transfer onto spanish plates

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by trish57 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Does anyone know the real truth here?

I have an english right hand drive van that I want to change onto spanish plates. I am getting conflicting reports from people. One says you cant changes it over because they wont ITV it due to restrcted vision on the left side. Then someone else said, if you put a window in the left side of the van that gets round that and they will then ITV it and you can then register it in spain. Then someone said I need a homologation certificate etc etc.

I want to be legal with the vehicle but dont seem to be able to get a sensible decision. I dont need hearsay, I need the correct answer. Can I do it or not?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2012 8:37 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Spanish law does not allow re-registration of rhd commercial vehicles ( or motorcaravans which have windows all around ! ) which is vans & lorries & what are known in the UK as 'car derived vans'. I.E. Vehicles that have windows but are based on a van originally.; Like the Ford tourneo connect, Citroën , Renault Berlingo, Fiat Doblo, etc.

You will see ,occasionally, rhd vans on Spanish plates , mainly around Alicante, both for sale & on the road. These either slipped through due to the tester not putting down that the steering wheel was on the rh side or some other method. ( Like it had come from France where it had been re-registered as they allow it .) What you can say , in all certainty, is that in the event of a serious accident where people are dead/seriously injured & which ends up in court ,is that the vehicle will be declared as 'not able to be re-registered under Spanish law '   & it's Spanish registration will be rescinded , leaving the owner with the possibility of being left with the whole compensation amount , regardless of any blame.

If you are a Spanish resident & are unable to re-register it then you cannot legally drive it  even if it is completely legal in the UK. Tax, mot , etc ; as a Spanish citizen & resident foreigner cannot drive a vehicle with foreign plates which they own.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2012 8:21 AM by trish57 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

ok thanks for that. Doesnt look like I have many options!!!

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 10:17 AM by k 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Is there not something within the law that allows vans derived from cars, The is the keyword bit Vans derived from cars for example a Vauxhall combo? I had no problems at all getting it into this country. I had windows installed in the back before leaving to sort out the vision thing so it is no more dangerous than any other RHD car. I never block up the left window with any loads either.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lawyrs fees on claiming back Capitol gains tax - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Mortgage? - 1 posts
Generic Bank Guarantee's - 24 posts
Stroppy Tenant - 6 posts
Kindle with 3G - 17 posts
Standing Charges - 4 posts
high chair - 0 posts
travel cot - 0 posts
A question for Justin re Blog comments - 3 posts
Mobile Internet - 14 posts
Claiming back IVA in UK or Spain for refurbishment - 7 posts
A Big Thank You - 4 posts
Campsite? - 4 posts
Rejas and Security Alarms advice - 5 posts
Electricity & Utilities. - 17 posts
Roof Bars wanted - 0 posts
Hi i am new here - 0 posts
Dickmanns car hire no thanks - 8 posts
Should i pay a reservation deposit??? - 42 posts
looking for a reputable estate agent in the granada area to sell a property - 5 posts
Worst bank - 5 posts
Rollator Walking Aid for sale €95 - 0 posts
non resident civil partners Inheritance Tax on death of partner - 6 posts
Dacions still being granted ? - 4 posts
What sort of picture quality should we get on SKy generally - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x