COLLAR ON MORTGAGE VOID

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by 198 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Does anyone know any more about this?  Any further info much appreciated.

Banking consumer group Ausbanc said thousands of Spanish homeowners will benefit from a ruling by a Spanish court declaring minimum-interest clauses, or collars, included in many variable-rate mortgage deals, as void.
Ausbanc has campaigned intensely against minimum-interest clauses, noting that many banks hid them in their small print, which hindered homeowners benefitting from falling interest rates.
“This transcendental ruling will benefit thousands of Spanish citizens who have a mortgage with one of the guilty banks,” said consumer advocacy group Ausbanc in a statement.
A court in Seville ruled on September 30th 2010 the clause as null and void because of its abusive character and said Banks BBVA, Caixa Galicia and Cajamar should eliminate such clauses from mortgage contracts and not use them in the future.

Ausbanc has campaigned for months against these minimum-interest clauses, noting that many banks hid them in their small print. They say banks billed them as protection against rising interest rates for mortgage holders and sold them to clients who did not understand the implications. The schemes protected mortgage holders by putting a maximum limit on the interest rate they would pay, but a floor when rates came back down. For thousands of mortgage holders it has meant mortgage payments remaining high even as interest rates are low.

Moreover, Ausbanc said the ruling “highlights the cavalier attitude of the Bank of Spain, as in a recent report it determined the clause was not abusive.”

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 12:44 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Wish they would do it in the UK...

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 3:21 PM by brummiedave Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I would imagine this is a question for Maria to answer.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 3:30 PM by gerrycon Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

What would AUSBANC say had rates instead been 10% over the last few years,  but the ceiling on the contract meant that mortgage holders only paid 7%?

There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Quid pro pro and all that.  Read the small print!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 3:48 PM by 198 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I think the point is that Banks set a maximum rate of 20% and a minimum of 7%.  It was set so the change of ever exceeding the maximum were practically 0.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 4:04 PM by gerrycon Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

If the terms were as ridiculous as you say then fair point.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 5:11 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi

The clause you are referring to is called 'Cláusula Suelo' and was included in many Spanish mortgages.

What '198' says is correct.  Many Banks & Savings Banks included this clause in their mortgages in the following way:

For this example let us imagine the mortgage was taken out in 2006 when the Euribor was around 3.5%.  The bank would offer you the mortgage at a 'variable tracker' rate of Euribor + 1%.  So that would mean that initially you would pay interest of 4.5%.

The 'Cláusula Suelo' then included a floor limit or minimum rate of interest that could be charged of say 4.25% and an upper limit of say 11%.

During 2009 and 2010 the Euribor fell to around 1.5%.  So you would think at the rate of Euribor + 1% you would then pay interest of 2.5%.  But no - because at the time the Euribor went lower than 3.25% which was in early 2009 the floor limit or 'Cláusula Suelo' kicked in and your interest rate would be a minimum of 4.25%.

So you would never have the benefit of the low rate of the Euribor.

It is true what 'gerrycon' says - you also had the benefit of an upper limit above which your interest rate could not go..........but as '198' says the upper limit was always set at level at which the Banks thought could never be reached.

So the clause was very much in favour of the Banks and they have been reaping the benefits over the past 2 or 3 years.

Many people probably do not realise they have this clause in their Spanish mortgage.  It is worth checking.

You can use the template letter below to send to your bank to advise them to remove the 'Cláusula Suelo', recalculate the interest charged and credit you with the amount owed.

Maybe ask somebody who understands a little Spanish to help you and fill in the relevant parts of the letter below with your Banks name and the interest rate details etc.  You need to put the address of the Bank and the managers name at the top, fill in the date, enter the minimum rate of interest in the first paragraph where the red dots are, enter the name of your Bank in the 5th paragraph where it is marked in red, put your name and NIE number at the bottom, sign the letter and post it to your bank together with a copy of your latest mortgage statement (for ease of reference).

Good luck and let us know on this thread how you get on.

Kind regards

Keith

CARTA TIPO PARA SOLICITAR LA ELIMINACIÓN DE LA CLÁUSULA DE LÍMITE MÍNIMO DEL TIPO DE INTERÉS Y EL REINTEGRO DE LAS CANTIDADES INDEBIDAMENTE COBRADAS COMO CONSECUENCIA DE LA APLICACIÓN DE LA MISMA.

