HELPING ALL THE DOGS & CATS ABANDONED OR IN THE REFUGES

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by LANSELL Star rating in various places in eu.... 2 posts Send private message

I wRITE THIS AS AS A PLEA TO ANYONE ELSE WHO FEELS THE SAME AS I DO, IT SADDENS ME GREATLY AS AN ANIMAL LOVER (NOT LIVING IN SPAIN) TO KNOW OF THE OFTEN SHOCKING & CRUEL TREATMENT THEY RECIEVE. I WONDER WOULD IT NOT BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE A "SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY".. HOW WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO START ?

PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS WOULD YOU & ME VIA THE INTERNET GET SOMETHING GOING, WHO TO APPROACH ? SURELY THERE MUST BE MANY WHO WOULD LIKE TO HELP.

HOPE TO READ OR HEAR SOMETHING SOON, THE SITUATION AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR ALSO THE SUMMER IS BAD.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2011 10:36 PM by llamacalmer Star rating in Surrey & La Torre. 318 posts Send private message

llamacalmer´s avatar

There's quite a few charities in the Murcia area who rehome dogs both in Spain and the UK, but a lovely lady called Tina who often posts on eos helps as much as she can to rehome hunting dogs in particular.  We are in the process of rehoming 2 stray dogs from san cayetano to join our other 4 Spanish 'homeless'.

This message was last edited by llamacalmer on 12/12/2011.

R
osemary

Owner of  8 stray Spanish mutts

Like 0      
13 Dec 2011 12:46 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

The problem is due to the attitude of a lot of European countries, not least of which is Spain; Spain gets a lot of bad press re its treatment of the 'abandonados' but in reality it's just the same wherever you go in Europe and its not helped by expats who abandon their pets when they return to their own countries. We see it all too often here on EOS; pleas from expats going back to the UK... 'can someone please take care of my dog / cat' and it falls to the local animal rescuers to step in.

In reality, if the pet owners over here complied with the Spanish law on microchipping and annual rabies shots there is no reason at all why the dog / cat  cannot be issued with a pet passport that allows unrestricted access to the UK. I know times are hard out here for anyone that has to work for a living and it ain't so easy for those who like me and my OH, rely on pensions.

We started life out here with two amazing hounds from UK Rescue Centres that we brought with us; it was never our intention to take on any others but... it... just...  sort... of ... happened... see my blog for details. Currently we have 9... far too many but all of them deserving cases. Life revolves around them 24/7/365; there is no such tning as a day off.

The view of the authorities is hardline but I understand fully their reasons; someone said to me "You cant save them all..." and regretably it's very true and the authorities take the same view. What I do object to is their habit of farming out dog and cat captures to uncaring get-rich-quick companies; these companies are the scum of the earth. They are paid a substantial retainer and then on results. More often than not these are run purely as capture and kill centres; the methods used for euthanasia are normally gross, cruel, and totally inhumane. Local authority 'Rescue Centres' are not much better. The life expectancy of an animal picked up from the street can be measured in days, sometimes in hours.

I put forward a post on my blog under the heading Sobering Thought which proposed a controversial partial solution. The PP in Madrid under Esperanza Aguirre (who normally, seems quite a sensible person...) put forward her own solution... Make it a criminal offence to feed street dogs... just how bloody arrogant can you get. Hopefully she will get her reward in Heaven... or not as the case may be. 

Street dogs, left to their own devices, do not of themselves pose a problem it's peoples reactions to them that cause the problems.

As for A European Society for the Protection of Animals... with the best will in the world I just can't see it happening. Not one animal charity in Europe receives any financial support from local or national authorities and it falls to local organisations like The Little Pod Foundation and Perros del Sol and all the others, too numerous to mention to fundraise and actually care for the rescued animals.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help Wanted - Car Hire Malaga Airport - 1 posts
Solbank website - is it down ? - 9 posts
Short notice for first AGM - 8 posts
Save 10% on Ferry Crossings. - 1 posts
Parra Mellado and FLO - 1 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR LAWYERS NEAR FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 0 posts
Mac help - 12 posts
Bike shop Fuengirola/La Cala - 1 posts
RYAN STRIKE AGAIN - 1 posts
Settle an argument - 8 posts
Help with Paying Non Resident Tax. - 10 posts
Van to Mijas Costa - 6 posts
Problems With Intasure - 1 posts
Overweight Moi - 0 posts
WAITING TWO MONTHS FOR RETURN OF DEPOSIT - 8 posts
Marbella joins the move to leave the A-7 in darkness - 3 posts
Driving in the rain - 12 posts
Wishing You all Feliz Navidad. - 2 posts
Tenants Rights? - 13 posts
A DIY challenge - 7 posts
Selling house - current values in Mojacar vs 5 years ago? market activity? - 10 posts
Inheritance Tax - 11 posts
non residence tax. - 2 posts
BANCO SABADELL TO BUY CAM BANK FOR ONE EURO - 8 posts
Some Christmas cards - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x