spanish bank accounts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2007 12:00 AM by strooddave Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I opened an account with Banco Popular  whilst in spain last summer I only 'invested' 50 euros intending to top it up on line when I returned home.I forgot all about it on returning home but at regular intervals got a statement with a deduction for some service or other ,by jan this year it had dwindled to 13 euros so I wrote and canclled the account ,my letter was never answered ! so on my next visit this march I went into a branch where they checked the account status it was zero!! Ithe moral of this story is your cash would be safer in an old biscuit tin than deposit with the renamed Banco Unpopular!

Like 0      
05 May 2007 5:18 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Strood Dave

Unfortunately, all spanish banks have annual charges, you won't be able to avoid them!

We have a joint account  with Bankinter and get charged 22€ per person every 2 years, as a Non Resident fee.

We also get charged an admin of 22€ on the a/c annually.

Also, if you have a cash card, there is a 12 charge per card per year.

So, I can see how your few Euros dwindled to nothing!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
05 May 2007 9:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I noticed Barclays are advertising a new account specially designed for ex-pats, offering all sorts of services that you'll probably never need (everything in fact except free, efficient banking). The cost is "only" €7 a MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very important to read all the small print from your Spanish bank, to avoid nasty shocks - as Fibby says, they all make charges that are unheard of in the UK. Be warned!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 May 2007 10:27 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar
It could be worth investigating Banco Halifax as I believe they don't charge if you keep a balance of 500 euros in your account. Check it out though, as this may have changed.

Like 0      
23 May 2007 1:28 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
I bank with Halifax Banco Hispania and I have never been charged, also when I transfer money from the UK to Spain there is no charge as I have a Halifax account in the UK. But I have to say, the exchange rate is not as good as some others on the day.

Like 0      
23 May 2007 7:18 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar
Halifax Banco Hispania require 600 euros minimum in the account otherwise a range of charges are applicable.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
23 May 2007 7:21 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
What range of charges are applicable?

Like 0      
23 May 2007 9:42 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

They charge for withdrawals from cash machine, cash transfers, account administration charges, and annual charge for account.

Probably some more they think up as well.

Brian

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
23 May 2007 11:37 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
Can't really comment on all of your points, but I always use Servired for withdrawing cash and I have never been charged for this, and I have been under €600.00.

Like 0      
24 May 2007 4:58 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

Well done Patman, if you haven't been charged. I have the Banks pack in front of me and charges are laid out.

I would advise you to keep checking your account to be assured of this as these charges can be made on a quarterley/half yearly or annual basis.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
24 May 2007 7:26 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
By an amazing coincidence I received a letter today from the Halifax. It was advertising the Halifax Xtra account for Banco Halifax Hispania and it states that if you go under the €600.00 you won't be charged. There is a charge however of €25.00 per year to become a member of the Halifax Club which I was planning to do anyway as they can help in lots of ways from translators when you  have need eg, If you have been burgled to just getting you a taxi home from a good night out. I was in a similar club which was very good and helped me enormously when I first bought with regard to NIE numbers, air-con, furnishing, white goods etc. but they charged €110.00 per year. Maybe it's because I didn't have an Xtra account that I haven't been charged?

Like 0      
24 May 2007 8:49 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

Well Patman, it all sounds very confused doesn't it?

Mine is a current account, and it says;-

"If you keep an average balance of 600 euros or more in the account during the previous six months no maintainance fee is charged. If your average balance drops below 600 euros a fee of 18 euros is payable every six months" 

I suppose the clue is in the "average" and how they work it out! As I said it worth keeping an eye on your account in case charges appear.

The Extra Account sounds interesting I will enquire about this for myself if it's only 25 euros per year.

Regards

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
25 May 2007 12:32 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
San Miguel, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's the average balance that is key. Re. The Xtra account, try these links:

For a free information pack

Tel: 0845 600 3603
Visit: http://www.halifax.es

Good Luck!

Like 0      
25 May 2007 10:02 AM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

Glad we sorted that out Patman, seems clearer now.