Banco/ Caja.............

Oficina.............

A/Att.

Sr. Director

En..................., a........ de........... de 2011

Distinguido Sr. Director:

Me dirijo a usted como titular del préstamo/crédito en cuyo contrato la entidad ha incorporado una cláusula de límite mínimo a la variación del tipo de interés aplicable, estableciendo un interés nominal anual mínimo del .... por ciento. A efectos de facilitarles una completa y más rápida identificación, acompaño fotocopia de un recibo de dicho préstamo/crédito.

A este respecto, indicarles que la mencionada cláusula, coloquialmente conocida como “cláusula suelo”, comporta un desequilibrio contractual importante que desvirtúa la esencia misma del contrato de préstamo a interés variable suscrito, que no es otra que el tipo de interés varíe en función de las fluctuaciones del mercado conforme al índice pactado. Con la incorporación de esta cláusula a mi contrato, la variabilidad del tipo de interés pretendida desaparece para convertir al préstamo en la práctica en una operación a interés fijo y que, en todo caso, se utiliza para lograr un incremento artificial del tipo de interés ante las tendencias bajistas del mercado hipotecario, en perjuicio de mis intereses como consumidor y correlativa ganancia de esa entidad como prestamista.

Estas consideraciones, han sido recogidas por la reciente Sentencia del Juzgado de lo Mercantil Número Dos de Sevilla, declarando estas claúsulas suelo abusivas por aplicación del artículo 82 y siguientes del Texto Refundido de la Ley General para la Defensa de los Consumidores y Usuarios, aprobado por Real Decreto Legislativo 1/2007, de 16 de noviembre, y por tanto han sido sancionadas con la nulidad de pleno derecho, debiendo tenerse por no puestas en el contrato.

Los demandantes en dicha acción, representantes de Ausbanc, han solicitado al  Banco de España,  Confederación Española de Cajas de Ahorros (CECA) y  Asociación Española de Banca (AEB) que asuman la Sentencia y obliguen a las entidades financieras a abstenerse de incluir estas prácticas para evitar la presentación de más demandas.

Con anterioridad, el Pleno del Senado aprobó por unanimidad, en fecha 23 septiembre de 2009, una moción del Grupo Parlamentario Popular en la que se reclama al Gobierno la puesta en marcha de medidas que eviten el abuso de algunas entidades bancarias por la aplicación de estas cláusulas, habiéndose iniciado los mecanismos necesarios para ello. Por todo lo expuesto, y dado que lamentablemente el Banco/Caja.......... decidió incorporar en mi contrato de préstamo esta cláusula de límite mínimo de tipo de interés, por medio del presente escrito, LES REQUIERO:

PRIMERO.- La inmediata inaplicación de la cláusula de limitación mínima de la variación del tipo de interés de mi contrato de préstamo/crédito (cláusula suelo), al objeto de que la próxima cuota a satisfacer se calcule conforme al índice de referencia pactado, vigente a la fecha pactada, y con el margen diferencial pactado.

SEGUNDO.- El recálculo de las cuotas satisfechas en el préstamo, desde la fecha de la primera revisión hasta la última cuota abonada, aplicando el tipo de interés de referencia pactado en cada momento y el diferencial pactado. Acto seguido, procedan a abonar en mi cuenta (la misma en la que está domiciliado el abono del préstamo) el importe resultante de la diferencia entre la cantidad abonada por mí conforme a esa cláusula de límite mínimo de tipo de interés y la que realmente hubiera debido abonar sin esa barrera.

TERCERO.- Si pasados 30 días desde la recepción de la presente no obtengo respuesta en contrario por escrito suficientemente razonada, se entenderá que han aceptado la propuesta de inaplicación de la cláusula de suelo, lo que deberá reflejarse en el importe de la próxima cuota, y la devolución de las cantidades indebidamente cobradas que deberán hacerse efectivas sin demora en mi cuenta. En caso de denegarme la legítima petición que formulo a través del presente escrito, me reservo expresamente el ejercicio de las acciones extrajudiciales o judiciales que me correspondan, bien individualmente bien a través de las acciones colectivas que en su caso se ejerciten, y que conllevarán además la solicitud de una indemnización por los daños y perjuicios causados.

