Advertising Errors in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Oct 2012 10:24 PM by kataylor62 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

My friend has a business and contracted for a print advertisement.  Despite checking it for errors, one product had a significant pricing error due to a typographical error on the part of the preparer of the advertisement.  My friends says he has to sell the product at the advertised price.  I cannot believe this is possible.  Isnt there some relief for a business in Spain for situations such as this?  If the product hasnt been sold, and it is only 1 product out of hundreds in the advertisement I wouldnt think it could be classified as a deception, but an error which can place undo hardship on the business.  It is a price difference on a laptop, which the client should reasonably be expected to know is an error (you dont get a $500 computer for $50.00).  Can anyone tell me what remedy there might be without being faced with legal action by customers who try to force a sale because of the price?

Thank you,

Karen Taylor

Winston-Salem NC USA 

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 5:57 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You are kidding? He's not considering swallowing the mistake is he? I assume this is a small size business where this amount of money is important and that we are talking about a catalogue promo or something. If it was a large supermarket or a store they are obliged to respect the price on the product advertised in the supermarket. But even in a large electrical store I nearly bought a TV that I thought was cheap and when I got to the till I realised it was wrongly priced, they said sorry and I said was a pain and that was that. They weren't prepared to respect the price, and the difference was  200 euros. (thought it was cheap!) As it is a catalogue the only thing he has to do is inform the customer when they enquire about it. People aren't stupid they know they can't buy a computer for 50 euros.  I wouldn't do anything but inform them when they ask. But sell at the real price. At most some-one might leave a complaint but most won't. It's understandable. Next time tell him to put a warning line on all advetising " salvo error de imprenta" "except for priniting errors". Most people won't try to take advantge of a smaller company they are more like to take a big boy for a ride as they know they can afford it.

I would just relax and tell the printer to reprint all the catalogues again, of course. 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 6:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I don’t know about Spain, but many people used to believe that a price ticket in the UK had to be honoured, whereas the law said, it was merely an ‘invitation to trade’ and thus meant nothing

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 7:06 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

No one is going to sue him, this isn't the States. Even if they could sue him, which I'm convinced they can't. It wouldn't get to court for a couple of years and at most, if by law they could claim, he would only have to honour the price. Nothing else. No one is going to bother with that, they are wasting their time, the computer will be prehistoric by then:)

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How would you sell a Static Caravan for Sale? - 7 posts
Air Rifles - The law in Spain? - 0 posts
Traditional townhouse wanted to buy in Jalon valley area - cash buyers - 0 posts
Wanted, long term rental from mid march 2013 couple with small dog. Honest & genuine. - 9 posts
Newbie wanting to say hi and wanting a rental from mid march 2013. - 0 posts
Question about voting at AGM - 8 posts
For SALE - Faux leather sofa bed - 0 posts
WANTED COARSE FISHING TACKLE / EQUIPMENT - 0 posts
Problems editing advert - 1 posts
Newbie Here wanting to be there :) - 1 posts
Wasjigs wanted !!?? - 0 posts
Motor Bike purchase & costs - 12 posts
Legal Wedding in Spain - 1 posts
Does anyone have their boiler serviced? - 0 posts
La Zenia Boulevard.....Amazing - 1 posts
Newbie - 0 posts
Inheritance tax - 3 posts
Is it legal for votes to be counted after the agm or egm has endec? - 1 posts
Geoff - 0 posts
Dead and Gone - 2 posts
What's happened to the Mediterranean diet? - 8 posts
Insuring your holiday home……. - 2 posts
Getting Spanish TV channels in the UK - 17 posts
Constant high interest rate by a bank - 1 posts
Spanish public holidays, should they be moved? - 42 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x