Prospective rise in Spanish retirement age, how will it affect UK pensioners in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Oct 2012 2:42 PM by rymski Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

We are both UK residents hoping to retire to Spain soon.

I'm 65 in December, so will be eligible for a UK state pension. My wife will soon be 60 and will take early retirement then and start to draw her occupational pension, but will be too young for a UK state pension.

Spain's retirement age will be rising shortly to 67, how will this affect us if we retire to Spain shortly? Will I be able to still get free health care in spite of being below Spanish retirement age? At what age will my wife be able to get free health care, does she have to be be of UK pension age or Spanish pension age?

Any one know or can point to info on pensioner benefits for retirees to Spain?

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 3:02 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Your healthcare entitlement is paid for by UK so the rules in UK will apply.  You will get free healthcare in Spain and your wife will also get free healthcare as your beneficiary until she reaches pensionable age in UK.  You will need an S1 certificate from the International Pensions Centre of the DWP.  This site http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/access-healthcare/healthcare/e121/ tells you all about it (sorry I can't use the link bit as it doesn't appear to be working).

Make sure you have the S1 done (by phone) before you leave UK and they will post it to you (completed) at your Spanish address.

Be aware you need to pay 10% of prescription costs as a pensioner.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 4:12 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Be aware you need to pay 10% of prescription costs as a pensioner.

But only up to a limit.

Those on an income up to a total, I think, of 18,000 euros,   pay a maximun of 8 euros a month.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 10:05 AM by rymski Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your replies, looks like there's no reason not to retire to Spain!

10am in Lancashire and guess what! It's just started to rain with 40mm promised today!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

walking to la zenia boulavard - 5 posts
Paramount theme park - 7 posts
Paramount Kent!!! - 27 posts
Do you live in or around Nerja? Weather info needed! - 11 posts
The running costs of Electricity and Water - 5 posts
New satellite channels from 11th October, Capital & Heart TV - 0 posts
Interested to hear views on this - 9 posts
BONFIRE NIGHT & HALLOWEEN - 9 posts
Advertising Errors in Spain - 3 posts
How would you sell a Static Caravan for Sale? - 7 posts
Air Rifles - The law in Spain? - 0 posts
Traditional townhouse wanted to buy in Jalon valley area - cash buyers - 0 posts
Wanted, long term rental from mid march 2013 couple with small dog. Honest & genuine. - 9 posts
Newbie wanting to say hi and wanting a rental from mid march 2013. - 0 posts
Question about voting at AGM - 8 posts
For SALE - Faux leather sofa bed - 0 posts
WANTED COARSE FISHING TACKLE / EQUIPMENT - 0 posts
Problems editing advert - 1 posts
Newbie Here wanting to be there :) - 1 posts
Wasjigs wanted !!?? - 0 posts
Motor Bike purchase & costs - 12 posts
Legal Wedding in Spain - 1 posts
Does anyone have their boiler serviced? - 0 posts
La Zenia Boulevard.....Amazing - 1 posts
Newbie - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x