In need of help!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by amylouise07 Star rating in The UK currently. 4 posts Send private message

Hello everyone, my partner and I are planning to move to Altea together soon.  We are from the UK but my partner currently is living in Altea.  We are in need of some help from anyone who knows where/how we go about finding work? If anyone knows of any good websites-anything at all, it would be greatly appreciated! To my knowledge, it seems to be quite difficult finding jobs in the town and surrounding area. 

Thanks!

Amy

Like 0      
30 Mar 2010 2:19 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Hi Amy

Don´t want to put a damper on things, but what a lot of people don´t understand is that Spain has more unemployment then the u.k.

Also the Spanish look after their own first

If you have a skill can speak the lingo fluent it may help or if you are looking to go self employed i think you have to find that very special niche that nobody is doing, but be warned if you do something and you are not paying in to the system they will come down hard on you.Also being self employed look at how much you have to pay out every month taxes IVA Assesor fees etc it´s not cheap over here .

Also be aware that depending on where you live you cant run a business from your home.

Also if you have proffesional certificates from the u.k you should get these translated into spanish and certificates will be issued, but do they do say that you will get a lesser grade  certifcate then the u.k, (though i have never heard of anybody doing this) also registring your proffesional certificates can depending on your proffesion could take up to a year to get.

Of course this all depends on what you want to do.

I know in our town the police are having a crack down on companys where they are going into companys and asking to see workers contracts NIE´s in bars they are looking to see if people handling food have the correct spanish certificates to do this work.

So all the best and let ALL of us know how it´s going

Nitram

Like 0      
30 Mar 2010 3:10 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Amy, things are REALLY tough in Spain at the moment and jobs are like gold dust.

If you do a seach for "jobs in spain" or "jobs in altea" in Google you will get some results there but don't hold your breath.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Mar 2010 4:45 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Totally agree with Justin,sorry to dampen your dreams,very, very hard to find work at the moment. 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2010 5:28 PM by amylouise07 Star rating in The UK currently. 4 posts Send private message

Hi everyone, thankyou for the responses.  I already had an idea that it would be like that.  I am trying to see is I can pick up some bar/restaurant work in Altea/surrounding area for the time being until we can sort of find our feet.  I have been looking into taking an English teaching course eventually but for now we just want to save some money so we can get a place to live and then once we have ticked certain boxes, we can go from there.  Does anyone know of anywhere that might be hiring for the summer in Altea?  If there is any other info anyone can offer it would be greatly appreciated.  I am just trying to get as much info as possible before we make any decisions!  Also.......does anyone know exactly what the average weekly wage is in that area?  Or if there are any useful websites (aside from this one, ofcourse) that might be able to open our eyes up a bit?  I have been looking, I just wondered if anyone else could enlighten me!  Thankyou again all

Amy

Like 0      
30 Mar 2010 6:37 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Amy - as everyone else has said, jobs are very hard to find. 

The Spanish are not into the internet in the way we are used to, so I doubt you will get anything that way.  You will need to be here in person and try every bar and restaurant and see if they are hiring for the summer - but you will probably be paid off in September so be prepared for that.  The free local papers do have a few jobs in them - they are mostly commission only sales jobs but you could give that a try too.  I think wages are around about 5€ per hour.

I think that this is the biggest issue for expats at the moment, and we can only hope that we get a decent summer season to stop even more shops and bars closing down.

Good luck with your search and be prepared to take anything on offer - within reason of course!! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Large quantity of baby boy clothes - 0 posts
Places to Visit - Costa Blanca - 0 posts
IVF in Spain - 0 posts
Demolitions appeal accepted - 3 posts
driving from barcelona to cartagena - 1 posts
Is Spain finally moving out of recession? - 24 posts
Easter processions Malaga - 7 posts
Signing title deeds for a property in Spain - 6 posts
Awning for sale - 0 posts
Automatic Translation Tool - 2 posts
Recommended Hotels from Malaga to Bilbao - 1 posts
need a decorator with 35 yrs experience: - 0 posts
Uploading Documents into Communities - 4 posts
Sell my timeshare - 4 posts
Coffee Break Spanish - 1 posts
Website to check if you have any speeding or parking tickets in Spain - 2 posts
Raise cash payable on sale of property - 4 posts
Exchange property - 1 posts
Kevin - 1 posts
Clocks Forward - 0 posts
Time change? - 1 posts
buganvillas iv garrucha - 0 posts
buganvillas iv garrucha - 0 posts
Inland landlines and adsl - 2 posts
Hellish Landlords! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x