Commuting from the UK.....anyone doing it?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 May 2007 12:00 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

Has anyone had any experience in commuting from the UK to Spain that they can share, advantages, disadvantages... the real stress of catching so many flights etc. Its all very well talking about it but has anyone actually walked the walk?

We realise a job in Spain will be less money but commuting sounds like a whole load of stress.

Thanks

This message was last edited by tinasolera on 5/7/2007.

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:12 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
Hi

I must admit this is what i am considering as well it seems to be a good idea whilst cheap flights are available.

All comes down to travel time delays  etc.

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:18 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Have look further down the Workin in Spain thread.

One called Average wages in Spain/Commuting to Uk... Some question answered there for you.

Regards

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:36 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

oh yes... i was looking for that and couldnt see it first time around. thanks! still more experiences needed!!

thanks

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
07 May 2007 10:43 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

Hi Tina

Commuting may seem an obvious solution but my advice is to give it some serious thought before embarking on this course of action unless it's just for the short term. Apart from the heartache of missing your spouse, and the tiring time spent travelling, my friends who commute have found it very unsettling for their children. During the week Mum struggles to maintain a routine, coping as a single parent with the day-to-day running of the household, and with the discipline, schooling and transport issues that kids bring. At the weekend the dynamics change completely when Dad returns to the fold in holiday mode, wanting to wind down and treat the children after his time away. They vie for his attention and behave appalingly! It can be extremely disruptive to family life; indeed, friends of mine have been taken to the brink of a nervous breakdown by this experience.

Having said that, it's a wonderful life here and if you're young, energetic and not too highly strung you might find a way of making it work! I'm sure you'll make a great success of your move and wish you the best of luck.

Rose

Like 0      
08 May 2007 8:44 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi Rose

many thanks for that. Thats the reason I asked because i dont think it will be as easy as it all sounds. I was thinking last night it takes a good year to settle, how will the kids and I achieve that if hubby is commuting we will miss him so much. It needs more thought. Thanks for shraing that with me... I was hoping for a bit of reality on this...... much appreciated!

Thanks Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
08 May 2007 10:41 AM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

Hi Tina

I didn't want to put a dampener on things but the reason for moving to Spain is to improve your quality of life and I've seen women with young children struggling to make a life here whilst their husbands are commuting. Some friends are seriously considering moving back to the UK because they find the strain too much. Apart from the mental and physical stress it's costing about €20,000 per year in air fares and taxis/car hire to and from the airport, plus the cost of maintaining two homes.

I hope you can find a way of getting your family over here but you're doing the right thing by exploring all avenues beforehand. You can never have too much information!

Rose

Like 0      
08 May 2007 1:49 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

HI Rosi

No you havnt put a dampner on things. I asked becuase I wanted to hear what people have been through trying to commute as deep myself i know that it would be stressful. We know spanish wages are much lower but happy family life and being together is by far the most important thing..... not money. I couldnt stop thinking about it last night. Thanks for posting I needed to hear what you had to say. Thanks

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

For Emma - 2 posts
my penthouse in casares for your london flat - 0 posts
my penthouse in casares for your london flat - 4 posts
nursing in spain - 2 posts
Habitation licence - 56 posts
Wanted - New or nearly new, King Size bed/frame - 14 posts
Community Rules - 13 posts
Community Questions - 4 posts
spanish bank accounts - 38 posts
Radio Phones - 8 posts
URBANIZATION COMMITTEE - SNAGGING BEFORE HANDOVER OF ALL AREAS TO COMMUNITY COMMITTEE - 10 posts
Buyer wants your thoughts - 4 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Bank Accounts - 22 posts
Done the deed!!!! - 7 posts
HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
EXCITING NEWS FOR THE REMORTGAGE/EQUITY RELEASE MARKET - 4 posts
Hope The Thieves in Spain don't hear about THIS gem - 0 posts
MAY 4TH BE WITH YOU! - 0 posts
Envious future owners at torre alcantara vincent & brona - 37 posts
General poll on buying Property - 9 posts
EVERYONE - Please read this, very important - 7 posts
Man and Van Wanted UK - Murcia - 7 posts
Spanish Law On Disabled Access To Communal Swimming Pools - 17 posts
E-learning Spanish - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x