Thinking of moving over.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Feb 2014 2:16 PM by Jackie-90 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thinking of moving to spain in the next two years with my children my daughter is currently 4 and my son 18months i wanted to wait til my youngest was old enough to start school so i could work which i believe is 3 right? We have family in or near quasada so wanting to move near them. I wanted to do a qualification here in the meantime that would be useful in spain. I have some questions...
1. What public schools are near that area?
2. What is a good career? I was thinking of doing childcare and maybe becoming a childminder for other english speaking families ( i will try learning To speak spanish)
3. Would a childminder be needed in spain?
4. Do you get any government help in spain like we do here with child benefits ect..?
5. Wheres best and cheap to rent?
Thanks

Like 0      
01 Feb 2014 2:38 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Because you have many questions, you need to search all the relevant forums on Eye on Spain, using the Search facility; you may end up thoroughly confused as there are many varied opinions and  experiences. Best to go to the "Horses mouth" and look at ex pat sites such as Anglo info, spain made simple, UK in Spain; just google "moving to Spain"-you will be overwhelmed, Laws are constantly changing here. advice, even from experts may be conflicting. Also contact DWP and HRMC as your main concerns, apart from making sure you have a  very good bank balance are taxation, especially inheritance tax, which is very different in Spain, and health, as well as schools (even public schools  can be expensive) If you are thinking of getting work here, or money is an issue,  you may have  to think again!

Like 1      
01 Feb 2014 3:03 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Unemployment is over 27% and work for ex-pats is for the most part low paid (for all, not just expats to be honest) without contracts.

Not sure what the demand would be for a childminder but given the dire employment opportunities, I would imagine the number of working parents is low so need for a childminder is likely to also be low.

I know the Quesada area very well (my place is in Rojales) and know that work rouond there is hard to find.

Good luck though ,.,.....

This message was last edited by wend691 on 01/02/2014.

Like 1      
01 Feb 2014 8:53 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Jackie-90, Please note the start age for school is 6 yrs old, most schools offer free preschool from3 yrs which is optional but great for the young ones to learn the language

1. What public schools are near that area?

There are a lot of schools in the area and in the main they are all good, you will have to register on the padron, have a residencia and have your children’s vaccinations up to date. A local doctor will check and update / advise (bring the children’s UK medical book with you) you will probably need a SIP card which may be difficult  to get

1. What is a good career? I was thinking of doing childcare and maybe becoming a childminder for other english speaking families ( i will try learning To speak spanish)

Very few career opportunities legal or not and as has been said they are low paid. No great demand for full time child minders due to lack of money for most. Seasonal work in bars, restaurants, shops are few and far between due to demand

1. Would a childminder be needed in spain?

Are you a registered child minder as that will be required and if English qualifications they will need official translations

1. Do you get any government help in spain like we do here with child benefits ect..?

No – unless you have paid into the system and that includes no automatic health care. Even after paying into the system benefits are very low, minimal and difficult to claim

1. Wheres best and cheap to rent?

Many places in and around Quesada such as Benijofar, los Montesinos, Rojales, Almoradi, Torrevieja, San Miguel, Entre Narajos, San Luis to name a few

Sorry to be negative but telling you how it is. I would suggest you come over for a couple of months and try it out before you commit. A lot of people can offer help and advice but if they want paying avoid and use common sense.

Talk to those who have families and have been here a while

Good luck and do as much research as you can

Like 1      
01 Feb 2014 10:12 PM by Jackie-90 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for everyones help. We have quite a few close friends and family living in the alicante area some have lived there for a while but theyre older kids all have their own kids so no idea on how it is for english children moving to spain. We stayed a week with family and it was fantastic and i would love to live there but need to do lots of research and want my kids in full time education so i can work as i wanna pay my way. Id like to learn to drive and get a qualification in something useful to spain (already have business qualifications) and learn to speak spanish better as i know a bit already before moving over there hence the two year deadline. My partner is also a chef so im sure he could get a job in spain aswell and id like to earn money so with live comfortably. Again thanks for all your replies i am at the moment only looking into it x

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FAMILY (2 ADULTS 1 CHILD) SEEK PLACE TO RENT ON COSTA DORADA, LONG TERM - 0 posts
Hola amigos! - 10 posts
Caring and Responsible Dog-Walker - 0 posts
Form 720 - 21 posts
Frightening unemployment data! - 0 posts
Spain formally exits bank bailout program in better shape - 0 posts
transferring money from Spain to France - 16 posts
Introducing the SHOWMAN - 0 posts
Update please Cost of a weekly shop - 22 posts
Spanish compliant bonds - 5 posts
Crisis closes 50,000 establishments in 4 years - 0 posts
Spanish Property Prices to See Further Decline in 2014, Says Moody’s - 0 posts
Gay Bars and Clubs - 2 posts
Looking for a private pyschology tutor at AS2 level - 0 posts
complaint against police - 7 posts
* Legal Property Experts * Can You Buy an Embargoed Property? - 24 posts
getting a nie number - 18 posts
easyjet and taking kitchen knives in hold luggage. a problem? - 7 posts
furniture for sale - 2 posts
Benefits Street - 9 posts
MONTILLA, NEAR CORDOBA. - 0 posts
Landline phones - 8 posts
Fuengirola Real Estate - Are they still trading? - 2 posts
ELS Legal - 0 posts
Cheap Bars and Restaurants for Sale - Bargains? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x