Bad News for Ryanair - Alicante Flights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Ryanair is to slash capacity between Spain and the UK by withdrawing more than half of its 62 routes from Alicante.

The low-cost airline also plans to reduce the number of aircraft at the airport from 11 to two from October in a row over the cost of facilities.

Routes to be axed include Bournemouth, Cork, Derry and Knock. Frequency will be cut to destinations including Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin, east Midlands, Edinburgh, Leeds/Bradford and Prestwick

You can read more here, courtesy of Globaledge

http://www.globaledge.co.uk/news/ryanair-slashes-budget-flights-44390

s

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 6:38 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

They did the same at MJV last year when the Murcian govenment refused to give them a concession........sadly now said govement has back tracked boo hoo  Somebody needs to teach Michael O'Leary his bullying tactics don't work.......Come on Easyjet take them on.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 6:54 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

The article and comments made by Ryanair are logical but perhaps there is some impact form the potential openning of the airport at Corvera which will have lower landing fees as it is not operated by the natiional operators

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 7:18 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

why is it when Ryanair stop flights because of cost everyone is up in arm Ryanair this Ryanair that

i.e.

They did the same at MJV last year when the Murcian govenment refused to give them a concession........sadly now said govement has back tracked boo hoo  Somebody needs to teach Michael O'Leary his bullying tactics don't work.......Come on Easyjet take them on.
but if everyone read the full story and not the headlines they would see

On 27th of March, EasyJet chief executive Carolyn McCall announced the firm was “going to be very, very tough about routes that aren't working

everyone's cutting costs

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 8:58 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Actually they added back the additional routes at MJV once they got the recession.....they are greedy

This message was last edited by JazII on 06/04/2011.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 9:46 PM by mnj Star rating in L.A. Murcia . 37 posts Send private message

but cannot be beaten for price thats why most flights are full

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 9:58 PM by TheQuietMan Star rating in UK and very occasion.... 535 posts Send private message

Corvera is opening in 2012- low cost airlines will be offered attractive terms it's debatable if they'll need San Javier (Murcia) and if they'll need to have so many routes to Alicante. If Paramount actually happens and everything (at the moment) points to it becoming a reality Corvera will be an airport of choice for airlines at that side of the country. I'm not suggesting they wont use Alicante but I predict a shift.

Tony.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 10:43 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Actually they added back the additional routes at MJV once they got the recession.....they are greedy 

Ooops meant concession obviously 

The only reason they can offer such cheap prices is because of the level of concessions they get from local councils, this gives them an unfair advantage.  I really wish Easyjet had the funds to take them on and squash them

Tony, Yes I agree on the likely switch of traffic to Corvera ;-)

This message was last edited by JazII on 06/04/2011.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 11:48 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"Corvera is opening in 2012- low cost airlines will be offered attractive terms it's debatable if they'll need San Javier (Murcia) and if they'll need to have so many routes to Alicante.  I'm not suggesting they wont use Alicante but I predict a shift."

Part of the original argument for building Corvera was that about 40% of Alicante flights were taken by people going from or to Murcia or beyond and that this traffic would expect to divert to Corvera.  San Javier is first and foremost a Spanish military airbase which is why you don't get commercial flights in the morning.  A further argument for Corvera was the need for the military to have more use of its base and San Javier will become exclusively military when Corvera is fully operational.  What is puzzling is the fact that both have added a further runway since Corvera was approved.  The joys of regional government as opposed to central government control!  Result? A massive waste of public money.

The thing about Ryanair is that you either love em or you hate em. Jezll obviously hates them and therefore finds any opportunity to moan.  But the reality is that Ryanair are pulling flights from Alicante precisely because they are strong enough to be able to take on the airport authority who have unilaterally decided that Ryanair must use passenger bridges for which they will be charged two million pounds a year and which are quite unnecessary and have not been used in the past.  It is monopoly pricing and it is they who are the bullies with Ryanair standing up to them.  The action by the airport almost certainly breaches European competition law on abuse of dominant market position and Michael O'Leary has right on his side.  My money is on Alicante backing down the same way that Murcia did.  And who benefits?  Us passengers of course with lower fares. Ryanair are the cheapest for flights almost all the time; their punctuality record is bettered by no-one.  77 million passenger journeys last year makes them the world's favourite airline.

