PVA bonding - repairing a badly rendered wall

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Sep 2013 9:50 AM by paddyw Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

PVA bonding – repairing a badly rendered wall.

The garden wall on my house was very badly rendered.  The rendering is either flaky or falling off.  I need to get it re-rendered and want to ensure that it is done properly.  Some of it was repaired by the builder at the snagging stage using a white mix (I do not know what was used) but this was put straight on the flaky wall without any preparation and has now fallen off.  This time I want to make sure that it is done properly using a PVA bonding agent before rendering which would seal the surface and increase the adhesion of the new render.

Generally this PVA costs about £10 for a 5 litre container in the UK.  I do not know what they call this in Spain but I had difficulty explaining what I wanted when I went to the builder’s merchants.  Can anyone give me some information on what this is called in Spain and where I may be able to buy it at sensible prices?

On a separate issue, can anyone advise on the sand and cement mix for the rendering as this seems to be part of the original problem.  I think that the builder may have used the same cement mix for the bricklaying and the rendering.  The current rendering looks very rough and coarse.  I am aware that sharp sand should be used for the render in the UK and wonder what seems to happen in Spain.

Thank you for any information, help and advice.

PaddyW

Like 0      
20 Sep 2013 10:09 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The white stuff is called Cola it comes in cement size bags it can be bought in any builder merchants / PVA glue is nothing more than wood glue if you go to any chinese bazar a pick up some wood glue 250ml is enough for 5ltrs of water mixed up in a bucket and applied to the wall with a old paint brush.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Planning permission - 9 posts
Things to know before moving to Spain - 2 posts
UK TV channels in Spain. - 17 posts
A host of questions - 41 posts
car age - 7 posts
Linkedin..... opinions welcome - 5 posts
210 TAX FORM ON LINE - 24 posts
sports bar - 0 posts
Revoking Power of Attorney - 19 posts
Are all the Banka Banks in Southern Spain Closing? - 8 posts
The simple solution to the Bank Guarantee Abuse - 21 posts
About a roof: to pitch or not to pitch - 9 posts
changing car ownership - 0 posts
Wanted Spanish property P/X - 0 posts
Astra 2E launch delayed....again... - 1 posts
Returning Resident Cert - 3 posts
Tribal Price Lists - 10 posts
Recession or Incompetence - 0 posts
online shopping - 0 posts
S1 Early Retiree - loophole maybe - 5 posts
RENEWING PADRON - 6 posts
Quimbombo - 11 posts
EOS SITE UPDATES - 5 posts
Long term apartment rental Rojales - 0 posts
Changing Endesa Direct Debit Details - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x