Signing title deeds for a property in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by gcsom Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi. I know this is legal stuff, but I'm not looking for a precise answer, it's just a general question about actually signing the documentation.

My wife and I are co-signaturies along with my father in-law on a Spanish property. We have no financial interest in the property and recently he has now decided that he wants us off the title deeds. I have no problem with that, but he assures us that we must sign the documentation in the Spanish solicitor's office. I however don't fancy losing several days off work and the expense of travelling to Spain just to sign a piece of paper.

So my question is, would it be possible to have the documentation Fed-Ex'd across to be signed in the UK or could we just give his solicitor a limited power of attourney to sign on our behalf?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 2:22 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - if you don't want to travel to Spain to sign the documents then you need to arrange a Power of Attorney - either to the lawyer or to anyone else.  You can arrange this through the Spanish Consulate in the UK and then have the documents sent to Spain, but you need to allow a few weeks for it all to be organised.

Hope that helps.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 2:39 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

You don't even need to go to the Spanish Consulate. Find a local Notary and they will do everything on your behalf. Get quotes though, as they can differ significantly on cost.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 3:07 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

If you are going to do a power of attorney, make sure it is valid in Spain. It needs to be apostilled!

If you do it at the consulate this is not needed.

Joan

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 4:21 PM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

I have done a similar sort of thing recently.

The procedure was that a contract/document/power of attorney in Spanish and English was sent by my abogado to the UK.

It was taken by the signatory to a Notary (You'll find one on the Notaries Society web site), signed in his presence, witnessed and stamped. - Cost around £50

The signatory then took it to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes and had it 'notarised' with an Apostille attached.(This part can be done by post but takes longer - personal visit done same day) Cost about £30 I think,  If you go on the F & C Office web site it gives you full information.

The completed document was then returned to Spain 'signed for postage/courier'

Job Done

Sounds complicated but was fairly easy.

Hope that helps

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 5:37 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I did a similar exercise, however the notary sent the document to the Spanish Consulate for the Apostille. I picked it up from the notary one week after first visiting him. I then took the POA personally to Spain, as I was going out anyway, but knew I couldn't be there for contract exchange. Cost me less than £80 all in, and as you say Maylin, it was a painless procedure.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2010 11:43 PM by gcsom Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies.

I should be able to sort something out from the information given.

Gary

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Awning for sale - 0 posts
Automatic Translation Tool - 2 posts
Recommended Hotels from Malaga to Bilbao - 1 posts
need a decorator with 35 yrs experience: - 0 posts
Uploading Documents into Communities - 4 posts
Sell my timeshare - 4 posts
Coffee Break Spanish - 1 posts
Website to check if you have any speeding or parking tickets in Spain - 2 posts
Raise cash payable on sale of property - 4 posts
Exchange property - 1 posts
Kevin - 1 posts
Clocks Forward - 0 posts
Time change? - 1 posts
buganvillas iv garrucha - 0 posts
buganvillas iv garrucha - 0 posts
Inland landlines and adsl - 2 posts
Hellish Landlords! - 1 posts
HD satellite receiver - Freesat - For Sale - 0 posts
BBQ for sale (gas) - 0 posts
Payment from abroad for residential or domestic care needs in Spain - 1 posts
TV in Spain - 5 posts
Terminal 3 Malaga Airport - 10 posts
Beware!!!!! forged notes!! - 10 posts
Fuengirola to Malaga train - 2 posts
Moving To Spain! Advice Please.... - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x