Moan all you like Jezll.  Michael O'Leary is a genius.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 9:08 AM by Jimbothescot Star rating in Urcal,Huercal Overa,.... 41 posts Send private message

I quite agree Jek,O`leary is a very astute businessman. Everytime he opens his mouth and makes a statement it creates publicity and there is no such a thing as bad publicity in his game.Even if it`s controversial,it gets everyone talking about his airline.

Easyjet just can`t match his prices anymore.

I`ve just booked a return from Alicante to Bournemouth for €64 return to fly my helper back to the UK.

I come off ferry at Portsmouth and drive down to Bournemouth and pick him up at the airport. If the helper was travelling with me on the ferry from Bilbao or Santander,then Brittany Ferries charge me €150 each way for the 2nd man.

So keep up the good work Ryanair.

Jimbo

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 9:51 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I operate on a site close to the Corvera Airport and where some management live plus of course the area from which they are recruiting.

One key point is that this new airport, which is developing now very quickly with the roads and infrastructure, is not operated by AENA and not bound by their terms

Many of the recent strike problems were as a result of the demands of the AENA staff looking for new terms and employment protection prior to any sell off and this significantly increased their operational costs

The recruitment drive has already started for the airport and the contract terms for staff are very different, long term contracts are not being offered and in any area where there is very high unemployment there is no lack of applicants

It is expected that the operational costs and landing rates will therefore be far lower than Alicante or san Javier

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 11:25 AM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

I'm in the strange position of agreeing 100% with Jek on this...think I'll go and lie down in a darkened room and maybe it will wear off :-)

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 12:37 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

I looked at Ryanair yesterday, but they charge £60.00 per person per bag (20kg)!!.  For a family of 4 that's just crazy. I really hope the greedy pig O'leary does go bust if this is how he treats customers. I have used Ryanair in the past, but I will avoid them at all costs now and will advise everyone I talk to to do the same.   With baggage included, easyjet and BMI baby were a better deal anyway (easyjet £20.00 per bag). I detest this sort of greed from a company making huge profits. They could still be profitable without ripping people off.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 1:10 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

This message was last edited by fpegman on 10/04/2011.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 2:13 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Good old O'Leary really knows how to generate publicitiy, doesn't he?  I don't mind it when I'm on board as they are all the same, including overpriced sarnies etc.  I do detest Ryanair on the ground, though, as I think their ground staff are the worst of the lot.  However, for a couple of hours, I can put up with them because of the prices.  Yes, the "no taxes" on some flights are great but negated by the £6 "online booking fee" and the £2 "delay charge" for each leg of the flight which adds £56 for two on a return flight.  However, flights in May with Ryanair from East Midlands are £96 including all the charges, with BMIBaby it is £175 and Jet2 are £165.  The difference pays for car hire for the week.  If I were taking hold luggage I would probably look at it again but with just cabin baggage there is no contest.

On the original subject, Alicante is only using Terminal 3 for the moment and I have been told you can't walk to the plane as the holding area is too far away so you are stuck with the walkway or using a bus (which I hate).  O'Leary will probably get concessions to keep him there.  

The best system I saw was at Washington where they have a travelling lounge.  A big vehicle turns up, attaches itself to the side of the plane and everyone gets onto that for the trip to the terminal.  Very quick (a lounge at each door) and the lounge is on hydraulics so it moves up and down.  Advantage is that wheelchair passengers also use the same system so there is no waiting.  Probably too expensive for the Costa airports but really worked.  

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 3:34 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I booked flights for May/June with Easyjet and paid £135.48.  I thought this was steep until I read this thread.  This includes Hold baggage £25 and debit card charges.  So maybe not so bad after all for a late booking.  I fly from Stansted.

