opinions

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Apr 2010 7:30 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Roberto, absolutely MAGIC!!!

Boy, did that clip bring back memories, or what? Mind you, it was also a reality check. I used to jive like the couple in the audience!

Now, the arthritis kicks in, so I keep taking the tablets!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 8:57 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Thank you Roberto!  What a great start to the day - am smiling as i leave for work - more please.

Jane

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 11:21 AM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

I'm pleased this thread has put a smile on some peoples faces, that's more like it.

The threads on this forum that anoy me are the ones with people wanting to move here, with next to no money and not speaking spanish. ''Where can we rent a flat for nothing and get a job'' I just want to say '' Wake up you loons!'' I don't bother, they'll find out.

Happy April fools day.

Take care, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 12:09 PM by Rosa Fay Star rating in Edinburgh. 31 posts Send private message

Ah, the power of music!  In the words of the poet (Keats, I think), "On with the dance, let joy be unconfined!"

Happy Easter, everyone.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 12:41 PM by esteban19120 Star rating. 182 posts Send private message

esteban19120´s avatar

I would like to say, to all the nice people on this site. well done, keep up the good work.

To all the bad ones, next time you want to  post bad things sit on here, sit on ur thumbs instead.

You will prob like it.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 4:08 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

what a shower of escapists!!!!!!!!!!

what could you trust them with?????????

not world order surely..........

still things aren't so good now are they?????????

dare we give them a try????????

why not????

not sure about loving that Alan bloke, but the rest strikes a chord.

not sure about Pilgrim's all politicians but very few appeal.

still if I can't take a risk at my age, when can I.

That's it I vote for Febe but I don't want anyones children thanks.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 4:29 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

A great thread Febe, nice to get the forum back on track and enjoyable again.

Love................  Counting down the days to our next trip to Spain.

My job, Love it

My family and friends

Hate..............   Although I'm welsh, I don't speak the language . But my real pet hate is the welsh speakers that have a conversation with you and then prattle off in welsh between themselves, find it sooooooo rude, but just wondered if anyone could answer as to why they do it?????

Right off to be rounded up and shot, don't like marmite

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 4:40 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Last two posts made me laugh out loud.

I think we should give a nick-name to any one who posts an unnecessarily (gosh, thats a big word for me, I had to look it up!) hurtful, unkind or ranting sort of post. I have a picture in my head of these people sitting at their computers with steem comming out of their ears. It put me in mind of Victor Meldrew. ''I don't believe it!'', so how about saying ''stop being a Meldrew''

Or am I just asking for trouble here? What do you think?

Another love....Pimms.

Take care, Febe

Ps. I've already got 3 kids of my own, I think I've done enough to over populate the world! Maybe I should get myself off to the vets!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 4:45 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Marmite - Gina - you don't like Marmite?????  How could you!   Don't need to count down the days - i'm off tomorrow and so soooooo glad I am.  Forecast was rain all week, but checked again yesterday and it now says sun, sun and more sun.

Favourite - playing in the waves at Playa Higuericas (my beach) and drinking Mojitos in the beach bar - heaven on earth.  Roll on summer.

Jane

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 4:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Love: computer spell checkers.

Hate: English words (like altruistic) that I have to look up in a dictionary making me feel stupid.

Love: being able to communicate with someone who speaks NO English, in their language.

Hate: not being better at foreign languages; Dutch people who speak English better than wot I do.

Love: finding great vids on Youtube that make you guys smile:

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 5:04 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Febe, I would answer "THE" post if I knew what it was on about LOL.

Have a great time Jane, missing eachother by a couple of weeks. Those mojitos you introduced me to are lethal . Hope the sun shines everyday for you.

Happy Easter all

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 6:38 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Candyfloss,

Whats a mojitos? Sounds like some kind of biting insect to me!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 6:47 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto,

Sorry I forgot to say the u tube bits are great.

Regards, Febe

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 6:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hemmingway's tipple

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 6:56 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

And that's 'Hemingway' with one 'm'.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 7:05 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Roberto,

What on earth was in that glass?