Thanks for the info, appreciated

Regards

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 5:01 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

can anyone help, we currently have a spanish bank account with bankinter, we have received from them  2 statements showing a charge for "commission non resident certificate renewal" charge 20 euros plus taxes of 3-20euros each sstatement`, they have taken 46euros-40cents from our account, has anyone any idea what this is, someone with bankinter may be able to advise, we have phoned them but the line is either busy or someone will call us back but am still waiting, I have resorted to sending them e=mails but again no reply as yet. we cannot get over to spain till sept so any replies would be appreciated.

coolyes

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 6:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

With virtually every Spanish bank, Bankinter included, you pay an amount for being a non resident for each person named on the a/c every two years  I know ours with Cambank was almost 18 euros each a year ago.  We changed to Halifax ES as they don't charge anything for the non residency document. Also BankInter will charge an amount every three months for maintenance of your a/c. (With Cambank it was around 6 euros a quarter.) BankInter will also charge for your debit cards, as Cambank did, we paid 6 euros a year. It all adds up, doesn't it ? (Especially where you have a joint a/c ! ) Again, Halifax ES charge nothing as long as you keep 600 euros generally in your a/c. They only charge 3 euros annually for a debit card.

Trusting this response enlightens you.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/7/2007.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 4:57 PM by salsy29 Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Can someone please advise on a bank in  Casares (costa del sol) area. Reading the posts it appears Halifax is a good bank but I dont know where Halifax branches are sited. Ideally I'm looking for a bank in the casares ,manilva, duquesa area which is English speaking & online banking. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2007 5:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Salsy

Look at http://www.halifax.es/halifaxing/halifax/halifax1.asp?sec=halifax  (you just had to type "Banco Halifax branches" into Google BTW ! )

Seems Banco Halifax only have these branches down near you.

Málaga Alameda de Colón, 9.
29001 Málaga
malaga@halifax.es
Calvario, 6.
29600 Marbella
marbella@halifax.es
Bonanza, 70.
29631 Arroyo de la Miel. Benalmádena
benalmadena@halifax.es
Héroes del Dos de Mayo, 2.
29640 Fuengirola
fuengirola@halifax.es
Urb. Costa del Oro, local 4.
29793 Torrox Costa
torrox@halifax.es
C.C. Guadalmina, 4.
29670 Guadalmina
guadalmina@halifax.es
C.C. Los Olivos. Urb. Finca de Calahonda.
29649 Calahonda. Mijas Costa
calahonda@halifax.es

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/14/2007.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2007 4:33 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

hi, can anyone help, My husband and I have received a letter each from our spanish bank, re money we have put into our account, with the letter is a form entitled DECLARACION DE RESIDENCIA FISCAL-DECLARATION OF TAX RESIDENCE. the letter staes that deduction of tax can be prevented in part or in its entirety if we are able to provide the bank with a declaration of fiscal residency or alternatively a certificate of fiscal residency issued by the fiscal authorities in our country, we do not understand this as we only put money into the bank to pay for our apartment and now only have a few hudred euros in the account which we are actually going to close shortly, any replies would be very much appreciated.

coolyes

Like 0      
03 Oct 2007 7:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Normally each person named on a Spanish bank a/c has to pay around 18 euros, depends on bank, every two years if they're a non resident . Banco Halifax do not charge but Cambank charged us around 17.60 euros each, that's partly why we changed.

You asked this on 06 Jul 2007 5:01 PM in this thread & I answered you then, too.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/3/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Radio Phones - 8 posts
URBANIZATION COMMITTEE - SNAGGING BEFORE HANDOVER OF ALL AREAS TO COMMUNITY COMMITTEE - 10 posts
Buyer wants your thoughts - 4 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Bank Accounts - 22 posts
Done the deed!!!! - 7 posts
HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
EXCITING NEWS FOR THE REMORTGAGE/EQUITY RELEASE MARKET - 4 posts
Hope The Thieves in Spain don't hear about THIS gem - 0 posts
MAY 4TH BE WITH YOU! - 0 posts
Envious future owners at torre alcantara vincent & brona - 37 posts
General poll on buying Property - 9 posts
EVERYONE - Please read this, very important - 7 posts
Man and Van Wanted UK - Murcia - 7 posts
Spanish Law On Disabled Access To Communal Swimming Pools - 17 posts
E-learning Spanish - 0 posts
Senior Account Manager - Madrid - 3 posts
How to get to NAPLES? - 17 posts
have the agents been wiped out in the property war - 162 posts
Crash in Spanish Property Market - 25 posts
The Real Criminals - 0 posts
Spa Valley, I need some info. - 2 posts
Angel de Miraflores - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 1 posts
Radiation in the area - 38 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x