Sin otro particular, y a la espera de una respuesta por su parte que confío sea favorable a las pretensiones formuladas -en aras a resolver este contencioso por la vía amistosa, sin acudir a otras vías-, reciba un cordial saludo,

Nombre y domicilio                                                                       Recibido y conforme (sello de la entidad)

NIE  y firma

ANEXO:. Se deberá acompañar de fotocopia de un recibo del préstamo.

LEY 57/1968
CLICK HERE FOR THE BANK GUARANTEES IN SPAIN WEBSITE

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 5:44 PM by 198 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Keith,

That is a excellent post.  Thanks a million for your informative reply.

I have done a bit more searing and I found the bank in the case BBVA have said they intend to appeal the decision but very significantly have stopped issuing mortgages with this clause.

I am with Banco Popular and have a collar at 5%.  I was never told of this when taking out the mortgage, the first I knew of it was after the first year when I expected the rate to fall from the then 6% to 2-3% but was told that although the mortgage is Libor +1 it will never be less than 5%.

Thanks again.

John

Like 0      
30 Oct 2011 11:28 PM by themacallan Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

can anyone say if this applies to CAM mortgages?

Like 0      
31 Oct 2011 10:55 AM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Many Spanish 'variable rate' mortgages included the 'Clausula Suelo' in the small print.  As I mentioned in my post below mortgage holders with this clause included have been unable to take advantage of the low Euribor rate over the past 3 years.

This as an abusive clause.

CAM probably issued mortgages with this clause included in the small print.  You need to check the interest rate you are currently being charged and see if the 'Clausula Suelo' is included in your mortgage terms & conditions.

A facebook group has been set up called:

Eliminación de la Cláusula Suelo de las Hipotecas

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eliminaci%C3%B3n-de-la-Cl%C3%A1usula-Suelo-de-las-Hipotecas/179037445445867

They say:

The 'Clausula Suelo' affects 29% of mortgages. The number of mortgages would hit 3,834,095 in 2008 and the profit earned by the entities would be around 7,000 million euros.

There is also this website:

http://afectadosclausulasuelo.org/

which is defending the rights of consumers with regards to the Clausula Suelo.

They state:

ADICAE is the only one that has been defending the rights of consumers in this issue for the past three years. We now have thousands of consumers who demand the removal of the clause and the repayment of amounts unduly paid to the bank or savings bank.

If you are affected by any of the 56 entities then ADICAE, has until Nov. 11 to deliver the full documentation provided in this website.

See the list of these 56 entities by clicking here:
http://afectadosclausulasuelo.org/faq.php#pregunta_12

Kind regards

Keith

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
31 Oct 2011 12:29 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, ADICAE is doing an excellent job. I do not know if they have english speaking assistants, but they should. Anyhow, I would not have any problem on transfering those documents of you to them and act as a liasion on this.

Tomorrow is a Feast day in Spain.

Kindest regards,

María

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 31/10/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Nov 2011 3:47 PM by themacallan Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

CAM is not responding to requests to provide a copy of my Mortgage agreement  can someone advise what I should do? 

Allan Mackie 

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 4:03 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Clients ombudsman, should be the answer to this.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 6:47 PM by themacallan Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you very much.  Would this be the Ombudsman at the Banco de Espana in Madrid?  

Allan

Like 0      
25 Feb 2012 11:41 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

The infamous “Ground clause” (Clausula Suelo) is declared null and void for being abusive

Banks to give money back to their clients after the infamous “Ground clause” (Clausula Suelo) is declared null and void for being abusive. This will mean an important and immediate saving over the term of the mortgage.

The first sentences have been granted, declaring the so-called “ground clause” - a minimum interest rate that financial institutions apply to many mortgages in order to insulate themselves from possible declines in the Euribor –null and void.

By means of this clause the banks apply a minimum interest rate, despite the fact that the interest rate governing the mortgage is lower.
The sentence pronounced by the Mercantile Court number 2 of Seville declares these clauses null and void for being abusive; specifically the ones applied by the following banks BBVA, Caixa Galicia and Cajamar, since April 12th, the “ground clause” can no longer be put into effect.
All of this could be a chance for those mortgage holders who may have been paying this minimum interest rate, to proceed to demand the refund of the extra money charged. In most cases this would mean thousand of Euros, as well as the disappearance of this minimum rate over the rest of the term.