I thought they were using the new terminal at Alicante and terminals 1 & 2 are closed for a refit.  Not sure which car parks are in operation, new, old or a combination of the two.  Will find out more when I talk to my yearly car parking firm as to where I pick up my car from.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 6:07 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"I looked at Ryanair yesterday, but they charge £60.00 per person per bag (20kg)!!. " Goodstitch had you been at the grape juice when you went online?  Ryanair charge €/£25 for a 20kg hold bag and €/£15 for a 15kg bag. Which is no different from any other airline.

bobaol:  I think your numbers need looking at too.  And I don't care about the breakdown.  I ignore the top band and get the total price on the same page.  Bottom line is that it is cheapest 95% of the time.

Hammersfan:  I'm gonna have to lie down too if this really is a case of a Hammers fan seeing sense.  I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon - possibly even while you're still a Premier League club

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 6:30 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Can't see why my "numbers" need looking at.

Online booking fee at £6 each leg for 2 =£24

Admin (credit card) fee at £6 each leg for 2 = £24

New fee for cancel and delay = £2 each leg for 2 = £8

Total charges are £56 as I said.

The no tax flight is actually £39.96 for two  Total cost including fees is £95.96

As I said, still the cheapest.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 6:38 PM by CostaChris Star rating in Yorkshire and Arroyo.... 38 posts Send private message

I use Ryanair around once a month to fly between Leeds and Malaga. Most flights out of the summer season work out at around £40-£50 return per person. I have no baggage, I've bought a lightweight bag exactly 55x40x20cms. I have researched and have a pre-paid mastercard so there are no additional fees. I always buy a bottle of water at the airport after security and would never consifder making any purchases whilst on board.

I recently had 1,200 loyalty points with Jet2 which entitled me to a fee flight. By the time I had finished with add on's (still no baggage just taxes and charges) the free flight was going to cost me £88 return. The same with Ryanair worked out at £48!

We were hit by both the volcanic ash cloud and general strike cancellations last year whilst with Ryanair. They offerred easy re-bookable flights which delayed our return to the UK by a few days but we have our own place so who cares. We've been delayed by snow and diverted by fog and always had excellent service from Ryanair. Personally, I can't fault them.

I know it's all a game. I call it O'Leary's game. He sets the rules and you have to fit what he wants. Fast turnarounds, no lugage and compliant customers he can hoarde on and off. It's making milions and lots of people are getting very cheap, short haul flights. It seems that if it fits fine. If you don't like it he's quite happy for you to take your business elsewhere. A strange business model but one that works.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 7:41 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jek

check it out yourself.  Ryanair Stanstead to Bodrum July/ August is £60.00 per 20kg luggage or £40.00 for 15kg. Easyjet £20.00 for 20kg.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

House prices - 9 posts
COLLAR ON MORTGAGE VOID - 49 posts
Tax office Mijas - 7 posts
BMW 316i Compact 1998 Spanish plates LHD - 0 posts
Termites - anyone recommend a company to deal with them? - 4 posts
Car Hire Palma Airport - 0 posts
charges to receive transfer of euros from UK to Spanish bank - 15 posts
Instituto Cervantes already in Gibraltar! - 0 posts
ALICANTE CAR HIRE - 0 posts
Hotels near Madrid Airport - 2 posts
Satalite dish wanted 1.8 or bigger - 0 posts
Divorce in Spain? - 23 posts
Low cost fares from Jet2 - 0 posts
Cheap, reliable car hire Heredades, Formentera, Rojales area? - 2 posts
Bed and Breakfast License - 26 posts
car hire reus airport - 1 posts
changing house insurance - advice/information required please. - 8 posts
Searching for long term rental villa. - 2 posts
Driving London to Malaga via Eurotunnel - 9 posts
Can this be done? - 8 posts
MOTORHOME WANTED - 3 posts
Dart 18 beach catamaran - 2 posts
Hello - 1 posts
UNPAID COMMUNITY FEES - 3 posts
VIALLI´S RESTAURANT PLAYA FLAMENCA VIA PARK 1 - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x