Cancel Utilities

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Feb 2014 8:08 PM by Pat26 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to cancel my Electric, Gas and Water bills by just stopping the direct debits from my online banking.  I have not used or been to my property in nearly two years simply because I cannot afford to.  I am unemployed and really struggling to keep meeting my spanish mortgage each month along with the utility bills that keep coming.  The electric bill is always around €50 every two months, water is around €70 a quarter even though nobody is there.  Just think these are very high for non use and it would give me a little breathing space until I work out my next move.  I would just love to give the keys back to the bank and stop this nightmare.  have enquired about a dation, but I could not afford the high costs involved. I am also thinking of going bankrupt in the UK due to debts.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 8:20 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi Pat. Sorry to hear your dimise.

If you stop the Direct Debits I am sure all that will happen is that the utility companies will just Remove the metres.After a period of time.

Might be better if you talk with them first so outstanding payments can be collected.

Sorry I can't help anymore.

Good Luck

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 8:31 PM by Pat26 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi El alamillo

Thanks for the reply.  I do not have any outstanding payments on my utilities, and all are up todate.  However, the problem is I have never received a bill from any of these utility providers and so do not have any account nos. etc.   I have tried contacting Iberdrola before on setting up online billing.  However, they could not find my details from my name and address and passport details, so therefore told me that they couldn't set me up with online billing.  Strange though they can still debit my account for the electricity.  I have emailed a solicitor for advise on this matter and have been advised they can help me with contacting each provider to disconnect.  The cost being €75 + TAX for each utility I want to cancel.  That's why I thought just canceling the direct debit would be the best option for me, as I am currently going around in circles.  The joys of Spain. 

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 8:50 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi Pat. Not sure this is the best way. But I have seen property owners who have failed to pay there Utility bills on time. The Utility company just turn up before the end of the month and Remove the Metres. Not sure if you would incur any additional charges if this happens... But looks better than to Pay €75 + iva.

What may happen is when and if you come to re-connect. This disconnection charge may be added.

Don't think being bankrupt in uk will have any over riding factor in Spain.

What I can't understand that declairing yourself Bankrupt in UK costs you money that you don't have in the first place.

As I remember I went with my sister some years ago to leicester courts to decleire her bankrupt and I had to pay £375.

I know that the above does not really answer your question. This must be happening to a lot of others.

Good Luck again

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 10:16 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Firstly, the direct debits at your bank will have a reference number on them. You should use these to find out your account numbers.

Secondly, the amount you are paying for non-use seems quite high. Your water will be around €50 a quarter in standing charge and taxes whether you use any water or not. Your electricity, however, should only be around 10 to 12 euro a month, not the €50 you are paying (this will all depend on the amount of power you are contracted for, of course).

Not sure if they remove the meters now. Most areas have been switched to remote meters which they simply turn off. You would, of course, be liable for the reconnection charges some time in the future. When they do turn the utility off, you will get a letter saying they could not levy the charge. This letter will have your account number on it so that's another way of getting hold of it. 

Both companies have an email facility which is a far better way of getting in touch with them. I can't remember what the address is but it is under the contact details on their websites. They reply quite quickly (within a day or 2) and in English if the email was sent in English.

Hope everything goes alright for you. When your personal circumstances change it can be a shock to the system and you could do with something less to worry about.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 10:21 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Have you heard of the "Debt Relief Order" for the UK, very similar to going bankrupt but you don't go to court, so your name dont get put in the newspapers,  and it's a whole lot cheaper as well, like going bankrupt you do have to have no assets in your name, I helped a young girl go through this about 3 years ago. Things might have changed in this time but still worth the look. Think the cost back then was about £90.00.

In effect you are declared, not bankrupt, but having no money to pay any creditors, when this takes effect you get no more demand letters, or bills.

If memory serves me correct we went to the citizens advice bureau,  they did everything,filling in forms, writing to creditors, everything. How this would help your Spanish problems I have no idea, can only think if you have no money here, then you have no money in Spain.

Like 2      
03 Feb 2014 10:25 PM by Pat26 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi El alamillo

Thank you for the feedback.  Appreciate it! 

Pat

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 10:31 PM by Pat26 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you for your advice mariedav.

