So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2007 9:00 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Viva Espania, a BBC publcation is very comprehensive. There is a book ,CD, and a workbook. I also recorded the series (video)  as you cannot buy the videos. The problem is, not using the Spanish regularly, one forgets quickly what was learned. My daughter did 'A' level Spanish and and she got a B.  She has forgotten most of it now...!!!

This message was last edited by Tish on 4/13/2007.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 9:39 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Plexx,

I have all the Michael Thomas cd's on my IPod and yes he is the most boring speaker but having said that I have picked up some phrases from his learning techniques! I suppose it depends on how committed you are? Keep plodding away...............

Mike T

Like 0      
13 Apr 2007 9:52 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

A few years ago my daughter bought me a spanish course, the usual books cd etc. However it was actually an american course and the target language was Mexican(Spanish) The lessons were all based on ordering Hot Dogs (Perro Caliento) at Ball games. Anyway I plodded through it. Only now I have to stop myself calling people "Gringo" and wearing a bandolier of bullets across my chest.

Don Juanuno man,men,guy

This message was last edited by johnone on 4/13/2007.

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 2:58 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 9:38 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar
Think it's a bit basic, Janice. Thanks all the same. Probably will buy the Michel Thomas set (£29.95 on Ebay - can't be bad) and try to find a local conversational group as well. Or maybe employ a Spanish au pair. Or maybe just SHOUT LOUDER, as

Like 0      
14 Apr 2007 9:38 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar
Think it's a bit basic, Janice. Thanks all the same. Probably will buy the Michel Thomas set (£29.95 on Ebay - can't be bad) and try to find a local conversational group as well. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

This message was last edited by plexx on 4/14/2007.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 10:09 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 10:27 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

As I said in an earlier thread, BBC Viva Espania is very good. It is the choice of the adult Ed classes in our area. Very easy to follow with exercises at the end of each "lesson". It's definitely worth a look.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 11:32 AM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

For children I would highly reconmend "Muzzy," a cartoon were you can switch between English/Spanish sound and English/Spainish subtitles.

I  go to night classes, I have the "Teach Yourself Spanish" CD set with book and the 1st CD of the collection that was free with The Sun recently, I've sent away the vouchers for the rest of the set, my cheque for P&P was cashed over a month ago vbut still have'nt recieved the rest.

I find the night class to be the most successful for me as I lack the self-disipline to stay with the CD courses and the teacher, who although unfortunately isn't Spainish, makes the classes fun.

I'm doing the GOML course and am on level 2 (out of 4) now, which finishes in June. It coats about £50 per level including the optional £10 for the exams (oral, listening, written and reading) at the end of the level., Not bad considering there only 10 in the class.

I find the written the most difficult as my spelling is very poor, even in English!

I so much wish someone had taken me by the neck about 30 odd years ago in primary school and forced me to learn Spanish or any other language for that matter. I think my brain cells are too old and damaged by alcohol now!

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 1:32 PM by robmacm Star rating in West of Scotland. 83 posts Send private message

I started learning 10 years ago and have almost finished studying for a modern languages degree with the OU. 'Sueños' produced by the BBC is very good and it has two levels, beginner and intermediate. There is a website that is excellent and if anyone wants that address drop me a line (I don't think we're allowed to put web addresses up here so I won't!). I have a superb two CD course that unfortunately will not run on windows Xp but if anyone would like a copy drop me a line. I started with these Cds and it is the best course that I have seen and I have enough Spanish material to fill a small shop! Finally amazon.com has thousands of spanish books and magazines and many that have the stories in both english and spanish on facing pages. 

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 1:36 PM by robmacm Star rating in West of Scotland. 83 posts Send private message

www.learnspanish.com

Ok, others have posted web addresses.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 5:53 PM by smccartney Star rating in Jerez. 83 posts Send private message

I'm guessing it's OK to post www links if it's not blatant advertising for personal gain.

How many parents here are promoting and 2nd language for there children?

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:02 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I was told the best way to learn was to get a spanish boyfriend!

If I dont get the langnuage under my belt I guess I will have to try it!

Having lived here for 12 years, both children are fluent in Spanish, English (we speak in the home) French and have som German from the spanish schools they have attended

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:10 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
So does that mean I have to get a Spanish boyfriend - normally stick to Brits but if it will improve my oral skills then perhaps I had better make the effort

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Not a lot I can add to your comment that Justin would be able to leave in!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:32 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Just as long as the Spanish boys like Fuschia pink I should be ok

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:34 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
From the ones I have met, Im sure you will be fine - in fact spoiled for choice

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:36 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
I do like a choice - perhaps I could learn all the dialects if I play my cards right

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:36 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Sounds like a good game of poker!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Apr 2007 6:45 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Yeah 5 card stud - or is it 5 stud card - actually this is way off thread Janice will be in here rattling the cage soon

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts
Christmas Dinner Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Resort Membership - 3 posts
Playa Flamenca/Punta Prima - Costa Blanca - 7 posts
undersized apartments - 3 posts
Where do we start! - 3 posts
Tell me about the Bank Holidays in December - 6 posts
Mortgages - 1 posts
Electrical Goods - 15 posts
Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts
mortgages - 10 posts
Property owned by Spanish SL - 4 posts
Bank Valuations - 10 posts
wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 73

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x