Quack Quack! Unqualified Doctors in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I was flamed not so long ago for expressing the opinion that fine though the Spanish health service is it falls short of perfection. I suppose it is human nature to shoot the whistleblower. Perhaps some feel that because they personally received a good service everyone does.

There is an ongoing investigation into the debateable qualifications of doctors and other professionals employed primarily at Spanish health centres. There is also ample evidence that patients are being wrongly prescribed.

There does seem to be substance to concerns about non-qualified doctors being employed; we are not talking the occasional one that slips through the net; we are talking insitutionalised flagrant employment of those who don't pass muster. Further evidence emerges by the day. There is a television programme tonight about it. It is an issue of obvious importance and affects all nationalities; yes the Irish too.

I wonder if those who leap to the defence of procedures will resist the temptation to sue if they find their health, or that of their loved ones, has been compromised by someone they presumed was a doctor. Excuse my cynicism but I bet they beat me to the lawyer's office by a nose.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Apr 2011 10:08 PM by lavge Star rating in Granada. 19 posts Send private message

I can't really give a qualified answer to your post as I haven't heard of the case you're referring to. What get's on my nerves though, when discussing the Spanish health care system, is when people complain their doctor doesn't speak English or that things don't works as they're used to.

I have been to the doctor and hospital more since I came to Spain than ever before and so far my experience is possitive though very beaurocratic.  

Feel free to post any references (said out of interest)

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 11:00 AM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Mike, perhaps you will have better luck with the health care in Mijas Costas !   As I stated before in your previous thread about Spanish health care etc etc,  I cannot complain, infact last friday  I had a doctor's appointment which resulted in me needing an appointment for the hospital, by  Monday evening I had received the appointment to go to the hospital this friday for a scan. Fingers crossed it is not going to be serious, however I am confident that I would never have had such speedy service in the UK !

As for Quack's,  unfortunately these nutters turn up in every country and in all walks of life not just Spain !  Perhaps you could post the findings of the programme on here so we can make sure everyone is aware of the problem so they can avoid the possibilty of being subjected to a Quack.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 11:08 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Goodness Mike_Walsh!!!  If that is what you call being flamed - then you must be a very sensitive flower!!!   My memory of the thread, to which I contributed, is that it was simply about personal experience of both systems.   I think that people do have the right to reply to you, especially when you post a question in your title!!  (Do you still trust the Spanish Health system or whatever it was).  It is a bit unreasonable to say that you were 'flamed' when people answered the question!!!!

Once again, in this new thread you started, people will only compare the two systems - and let's be honest, there are plenty horrifying cases of people getting away with practicing for YEARS in the NHS in the UK, without being properly qualified.  One was reported only last week in the Times - a guy who worked for three or four health authorities before anyone really started asking questions.   THEN we have the question of the poor qualifications of many doctors coming into the UK from the subcontinent and other places, who cannot actually find employment in their own countries.  THEN we have the language issue of many doctors who do not speak adequate English but have no problems being employed by the NHS.    

I don't remember anyone saying the Spanish system is perfect in the 'flaming' you got - but it is no good dismissing peoples' experiences!!!   As I said before, one's opinion is going to be entirely a consequence of experience, and no amount of programmes or reports will make a difference.   I am amused that you saw yourself as a 'whistleblower' .  You must feel so sorry for all of us poor contributers who cannot form our own opinions!!!!

Brian

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 11:11 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Toddie, we were replying at the same  time - and thumbs up to you.  You demonstrate absolutely what I am trying to say!!

Bri

Brian

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 4:52 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

Spot on Bri !    

What was the outcome of the TV programme Mike, could'nt find it listed in the TV guide.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cédula de Habitabilidad - Administrative Silence Rule - 4 posts
What Price Spain? - 8 posts
Our Favourite Airline - 4 posts
The Expat Marketplace - 0 posts
MARBELLA LICENCES - 3 posts
Looking for work in Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
uk/spanish car exchange? - 0 posts
Pool Table - 0 posts
Air conditioning unit. - 0 posts
TC 300 Dual phone & TC 300 Sinus base station. - 1 posts
SUSPECT DHL EMAIL - 12 posts
Is my money safe in CAM - 0 posts
Free English TV on the internet - 19 posts
I need HELP with identifying CAJA MADRID Bank forms - 2 posts
Spammer on PMs - 7 posts
QROPS - 0 posts
Desperate sale - 8 posts
Bad News for Ryanair - Alicante Flights - 48 posts
House prices - 9 posts
COLLAR ON MORTGAGE VOID - 49 posts
Tax office Mijas - 7 posts
BMW 316i Compact 1998 Spanish plates LHD - 0 posts
Termites - anyone recommend a company to deal with them? - 4 posts
Car Hire Palma Airport - 0 posts
charges to receive transfer of euros from UK to Spanish bank - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x