Sandra,

Here's one spelling/gramma thing thats bugged me for years........

Febes pain in the but. Febe HAS (belonging to Febe) a pain in the but.

Febe's pain in the but. Febe IS a pain in the but.

Is that right? You use an '  for the i in IS.

So what do you do if the name ends with an S, such as Candyfloss. Not that I'm saying Candyfloss is or has a pain in the but, just the frist name I thought of!

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 8:07 PM by Rosa Fay Star rating in Edinburgh. 31 posts Send private message

Hello, Febe,

I think "butt" with the double consonant is correct here (unlike Hemingway with one) but I'm sure you're not a pain in one, anyway!

With an ex-English teacher's hat on, I can say, yes, the apostrophe is used to show a letter is missing (see "I'm and "you're" above).  However, the apostrophe is also used to show ownership ie, the girl's book =the book of the girl.  If the owners are plural, however, the apostrophe goes after the -s-, ie the girls' books=the books of the girls.  If the owner word is plural but doesn't end in -s-, ie children, people, the apostrophe goes before the -s-, as if the owner is singular, ie the children's toys.

I hope that answers your question without being overly pedantic (a long word for me at this time of day)!

I'm sure if I've made the odd typo here, someone will point it out to me.

Best wishes,

Rosa Fay

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 8:34 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hello Rosa Fay,

I think I'm with you so far, however, what happens if the owner is sigular but (not butt, sorry!) ends with an -s-?

ie: Febe's going to the shops. Febe IS going to the shops.

Febes shoes. The shoes of Febe.

Chris's going the the shops........?. That just looks wrong. Chris IS going to the shops.

Chris' shoes. The shoes of Chris. But Chris is sigular not plural.

I'm still not getting this am I?  I do try, I'm very trying!  And yes I think I am a pain in the butt. (I'm also not sure you are suposed to start a sentance with 'and', still never mind, I won't be a Meldrew if you are'nt.

I don't think you are being pedantic in any way, you are being very helpfull.

Thank you.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 8:35 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

What about the use of apostrophes with personal pronouns? I think I've got it write hear correct? 

pain in the dog's butt (pain in the butt of the dog)

pain in its butt (pain in the butt of it)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2010 8:37 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Rosa Fay,

although I try to speak, spell and write correctly and I ought to, having spent some 49 years in the graphic arts world, I did not know the "singular," "plural" rule with regard to apostrophes!

You are never too old to learn.

As an aside, I notice that many people seem to spell the word "lose" as "loose", which to me has an entirely different meaning.

One other annoyance is the practice of using "till" instead of the abbreviation for "until", which of course is " ´til". I try to explain that "till" is a cash register but I guess with enough use the misspelling will be accepted as the norm?

pilgrim

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

AGM Agenda - 7 posts
Car spray paint - 9 posts
Endesa Online help - 7 posts
Habitation certificates are imminent - 4 posts
I've just had another birthday (29th March, not 29th birthday!) - 4 posts
Advise on property purchase in duquesa - 17 posts
Justin and Maria - 2 posts
Girlfriend Wanted - 23 posts
Helldorado on BBC1 tonight (Wales only) - 15 posts
Furniture & Fittings of a 2 bedroom apartment For Sale - 0 posts
Internet connection - 1 posts
Low cost airline Edinburgh to Barcelona - 1 posts
Interesting programmes on SKY TV - 1 posts
No Weather this Week? - 1 posts
Working in Altea - 2 posts
In need of help!!! - 5 posts
Large quantity of baby boy clothes - 0 posts
Places to Visit - Costa Blanca - 0 posts
IVF in Spain - 0 posts
Demolitions appeal accepted - 3 posts
driving from barcelona to cartagena - 1 posts
Is Spain finally moving out of recession? - 24 posts
Easter processions Malaga - 7 posts
Signing title deeds for a property in Spain - 6 posts
Awning for sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 85

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x