As a consequence of the said sentence, the affected bankshave requested from the judge an extension of the 2 month period granted in order to give the money back, on the grounds that managing the refund of the extra amounts charged is a “complex process”.
Despite the sentence, the three banks, BBVA, Caixa Galicia and Cajamar, have insisted on the fact that the “ground clause” is a “legal practice”.
Nevertheless the banks will not make any refund unless the client demands it. Any client who wishes to have the refund process started will have to take legal actions.

In the case of BBVA the “ground clause” established a minimum interest rate for its clients of 2, 5%. In Caixa Galicia the minimum was 2, 75%, while in Cajamar 3, 25%.

The evident unbalance between “grounds” and “ceilings” imposed by these banks (BBVA-12%, Caixa Galicia-10% and Cajamar-15%), has been the main reason why this sentence declared these unfair clauses null and void, as they meant a profit for the bank without any reciprocity that could benefit the consumer.

IT’S NOT THE ONLY ONE

This sentence, passed last January 26th and that came into effect on April 12th, is not the only one to declare “ground clauses” as abusive. Last March, the Mercantile Court number 1 of Leon sentenced Caja España to remove the “ground clause” of its mortgages and to refrain from using it in the future, a fact which led to thousand of mortgage loan holders to benefit from important reductions in their following monthly repayments. In the sentence against Caja España, the judge underlined, in addition to the significant unbalance between “ground” and “ceiling”, Caja España’s bad faith to include and impose this clause as part of the general terms and conditions, without allowing the client any possibility of negotiation.

The Banks hid the “ground clause” to 87% of their mortgage holders, according to Facua

The consumers’ association Facua denounces, following a survey carried out among more than 3.200 mortgage holders, that 42% of mortgages include the so-called “ground clause”. In 87% of the cases the Banks did not inform their clients about this clause at the signing of the mortgage. Furthermore, 27% of those polled do not know whether their mortgage includes this clause or not.

The 40% of the mortgage holders declare not to have received full and comprehensive information about the interest rate to be applied to their mortgages, nor about the subsequent revisions before taking out the loan and 55% were not even informed about the commissions and expenses entailed by the signing of their mortgage.

The number of complaints against Banks continues to grow among clients whose mortgages include ground clauses. These complaints are based on the lack of information they received when taking out their mortgages as well on the fact that this clause is considered abusive and imposed by banks.

Source: El Mundo

http://afectadosclausulasuelo.org/#

http://www.ausbanc.es/web/sec57.asp

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
26 Feb 2012 3:37 PM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

Hi keith110,

I found this thread over the Christmas holiday whilst in UK with lots of time to spare. I enlisted a Spanish friend to help with submitting the pro-forma letter and that has been with Solbank for about 3 weeks now. Imagine my excitement to log in this morning and find that on the second link that Solbank have accepted the illegality of the "Clause Sualo" and paid out euro 6000 +. My friend had said that I should be prepared for them to dig their heels in and I had to have a plan to fall back on when the 30 days expires.

My question is since one swallow does not make a summer what is the next step if they do not concede that we have overpaid for 4 years since we have had a floor rate of 4.25% applied for that period and we know that eurobor has been much lower over that time?

Thanks in advance, John.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 2:11 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

Hi John

If Solbank does not respond to your initial letter then you will have to either:

Contact Ausbanc and see if they will contact the bank on your behalf

http://www.ausbanc.es/web/sec57.asp

Contact ADICAE and see if you can join one of their group actions

http://afectadosclausulasuelo.org/# 

Or contact an independent Laywer who specialises in this field and take legal action against Solbank.  Your Lawyer can include relevant Case Law in your Lawsuit.

Maybe María from CostaLuz Lawyers or Guadalupe from GM Legal Experts - both who post on EOS, may be interested to take on these kind of cases.

I am sure there are many people in Spain with the Cláusula Suelo included in their mortgage - many of them probably don't even realise.

In my mind this abusive clause is similar to the PPI mis-selling issue in the UK.  It should be dealt with by the Banco de España and all banks should be forced to remove the floor limit, recalculate all interest paid and refund the amounts charged under the abusive clause.

