Euro VS Sterling

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Dec 2011 2:53 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Sorry Papa, If you have not agreed a price I don't understand how you have a sale? Normally you pay 3000 Euros when you agree matters and I thought you generally have 30 days to complete. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong. If I was you I would keep the property up for sale until the 3000 euros is paid. Good luck. Kevin

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 3:03 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 468 posts Send private message

Sounds about right KEV and if the buyer drops out i,snt a penalty payable I have forgotten its been that long since we bought in SPAIN

Rod

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 4:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kev, just as you say. 

Until a price is agreed and a Compaventa (buying / selling contact) ) is signed then there is no sale, no contract. 

After one is signed if either party breaks the contract then a penalty is payable. Usually the seller can keep the deposit if the buyer pulls out and if the seller does so its an amount equal to the deposit which must be paid.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 4:29 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Let's try and clear this up, as there are a few misconceptions flying around on this thread.

It is normal to draw up a private contract agreeing the sale price and a completion date. This is the point at which a deposit is paid by the buyer, usually 10% of the agreed price, but this can be varied by agreement. The completion date does not have to be within 30 days - it is up to the parties concernedf. It is important to remember that this is a PRIVATE contract, and has nothing to do with the notary or the final escritura or deed. But it is binding, so no gazumping or price changes can occur in Spain - one of the advantages over the English system.

If the buyer defaults he loses the deposit. If the seller defaults he must pay the buyer double, ie give the deposit back plus the same amount again.

When we bought the last time, we paid a deposit in sterling (the vendors were British and heading back to the UK) and agreed a completion date over 4 months ahead, which suited us both. We also paid the balance in sterling, which may be an option for you, papa.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 4:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Pablo,

Thanks for confirming what I had just said, albeit in a more drawn out form..

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 4:54 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Sorry, johnzx, your post wasn't that clear, particularly about the financial penalty for the seller who pulls out, so I thought it was worth me posting in the way I did, just to be absolutely precise. But I was really clarifying things in the light of the incorrect information posted by others previously.

Just trying to help ...

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 5:05 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Thank you    ALL YOUR responses have been helpful and food for thought  Happy Christmas and New Year

PS  Hope I have'nt offended ANYONE by wishing the above

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 8:52 PM by STARZA Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

The euro/pound may be good......but not so good if you pay your taxes in Spain.....the rate of exchange  for tax is taken on the 31st of December, so all year it has been low but now!!!!!!! 

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 11:19 PM by anthomo16 Star rating. 104 posts Send private message

watch this space over the Christmas period when the traders close down.... it is probable one of the "olive countries" will collapse and then we will see what happens to the euro

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 1:47 AM by tonyl Star rating in Bristol and Águilas,.... 7 posts Send private message

My son works for an international bank in the City. He told me  the other day they are updating their systems to be able to handle drachma, just in case Greece decides to pull out of the Euro over Christmas. If they're going to do it, that would be  the best time - the markets are closed (or at least pretty quiet) over Christmas, and by  the time they re-open, the panic will be over and the traders will have had a bit of time to absorb the news. Will it make the Euro weaker because it's falling  apart, or stronger because a weak member has departed? Who knows?

Like 0      
19 Dec 2011 12:48 AM by hobbit19 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I used to be an FX interbank trader in the City and my take on will it be'stronger or weaker' is that it would be weaker with the market looking for the next country to be forced out of the politically inspired should never have existed euro.

:)

Brian

Like 0      
19 Dec 2011 9:43 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Since I'm orginally from Canada (via Germany 7 years) I tend to think Euro/US dollar and as long as I've been here it's been 1 to 1.5 CDN and just the other day I went online is was 1.3 to 1 huge change!

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 5:40 PM by REIDPJ Star rating. 239 posts Send private message

Baldrick:     "What I want to know sir, is before there was a Euro there were
lots of different types of money that different people used. And now there's
only one type of money that the foreign people use. And what I want to know
is, how did we get from one state of affairs to the other state of affairs?"

Blackadder:    "Baldrick. Do you mean, how did the Euro start?"