Yes the Iberdrola bill use to be monthly. but was changed by them to bi-monthly.  It is always around €50.  However, the last bill was €59.  It's robbery when no one is even using the electricity.  So just to get these cancelled would be a great help on my finances.  I will look into my account and get the account nos from the direct debits and cancel these straight away.  Thanks again.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2014 10:33 PM by Pat26 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi baz1946 never heard of the debt relief order.  I will investigate this tomorrow.  Many thanks.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 2:24 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Sorry for your predicament Pat. 59e is about right for 2 month's standing charges with Iberdrola I'm afraid as it has recently increased. This is for the lowest potencia of 5.5kw.(we pay this amount for our holiday home)  It does seem like daylight robbery so the sooner that you can cancel your supply the better. As mariedav points out, they do reply in English and quickly.

Good luck with it all.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 2:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is an extract from my bill.

It's for 2 months (62 days).  I have removed the units consumed.

So It's what I would pay if the property was empty with the power turned off

You will see that my potencia is 4.4

FACTURACION DEL CONSUMO        0  KWH 
Potencia 4,4 KW x 62 x 0.09767 EUR/KW Y DIAS                                                    26,65
Impto. Electricidad 112,29 EUR x 1.05113 x 4,864 % 5,75
ALQUILER DE EQUIPOS ELECTR.                                                                            1,65
Sub Total                                                                                                                  28.30
IVA NORMAL 21 % de 28.30                                                                                      5.94
Total Factura:                                                                                                           34.24

Be aware that if you terminate the contact you may have to pay for a new contract when you want to reconnect. That also might (depending on the age of the property) have to get a safety cert too.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/02/2014.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 3:45 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Hi Pat.

Without useage

Sounds like you are on the same Tariff as myself.

5.75 Kw over 69 days = € 38.75

Services € 3.90

IVA @ 21%

€51.60

Like 0      
06 Feb 2014 11:06 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Hi Pat.. have just sent you a pm.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2014 12:38 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Pat,

Just sent you a PM with a link that may help you.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2014 1:15 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Could I suggest to the Forum owners that the "Like & Dislike" markers be replaced with something such as,  when someone likes the advice given, and they tick the "Like' box their name shows up, same with "Don't like".

I gave some honest truthful advice, which I would add I did for this young person, to Pat about the Debt Relief Order and some mindless moron ticked the dont like box, why? Do you know better? If so why haven't you spoken up to disapprove it, if I was wrong, don't fret.... I will admit to it loud and clear.

Doing what you have done... (Yes I know who it is).... Could put extra unnecessary doubt in Pats mind when all she did was ask for help and advice, which I think is the last thing she need's right now.

It bothers me not one jot how many "Thumbs down" I get, all that means is the downer has read my post, but it's certainly no help for, in this case Pat.

Like 3      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Short Term 2 to 3 month rental - 5 posts
Air Boxs. - 0 posts
Fiat Qubo 2011 for sale. - 0 posts
Looking for a good trustworthy legal firm in Los Alcazares in Murcia - 9 posts
Golf - 1 posts
Utilities terazzas de la torre - 3 posts
Amazing place to visit.....near Torrevieja - 2 posts
camper van? - 18 posts
Thinking of moving over. - 4 posts
FAMILY (2 ADULTS 1 CHILD) SEEK PLACE TO RENT ON COSTA DORADA, LONG TERM - 0 posts
Hola amigos! - 10 posts
Caring and Responsible Dog-Walker - 0 posts
Form 720 - 21 posts
Frightening unemployment data! - 0 posts
Spain formally exits bank bailout program in better shape - 0 posts
transferring money from Spain to France - 16 posts
Introducing the SHOWMAN - 0 posts
Update please Cost of a weekly shop - 22 posts
Spanish compliant bonds - 5 posts
Crisis closes 50,000 establishments in 4 years - 0 posts
Spanish Property Prices to See Further Decline in 2014, Says Moody’s - 0 posts
Gay Bars and Clubs - 2 posts
Looking for a private pyschology tutor at AS2 level - 0 posts
complaint against police - 7 posts
* Legal Property Experts * Can You Buy an Embargoed Property? - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x