In many cases the floor limit was set at around 4.25% and the upper limit, which was intended to protect consumers was set at around 11% or 12% and sometimes higher.

Since its inception in 2000 the Euribor has never exceeded 6% and for long periods has remained between 1% and 2%.  Therefore, the floor limits and upper limits set by the Banks created a significant imbalance and were of a clear detriment to the consumerThis is a violation of good faith as these clauses were biased and totally in favour of the Banks.

The floor limits were restrictive and detrimental to the consumer and the upper limits which were designed to 'protect the consumer' were set at a level which were on most occasions more than twice the level that the Euribor has ever reached.

The Euribor is currently around 1.70%.  So on a mortgage sold to you as Euribor + 1% you should be paying an interest rate of 2.70%.  The Banks 'sold' the mortgages with headlines such as Euribor + 0.5%, Euribor + 1% etc.  This was their main selling point - Euribor plus a low differential.  The Cláusula Suelo was never mentioned and only included in the small print.  A clear case of mis-selling.

This is just another abuse of the buyer and home owner in Spain.

BUYER BEWARE

Kind regards

Keith

This message was last edited by Keith110 on 27/02/2012.

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 2:43 PM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Very useful links, Keith, many thanks.

Does anyone know what the situation is with mortgages for which the reference rate is "de cajas" ( as opposed to the Euribor). I know that this is usually higher, but haven't been able to find the historic rate to decide if my bank has moved the goal post.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 3:11 PM by Keith110 Star rating in the UK and I am lead.... 681 posts Send private message

IRPH Cajas - January 2012 - 3.793%

Euribor Media - 1.688%

2008-2009-2010

IRPH Bancos

IRPH Cajas

IRPH Entidades

CECA

Euribor

Diferencia IRPH-Euribor

Octubre 2008

Noviembre 2008

Diciembre 2008

Enero 2009

Febrero 2009

Marzo 2009

Abril 2009

Mayo 2009

Junio 2009

Julio 2009

Agosto 2009

Septiembre 2009

Octubre 2009

Noviembre 2009

Diciembre 2009

Enero 2010

Febrero 2010

Marzo 2010

Abril 2010

Mayo 2010

Junio 2010

Julio 2010

Agosto 2010

Septiembre 2010

Octubre 2010

Noviembre 2010

Diciembre 2010

Enero 2011

Febrero 2011

Marzo 2011

Abril 2011

Mayo 2011

Junio 2011

Julio 2011

Agosto 2011

Septiembre 2011

Octubre 2011

Noviembre 2011

Diciembre 2011

Enero 2012

LEY 57/1968

fpag@btinternet.com

Like 0      
27 Feb 2012 9:37 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

This is very interesting. I had no idea until a couple of years ago that I had a collar on my Caja Murcia mortgage.

I contacted them today with the facts listed below and was told that i was badly misinformed and this was totally legal and I should check it with my lawyers.

I have contacted my lawyer and await their reply.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Cheers, Carl

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tax office Mijas - 7 posts
BMW 316i Compact 1998 Spanish plates LHD - 0 posts
Termites - anyone recommend a company to deal with them? - 4 posts
Car Hire Palma Airport - 0 posts
charges to receive transfer of euros from UK to Spanish bank - 15 posts
Instituto Cervantes already in Gibraltar! - 0 posts
ALICANTE CAR HIRE - 0 posts
Hotels near Madrid Airport - 2 posts
Satalite dish wanted 1.8 or bigger - 0 posts
Divorce in Spain? - 23 posts
Low cost fares from Jet2 - 0 posts
Cheap, reliable car hire Heredades, Formentera, Rojales area? - 2 posts
Bed and Breakfast License - 26 posts
car hire reus airport - 1 posts
changing house insurance - advice/information required please. - 8 posts
Searching for long term rental villa. - 2 posts
Driving London to Malaga via Eurotunnel - 9 posts
Can this be done? - 8 posts
MOTORHOME WANTED - 3 posts
Dart 18 beach catamaran - 2 posts
Hello - 1 posts
UNPAID COMMUNITY FEES - 3 posts
VIALLI´S RESTAURANT PLAYA FLAMENCA VIA PARK 1 - 1 posts
Help with legal forms in Spanish - 4 posts
will there be an embargo on my car - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 50

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x