Have you been affected by a Cowboy Builder?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Aug 2013 1:55 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I believe that with any profession you have to be wary who you are dealing with and not instantly trust them because they have a nice smile and say things that make you feel good. Many builders are such pleasant blokey types who instantly make you feel that they couldn't possibly do anything wrong and make you feel like writing a blank cheque in total confdence.

However, as others have said, this is not just so for builders but goes for banks, insurances, doctors, lawyers and many other professions.

One reason that people often spit so much bile over builders is to do with the sums of money involved. Maybe you can survive being cheated by a dishonest used car salesman or buying an insurance policy that is too expensive, as long as you make sure the next one is better. But because of the time it takes to save up for a house and then pay off the mortgage, its not something you can put aside as a valuable learning experience and seek to do better next time.

Personally, I find it pays to not go for the big jobs straight away but to test builders with smaller jobs such as repairing a garden wall or a terrace before even letting them anywhere near the roof or the plumbing (and of course not telling them it is a test). People who will cheat with big things will cheat with small things, but with a garden wall for example, it is still doable to actually count the bricks and guesstimate the amount of mortar required and if there is a larger discrepancy to what was billed for, demand an explanation (in a friendly way of course, it's not right to accuse people of scheming to con you when in reality you might just be misunderstanding). And if they do mess up and the garden wall collpases within a year or they don't properly clean up after finishing, then those are also warning signs that they won't do better on the bigger jobs.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 2:15 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

We're still waiting to see about the little bald fellow-what is his "dubious background?"Can't make those sort of comments without justifying them!

A poster on here has already said they know what his background was, i asked 'What is it then?' no answer back, i chose not to use his name on this forum, suffice to know i do know what his background was before the TV business, and does it realy help anyone if i told them...Which as it happens i wont.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 5:54 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Don't think DL has a notorious background..other than being a journalist ..of course.

He did a programme with an old lag re housebreaking and anyone reading just the headlines would think it referred to DL.

Have to admit that when I saw him on the dance programme did think his attitude was a trifle OTT when he was voted off and have ne re again warmed to him.....

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 9:09 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Don't think DL has a notorious background..other than being a journalist .…of course.

He did a programme with an old lag re housebreaking and anyone reading just the headlines would think it referred to DL.

Have to admit that when I saw him on the dance programme did think his attitude was a trifle OTT when he was voted off and have ne re again warmed to him.....

He never was a journalist, very far from it, never seen the dance shows so cant comment on that one, didn't by any chance break a leg..or.…Something worse, did he? 

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUST WHO IS DOING THE SHOPLIFTING - 11 posts
fulhampatrick - 0 posts
Need a new kitchen and or bench top - 0 posts
Google Chrome Bug - 2 posts
Spain: fertile lands in return for European assistance and credits. - 0 posts
Bank accounts in the UK - 5 posts
Gibraltar border cntrols - 1 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 10 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
Foreign investment in Spain. Bit three - 0 posts
Health & Safety certificate. - 0 posts
EX-18 Completed Form Example - 13 posts
question re delivery of items via amazon es if not home at the time - 9 posts
Tony - 0 posts
First Aid in Spain - 1 posts
RYANAIR - 125 posts
Legal tip 1008. Foreign investments in Spain. Bit two - 0 posts
Legal tip 1006. Foreign investment in Spain. Bit one - 0 posts
seeking trustworthy letting agent almeria area - 0 posts
Law firm to get my money back from CBL and a developer in Spain - 3 posts
Cajamar bank - 6 posts
Each to their own I suppose - 8 posts
Car Information - 11 posts
Vuelta 2013 - 2 posts
FORD PUMA FOR SALE - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x