Not much time left on my British passport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2012 10:35 PM by Tonico Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

I have just realised that my passport runs out in the middle of June which leaves only 7 days left on it after my return date. Will I be ok to travel  Tonico

Like 0      
14 May 2012 11:20 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Travel to where?, Europe should be ok. America etc not, min 6 months required.

Like 0      
15 May 2012 9:39 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe that with the exception of the EU, and a journey to one’s home country,  one must have at least 6 months validity, from the return date,  on their passport to be allowed to travel.

Like 0      
15 May 2012 11:18 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

my othe half and I have just renewed our passports and

were told that within the eu your passport has to be valid for 3 months

coolyes

Like 0      
15 May 2012 9:11 PM by horton3 Star rating in Sittingbourne Kent. 30 posts Send private message

Hi

As a recently retired immigration officer I hope the following information helps, to travel within the EU you can travel out from the UK and return on the very day you passport expires, although this is something I would not recommend, because if your return is delayed for whatever reason, you might have problems leaving that country, as you would techniciacl be undocumented, and you could be told to go to a consulate to get a valid document.

Also technically to be in another country without a valid ID document, in the case of a Brit thats a British passport, then you could be fined or worse arrested as an un-documented alian.

With regard to the USA you passport must be valid for duration of your stay, but again for the reasons I have already given, this would not be a wise move. Australia & New Zealand have their own requirements including visas etc, so you are better of going to that countries websites.

As for returning to the UK without a valid passport, you might be asked to explain why you travelled knowing your passport has or might expire when you are out of the country, checks would be made to ensure that the passsport was in fact yours and had not been lost, stolen or counterfiet.

Steve

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking at a move. - 1 posts
park home swap for narrowboat - 0 posts
Auriga Crown- San Javier - 4 posts
60ft Narrowboat - Spanish Home Swap - 2 posts
Euro predictions - 13 posts
Bringing Uk car to spain - 3 posts
casares town hall under investigation - 0 posts
Satellite Dish and Gas Fire for sale - 0 posts
Problems with Teleast again.. - 6 posts
Fold up Bikes for sale - 3 posts
pension from Spain - 4 posts
Groupama Seguros Home Insurance. - 2 posts
Reported tax amnesty - 2 posts
Narrow boat - Spanish Property Swap/Part-exchange! - 5 posts
No Brits please! - 33 posts
Travel - 1 posts
Hyundai H1 (large 7 seater) - 0 posts
Do you pay your President - 17 posts
SEAT LEON STYLANCE 1.9TDI, FOR SALE! - 2 posts
Spanish Car Insurance for trip to UK - 4 posts
One way van hire recomendation. - 3 posts
Removal from Spain to France - 14 posts
WANTED FLAT SCREEN TV AND FREE SAT BOX / FURNITURE - 1 posts
Can we get a refund if we don't fly - 31 posts
wanted. bunk beds - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x