know Cannabis is league in Marinaleda,Sevilla. 3 plants per person is permitted to be grown.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 5:28 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Cannabis plants are openly sold in local markets here so presumably legal if for personal use.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 6:15 PM by GnG Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

People also smoke it in local tavernas

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

feeling frustrated - 1 posts
Astra 2E the transponder frequency change over begins - 47 posts
valtocado mijas, cartama near villafranco - 1 posts
Cancel Utilities - 14 posts
Short Term 2 to 3 month rental - 5 posts
Air Boxs. - 0 posts
Fiat Qubo 2011 for sale. - 0 posts
Looking for a good trustworthy legal firm in Los Alcazares in Murcia - 9 posts
Golf - 1 posts
Utilities terazzas de la torre - 3 posts
Amazing place to visit.....near Torrevieja - 2 posts
camper van? - 18 posts
Thinking of moving over. - 4 posts
FAMILY (2 ADULTS 1 CHILD) SEEK PLACE TO RENT ON COSTA DORADA, LONG TERM - 0 posts
Hola amigos! - 10 posts
Caring and Responsible Dog-Walker - 0 posts
Form 720 - 21 posts
Frightening unemployment data! - 0 posts
Spain formally exits bank bailout program in better shape - 0 posts
transferring money from Spain to France - 16 posts
Introducing the SHOWMAN - 0 posts
Update please Cost of a weekly shop - 22 posts
Spanish compliant bonds - 5 posts
Crisis closes 50,000 establishments in 4 years - 0 posts
Spanish Property Prices to See Further Decline in 2014, Says Moody’s - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x