Can I Get an NIE Number Whilst In The UK ?

Published on 11/12/2008 in Expat Life

If you want to get a NIE number before going to Spain, one way is you can get hold of a Spanish speaking property lawyer, who will be able to help in getting your number for you. Although you will need to be in Spain about 2 to 3 weeks later to pick up your form.

This form will help you to be able to purchase that Spanish property you were hoping to get without too much delay. Of course, you will need to pay a fixed fee at most places you go to get this service and it can be quite expensive !.

A Spanish Numero de Identificacion de extranjeros, is a number that is needed by a foreigner who might have some sort of economic interest in Spain, but who is not from Spain. The number is also a tax number which needs to be used in any dealings you have with the Spanish authorities for taxes, like buying or selling property, mortgage applications, operating a business, bank accounts, inheritance dealings, a driver license application, and several other kinds of transactions.

If you or anyone you know happens to be thinking of buying property in Spain, a NIE number will be required. Usually people aren't even aware that they will need this special number. This is because a lot of people are not advised correctly.

If there is more than one person who is going to be listed as the purchaser they will need a number too, and will have to have this before signing the deed of sale. If you are getting ready to look for property in Spain, you should really fill out the application as soon as possible.

It's not always certain how long the issue of this number will take, and this delay may affect the purchase of the property going through. The number itself is a simple A4 sized paper that shows not only your name, but your date of birth and of course an official stamp.

The number has seven letters with an X in the front of them although the newer forms now start with a Y. You can either get the form to apply for a number at a local police station in Spain, download one from the Spanish Ministry, or in the UK from a Spanish property solicitor. The best option if trying to get a NIE number whilst in the UK Via the Spanish Consulate.

All the paperwork is naturally in Spanish so make sure you can translate back to English. When you apply for a NIE number you will need to apply in person at the Foreigner's Department. Try and pick a station that is closest to where you plan on getting the property, plus you may need to visit Spain at least twice to finish the application.

You can go to the Spanish Embassy in the UK and apply there too for a number, but this way of getting the number will take around 3 to 4 Weeks. Or you could also get a number by going through an attorney. The process of getting a NIE number is easy but very time consuming. So try and get the process started before looking into property.

Written by: Stephen Magill

About the author:NIE Number Answers

Right arrow icon Send to friends   Right arrow icon Printer friendly version    Right arrow icon Submit your own article


Fatima said:
10 August 2013 @ 12:02

Alan,Well I had a chance to read your book on the way home from Cali on the ailparne. If your Website was an employee would you fire it. I thought it was very helpful and enjoyable. It made me think and realize alot of important factors I am missing or what I would do to change. I would highly recommend this book. For those that think there website is perfect then they need to buy this book. I did. I can tell you that Alan Berg hit every point and question I had brought to attention was answered in his book. All I can say is buy it!!! I can't wait to see Alan speak again at MBA in October. Thank you Alan for taking the time and speaking to me at WEVA. You are an inspiration and you gave me hope on change. I will be contacting you to go over my areas on a private level.Rich StecklerInfinity Films

John Coady said:
26 January 2011 @ 03:22

I read with interest, but all responses are from 2009, is this still the case now? I am looking to relocate to Spain and start a business this year, i was hoping to rent for the first year am i better coming over there and staying for a couple of months to sort out the paperwork, can anyone advise?
I was looking to set up in Calahonda
John Coady

lauraleigh said:
16 February 2009 @ 23:46

im able to get u an NIE no. while your in the uk just need a fotocopy of your passport!

Sanchez1 said:
22 January 2009 @ 15:33

I tried to get mine at the Spanish Consulate in Manchester. On the form I had put that I was moving to Spain permanently. I received a reply from Madrid about a month later to say that for those planning to spend more than 3 months in Spain, you have to apply in person at your local police station. I ended up getting mine in Estepona, which was fairly painless.

rapp said:
15 December 2008 @ 17:03

We went to the Spanish Consulate in Manchester, the process was very easy with the forms we had downloaded. We had without charge our NIE numbers from Madrid in around 3 weeks

Marksfish said:
15 December 2008 @ 12:11

Our solicitor was able to apply to Cartagena to gain our NIE's without us being present. We did have to give them power of attorney for the application and also open a bank account there to prove we had a reason for wanting the number issued there.


jools50 said:
12 December 2008 @ 18:44

3 to 4 weeks to get a NIE number in the UK!!!!!!!
We have 5 clients all waiting between 3 and 4 months in the UK, Holland and South Africa.
Finca-Casa-Aragon S.L.

Only registered users can comment on this article. Please Sign In or Register now.

Comment Using Facebook:

Related articles in this category

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Justin And Eye on Spain

12 Spanish Words That Have Absolutely No English Equivalent.

A Helping Hand In Spain

A Sideways View Of Expat Life

Adventures of a Pink Brit - Part 1

Adventures of a Pink Brit - Part 2

Are British Expatriates Really Integrating?

Are There Any Thirty Somethings Left?

Being on TV - A Help or a Hindrance?

Bored and bitchy – The Brits who Settle for Costa living

Can I Get an NIE Number Whilst In The UK ?

Castilian Spanish - The Storyteller Way

Confusion About Free UK Television in Spain - Freeview Or Freesat?

Contesting A Spanish Will

Crisis - So What's New?

Expat Financial Planning - Why It Is Different

Expat Life - Accentuate The Positive

Expats Drinking To Excess

Expats Suffering Due To The Weak Pound

Expats Twice As Likely To Suffer Stress-Related Illness

Fiestas And Siestas Miles Apart

Frustrated Spanish Lust

Giving Up The Telly In Spain

Global Survey Reveals Impact Of Weak Pound On Expats

Green Fishing - A Pink Brit Story

Integrating in Spain - Easier Not To?

Is Spain Forever?

Is the grass greener on the other side?

Just Another Morning In La Contraviesa

Life On The Farm Part 1 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 2 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 3 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 4 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 5 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 6 - Clive And June's Story

Life On The Farm Part 7 - Clive And June's Story

Madrid Here We Come!

More Resources Needed for International Families in Catalunya

Myths About Life In Spain

Nostalgia In England

Old Style Living In Spain

People Go Back

Pink Brit Saves Spanish Resort

Retruning to the UK? UK Housing Market Update

Spain - Making The Most Of It

The Cyber Hippy - An Attainable Lifestyle, Appealing to the Most Conventional People

The Other Version Of Expat Life In Spain

The Spanish Dinner Party

The Top 5 Newbie-Expat Mistakes

Top 7 Most Annoying Clichés About Spain

Who's Left in Spain?

Why Does It Take a Move To Spain For An Improved Quality of Life?

Why Expats Move Back to the UK From Spain

Click here for a list of all the articles from our magazine 

Spain insurance services

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x