Baldrick:    "Yes sir"

Blackadder:     "Well, you see Baldrick, back in the 1980's there were many
different countries all running their own finances and using different types
of money. On one side you had the major economies of France , Belgium ,
Holland and Germany , and on the other, the weaker nations of Spain , Greece
, Ireland , Italy and Portugal . They got together and decided that it would
be much easier for everyone if they could all use the same money, have one
Central Bank, and belong to one large club where everyone would be happy.
This meant that there could never be a situation whereby financial meltdown
would lead to social unrest, wars and crises".

Baldrick:    "But this is sort of a crisis, isn't it sir?".

Blackadder:    "That's right Baldrick. You see, there was only one slight flaw
with the plan".

Baldrick:     "What was that then sir?"

Blackadder:    "It was bollocks"

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 6:22 PM by lacanau Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

People tend to forget that before the Euro  all the European economies muddled along in their own sweet way, when things were bad their currencies went down in value making their goods, or tourism more attractive causing a natural but perhaps gradual recovery. The Euro was originally introduced at 72p, unless my memory fails me, it went down in value straight away as people said it couldn't work I think those people are now being proved correct. The Black Adder is a prime example of comic truth perhaps the currency should not have been called the Euro but instead it should have bee named "The Bollock", then as it sinks in the sunset we could all say " They dropped a Bollock with this one". I personally will be glad to see it go.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 6:35 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Why? If the Euro goes it will take a lot of economies with it, not just ones in the Eurozone.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 7:52 PM by lacanau Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

I don't think it's if I think it's when! Though I appreciate what you're saying I don't think that the Euro can survive the current onslaught. I also understand what you're saying but only the strong currencies will come through unscathed, Germany yes, France is not so strong as it makes out, and where do we go from there, Hungary currently has a credit rating of JUNK. This is a very deep subject, Germany will only keep throwing money at the Euro for so long before it decides it's better as a single currency and what happens then?? The sad thing is we''ve had 2 world wars that Germany has lost but they're getting their own back with the economy. If the Euro is going to collapse, isn't it better sooner rather than later??

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 9:06 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Why do people keep on about the war!  I am old enough to remember those dreadful times, but hold no animosity toward the current German people for what happend over half a century and two generations ago.  Yes, supporting the Euro is currently very much in the German interest as if they were forced to resort to the Deuchmark there products would become so expensive that no-one could afford to purchase them.  In the likely event that the Euro fails we will all feel the impact.

M.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 10:32 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

The breakup of the Euro will cause a lot of problems for a lot of people but I do agree with lacanau that sooner is better than later. We need to get through whatever is going to happen as there will be no return to economic growth until this is sorted out.

David

Like 0      
24 Dec 2011 12:16 AM by fredricks Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

**Edited - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 24/12/2011.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2011 1:11 AM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Translation please, Frederiks ...

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Just moved to Puerto de Mazarron, Murcia - 2 posts
Hi, Im looking for yoga/meditation in Costa del Sol. - 1 posts
mortgage applied for - 5 posts
Sourcing stuff... a source of frustration! - 9 posts
Valor Catastral revalue in Marbella 2011 / 2012 - 4 posts
POLICE WARNING - 5 posts
paraja de hecho - 2 posts
Turkey for christamas - 5 posts
HELPING ALL THE DOGS & CATS ABANDONED OR IN THE REFUGES - 2 posts
Help Wanted - Car Hire Malaga Airport - 1 posts
Solbank website - is it down ? - 9 posts
Short notice for first AGM - 8 posts
Save 10% on Ferry Crossings. - 1 posts
Parra Mellado and FLO - 1 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR LAWYERS NEAR FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 0 posts
Mac help - 12 posts
Bike shop Fuengirola/La Cala - 1 posts
RYAN STRIKE AGAIN - 1 posts
Settle an argument - 8 posts
Help with Paying Non Resident Tax. - 10 posts
Van to Mijas Costa - 6 posts
Problems With Intasure - 1 posts
Overweight Moi - 0 posts
WAITING TWO MONTHS FOR RETURN OF DEPOSIT - 8 posts
Marbella joins the move to leave the A-7 in darkness - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x