Motor Bike purchase & costs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2012 10:36 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Seeing & reading Casalina writing on her blog this morning made me wonder just what the costs of buying & running a smallish motor bike would be?

Would it be better to buy one in the UK & ride it over? (No RHD or LHD here to worry about!).

Can anyone assist me here please?

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 11:33 AM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

We bought our 125 yamaha Cygnus X scooter here in Spain brand new approx just over 4 years ago. Running costs are cheap compared to the UK, road tax just €8 insurance €117 and just had the first ITV done after 4 years from new for €25.It works out we get almost 100mpg to the gallon as well, which saves me a considerable amount of cash using it to work everyday rather than using the car. If you buy a bike in the UK and bring it over, you will have to re register it and pay tax on it , so I think buying in Spain is the best option.

Regards, Steve.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 12:24 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thanks Steve,

what was the cost of the bike please?

Gerald

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 12:27 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Think we paid a total of €2400 brand new.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 3:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Steve ,  why did you have an ITV after 4 years. It's 4 for a car but after 5 for a motorcyle.

My bike cost £5,00014 years ago, Yamaha 600.

When I came to Spain 25 years ago, I had had full comp insurance in UK any bike up to 350 cc for £59.  My first bike here a Honda RS125cc was £400 with max no claims.

Ok the Circulation Tax is cheap but not much else.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 5:19 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

I wasnt sure about the ITV, so went to the ITV station with my paperwork , they said it was due , so I had it done. Perhaps it varies from region to region, or perhaps I got ripped off. Was a farce tho as all they did was check the chassis number and put it on the brake rollers, they didnt check the lights, tyres , suspension or anything, mind you the scooter is still like brand new and well maintained.

All I can suggest then is, do right what feels right to you.

Take care and safe riding.

Regards.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2012 5:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just checked. It would appear that the law has been changed and now it is 4 years for M/Cs too

The ITV test is of a somewhat lower standard then in UK

My car 15 years old and my MC 14 years old have never failed

Like 0      
07 Oct 2012 11:50 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

So John .....

it seems lots of people on this site have "elderly" cars. Can I assume therefore that they "weather" better in Spain?

I suppose never having to start from frozen, causing less engine wear, lack of damp aiding joints etc although the sun on paintwork & tyres I suppose causes havoc.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2012 1:46 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

1997 toyota, never even bought a bulb

Like 0      
07 Oct 2012 3:22 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Do you ever use it John? chuckle chuckle.

But is this unnusual or general?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2012 5:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

No, I keep it wrapped up in cotton wool

I thought you really wanted to now, seems I was wrong

Like 0      
07 Oct 2012 8:40 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

"thought you really wanted to now, seems I was wrong"

I did, but saying you have never replaced anything implied it was possibly not used too much.

I didn't mean it to be derogatory or condescending !!!!

Gerald

ps "now" should be "know" incidentally 

Like 0      
08 Oct 2012 8:44 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry, I stand corrected by your erudite reply, but  I was so flabbergasted your banality that I failed to notice the typing error.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal Wedding in Spain - 1 posts
Does anyone have their boiler serviced? - 0 posts
La Zenia Boulevard.....Amazing - 1 posts
Newbie - 0 posts
Inheritance tax - 3 posts
Is it legal for votes to be counted after the agm or egm has endec? - 1 posts
Geoff - 0 posts
Dead and Gone - 2 posts
What's happened to the Mediterranean diet? - 8 posts
Insuring your holiday home……. - 2 posts
Getting Spanish TV channels in the UK - 17 posts
Constant high interest rate by a bank - 1 posts
Spanish public holidays, should they be moved? - 42 posts
Casa Salvador Restaurant - Cullera - 1 posts
Cadiz heist on judicial storage unit. Incredible! - 4 posts
Off shore investement firm Abbey Financial Solutions anyone able to confirm they are legitimate? - 2 posts
Polaris World - 3 posts
council tax and income tax advice - 2 posts
FOR SALE SPANISH CAR - 2 posts
IVA on insurance premiums - 1 posts
BBC satellite frequency changes Early hours of 12 October 2012: - 0 posts
Wayne Stoneman - 0 posts
AIFOS/CajaSur partnership - 0 posts
Urban Cost of Living / Working Questions - 0 posts
why do insurance agents in Spain insure uk registered cars? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x